Anyone played Sky-roulette and won? (account cancelling, not online betting)

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
My Sky charges kept going up as various old discounts ran out and I was/am paying over 100/month, albeit for Sky Q, an additional mini box, sport, movies and on demand. and broadband. and a landline I don't even have a phone plugged in to lol . 

The cancellation team only had tiny discounts to offer so I went ahead and confirmed the cancellation. 

I wondering if I'll now get a better offer through? If not I'm happy starting again from scratch somewhere, although I may still have ot get a Now TV pass for the F1. 
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413

With Virgin, I find if I cancel the expensive stuff, then I get a phone call a few weeks later offering me a deal.

When I cancelled Sky Sports, I got a call a couple of weeks later offering me half price Sky Sports for 6 months. 

I downsized the TV package, and I did eventually get a call offering me the large TV package for only £5 a month extra - and that includes BT Sports.  I think that is nominally meant to be £18 per month.  That deal is for 12 months, so I'll have to remember to phone up and downsize again before it goes up.  In the meantime I can watch the Ashes on BT Sports.

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    My father and brother both cancelled their respective SKY accounts. The secret is to do it in writing, by snail mail.

Begin by ever so formally notifying SKY of your intention to close your account and end your direct debit payments at a nominated date a few months in the future. (Expect telephone calls offering "special" offer inducements.) Write a second letter, asking them to contact you to agree a date for closing your account. Please DO NOT contact me about anything else. (Expect unsolicited contact offering "even more special" offers.) Do not allow yourself to be diverted from your goal to close your account.

There is an independent website that explains all of this, step by step. If I can remember its name, I shall post it in this Discussion.
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
    My father and brother both cancelled their respective SKY accounts. The secret is to do it in writing, by snail mail.

Begin by ever so formally notifying SKY of your intention to close your account and end your direct debit payments at a nominated date a few months in the future. (Expect telephone calls offering "special" offer inducements.) Write a second letter, asking them to contact you to agree a date for closing your account. Please DO NOT contact me about anything else. (Expect unsolicited contact offering "even more special" offers.) Do not allow yourself to be diverted from your goal to close your account.

There is an independent website that explains all of this, step by step. If I can remember its name, I shall post it in this Discussion.
    ah I've already got an end date for my services. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • danodano Frets: 1568
    edited July 2019
    I cancelled sky 12 months ago and never looked back. Had sky sports which I rarely watched plus usual family/ kids stuff. I'd had years of renegotiating and getting £10/20 off here and there but always kept creeping up mid contract.  

I got a free Now TV stick, had a month trial and very easy to use. It's owned by sky but a lot cheaper. 

We have the kids package, entertainment package and sky movies for  £25 a month and just runs on my broadband no problems. 

Can't see myself every going back to Sky.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I'm going to need Sky F1 coverage, be that direct or on Now TV 
    Red ones are better. 
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4288
    I cancelled Sky. It was actually really easy. I didn’t get any of the normal hassle people normally complain about. 

They did make some good offers but I didn’t want Sky Sports. Only BT Sport which they obviously can’t do. 

Since going to Virgin I’ve had numerous calls and emails from Sky making me offers of 6 months free this and that, but I’m contracted to Virgin for a year now. 

I found Sky more reliable service wise. I’ve had some issues with Virgin (although only my landline), but their fibre optic is bloody quick. Really, really quick. TV has been alright. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23941
    I cancelled and went with Freesat.

Never got a call about coming back.

I get a NowTV pass every now and again, usually for the rugby.

Saved me a grand a year. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Normally once you cancel you can immediately log in to your online account and be offered 50% off for 12 months. I've been on half price, including Q, for several years.
  • danodano Frets: 1568
    TimmyO said:
    Need ? You sound like a millenial !? (Just messing with you).

Normally once you cancel you can immediately log in to your online account and be offered 50% off for 12 months. I've been on half price, including Q, for several years.
    Hmm - not getting that 
    Red ones are better. 
    dano said:
    TimmyO said:
    Need ? You sound like a millenial !? (Just messing with you).

When it comes to watching the F1 I accept any digs going - it's my only sporting interest! :-) 
    Red ones are better. 
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4254
    I ditched Sky about a year ago. They have been hunting me ever since. Got a couple of Roku boxes, and use Netflix, Now Tv, Amazon, all for a fraction of Sky prices. Make sure you get a device that deals with varying frame rates etc., as that can ruin your viewing.  Although, no matter what you do, sport looks awful on Now TV. All Now TV is only 720p, but it's not that, there is defo something going on with frame rates. Football is almost unwatchable. 
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4118
    We ditched Sky several years ago now. We occasionally get a NowTV pass and catch up with some shows we want to watch and find that so much easier than dealing with Sky the traditional way. 

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    I generally have a haggle with them at end of contract.
    I keep meaning to have a time of being TV-free, but never quite seem to get 'round to it.
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

Ditched SKY about 15 years ago and never looked back.

Netflix is the way forward for me, love it and at only £8 a month I'm more than happy.

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1467
    I'm paying £30 a month for Sky Q with everything but sports and movies, which I don't think is unreasonable. There's a decent number of shows/series we like. It's got kids stuff for when we want to distract the boy and have 5 mins to sit down and recharge and enough recording facilities/space for all the stuff we want. I'll probably look to replace with Now TV when our 12 month contract is over (I've been with Sky nearly 20 years and never really had a complaint and always seem to get good deals when I try and cancel), as I've finally got decent broadband in the new house, through Virgin.

Sounds like Now TV would be your way forward Tim, if it's just the F1 you're interested in.  
    it took a while but 'stay with us' offer started appearing on my account page. 

I decided to take them up on it - looks like I'll be paying less than I was in return for re-contracting for 12 months, at which time presumably I go around the merry go round again 

Despite simply accepting the offer they presented this seems to heave sent their systems into a bit of a spiral - different services seem to take different amounts of time to update status so some things still look cancelled some things look like they aren't on the account but do work - hopefully once it settles down I'll still have the services and will be paying a bit less than I was. It's still "lots" though once broadband etc is included. Ho hum. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    Where's your loyalty, I have a device fitted to my heart and if it stops beating Rupert Murdoch will appear within 2 minutes with a difibrillator to make sure I keep paying my exorbitant bill.

Plus we have netflix and amazon prime, apparently teenagers shrivel up like slugs if they can't watch old episodes of friends and hell's kitchen and moody american teen dramas.
    munckee said:
    Where's your loyalty, I have a device fitted to my heart and if it stops beating Rupert Murdoch will appear within 2 minutes with a difibrillator to make sure I keep paying my exorbitant bill.

Plus we have netflix and amazon prime, apparently teenagers shrivel up like slugs if they can't watch old episodes of friends and hell's kitchen and moody american teen dramas.
    yep netflix and prime here too lol 
    Red ones are better. 
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    I recently haggled with a Sky - been with them for 20+ years and I haggle each time a deal comes to an end. This time I managed to negotiate a better deal thanI got last time for less per month! 
    We are all Chameleons...