Has anyone here taken the Police to court? (Updated Thread)

What's Hot
BeyondSanctorumBeyondSanctorum Frets: 24
edited August 2019 in Off Topic
My house was recently burgled and we were quickly able to establish who had stolen the items. He was duly let go by the police with a slapped wrist despite having multiple charges already on his record for stealing, driving offences and drug offences but I digress.

All the items were recovered, amongst the items stolen were 2 Swords,(a Katana and Wakizashi) and the police have since returned all items but 1 of the swords. When the officer brought the items round he apologised as he had forgot one of the swords and said we would have it by the end of the week.

A week went by and we didn't have the item back so I called his direct number multiple times and also emailed him and he is not responding to any of my contact. After this I called non-emergency number and they advised me he is not dealing with this and passed me the name of one his colleagues.

I then called her and she said they didn't have the sword anymore to which I told her they definitely did. She gave me her details and told me she would look into it. Again I gave her a full week and she hasn't contacted me so I have emailed her multiple times to no response. 

As you can imagine I am getting really pissed off with them and want to make a complaint. I sent an email to a complaints email address I found for my local constabulary and they have responded saying I have no grounds for complaint despite them losing my valuable item.

I am desperate to get the sword back as the swords were bought by my Grandfather in 1979 (and brought back in hand luggage, how times have changed) and gifted to me on my 18th Birthday.

If anyone has any advice on how to proceed I would be grateful.

Thanks, 
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ColsCols Frets: 6953
    Sorry to hear.  Try this:

https://policeconduct.gov.uk/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WoodandwiresWoodandwires Frets: 195
    Direct to the police and crime commissioner or chief inspector by registered mail. Contact your local press and/or MP
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4065
    Get back in touch with thr burglar,  he'll be able to sort you out. 
    15reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1686
    Yeah, they dont want to give that back to you. I've seen them do this before. They'll try and run you around until you give up. Don't.

Cops man.. criminals get let off but the victim gets treated like one.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    That's a bit rubbish. Surely one of the cops didn't nick it!?!?
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2099
    edited July 2019
    There's a guy on Youtube called Crimebodge who offers advice. I've no idea if this is his sort of thing but could be worth a try.

*edit -  he has a website too.... https://crimebodge.com/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31367
    Anyone who's been busted for weed is familiar with this. 

They knew I wasn't going to leap to my feet in court and shout "Hang on, there was way more than that!"

Coppers Tax, that's all it is. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    axisus said:
    That's a bit rubbish. Surely one of the cops didn't nick it!?!?
    No, that would be unthinkable.
    Cops and crims, often both sides of the same coin.
    A lot of cops think they're above the law.
    I fear the OP has got a huge mountain to climb if he wants his stuff back.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71953
    BeyondSanctorum said:

I then called her and she said they didn't have the sword anymore to which I told her they definitely did.
    As p90fool says, I'm sure *they* don't have it any more. But one of them does, unless he/she has sold it already...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Revolting1Revolting1 Frets: 295
    Stop  the emails and put it all in writing- the superintendant or chief super may work for starters.
    When logic and proportion
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23919
    Sue them for it.

You are suing to get something back rather than money so you can't use the online money claims service. You'll have to do it properly.

But first - write to them in the old fashioned way and inform them you will be suing them. It's called a Letter before Action.

Then if they don't reply - get the Claim Form from the court service website, fill it in, and sue.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
    I've heard Twitter seems to get things moving, no one like their dirty laundry being aired in public!
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5827

I wrote to: CST Directorate of Professional Standards

Empress State Building,

22nd floor, Lille Road,

London SW6 1TR.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26748
    Send a message in a bottle? 

(sorry..)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    18reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18376
    Hi @BeyondSanctorum ;
    Sorry to hear about your situation, hope you get a positive result.
    Not being a smartarse, but I noticed that your FB location has you in 
    Beijing?
    If this is the case, it would considerably affect the legal advice being offered here (mainly UK).
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11805
    Daily Mail obviously, they love this stuff. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    if you are of a certain faith/sexual proclivity or have been culturally abused you need to focus on this immediately.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    Dirty protest.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1742
    I sympathise with your situation and i may be wrong but aren't some of these things which are classed as dangerous weapons actually banned from possession in private as well as a public place. The legislation is confusing but it mentions swords with a blade which exceeds 50cm and is under 100 years old. There is a new Offensive Weapons Act which received the Royal assent in May 2019. Just wondering if that is the reason they are not returning one though they certainly should be upfront about it.