Danocaster Guitars Shut Down

What's Hot
WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 730
in Guitar tFB Trader
www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    Wasn’t expecting that. 

I get how he feels in a way. I know I haven’t been doing this that long in the grand scheme of things but only yesterday I made the decision to stop working so much and commit more time to my family. 

I’ll bet he’ll be relieved when the last guitar goes out and I hope he enjoys the next phase of his life. Massive respect for him.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26749
    Never heard a bad word about the guitars or the guy. Part of me wishes he'd keep going but with a higher price list, but I fully understand if he just wants to step away completely. 

Might have a quick look on reverb today before prices for used ones inevitably go up...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 880
    There is a lovely green one for sale in the classifieds at the moment but the seller may have a change of heart now.
    tFB Trader
    Mmmmmmm.... 

JD is taking the piss, no? 

https://i.imgur.com/C4crkie.png
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1170
    edited July 2019
    Yep, seems like Dan just closed his business to enjoy life in the sun. Good for him. He made some of the best Fender style guitars available today.

I'm the seller of the "lovely green" one in the sales. I haven't had a change of heart. I love that guitar, but I also have a Masterbuilt for sale. Whichever one sells, I'll keep the other.

The Danocaster is probably one of the best teles I've played. With Dan out of commission and no more Peter Florence pickups, it would be hard to find another one like this, so yes I've unshamefully followed the trend and increased my price after being contacted by a lot of people in the last 24h over reverb (mine is still the cheapest one on reverb at the moment).

But I have absolutely no complaints if it doesn't sell.
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2330
    edited July 2019
    Had a Freakin' era blackguard T a while back. Nice guitar but not the last word in Tele. I'd have kept it otherwise. I'm sure he's made the right decision and all credit to him for putting health before wealth.
     He created a 'monster' like lots of successful one man bands these days...the road to burnout from there is pretty short accelerated by social media and clients unrealistic demands and expectations. 
  • andrewawardandrewaward Frets: 1155
    edited July 2019
    In his early days I supplied Dan with quite a few orignal 60s jazzmaster tort pickguards and original 60s Jazzmaster pickups for his builds. Back then he was using the traditional F jazzmaster shaped headstock. If one of these ones come up for sale I'd think it would sell for quite a bit
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4254
    He may go down as the finest assembler of pre built parts in guitar history.

10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    CloudNine said:

Judging from the gigantic waiting list, seems like people are into that. You'd think that what fender does is radically different, but actually, it's not... even at a Masterbuilt level. Trust me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4254
    brooom said:
    CloudNine said:

Judging from the gigantic waiting list, seems like people are into that. You'd think that what fender does is radically different, but actually, it's not... even at a Masterbuilt level. Trust me.
    I don't think comparison to the big F is really relevant here, but I would indeed question the price of Masterbuilt guitars especially. I have owned a good few Team Built and played quite a few MB's and can't see, feel or hear any difference.... I currently have a couple of Rocketfire Strat's, fully built in house, down to the pickups (which as it happens appear in a large proportion of Dano guitars), and I prefer both to the Fender guitars I have owned, especially tonally. Never played a Danocaster, but one of my mates played a few and judged it was mostly hype. Good guitars, but not special particularly.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2019
    Fully agree on the teambuilt/masterbuilt. Has I've had many of both. Never had RocketFire pickups in any of my Danos. Always chose Peter Florence.

Regarding the whether it's special or not... feel free to drop by and try mine, for curiosity's sake if nothing else. Then you can decide whether it is or not.
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    Best of luck to him. I'll miss all his guitars on my IG feed... he has a really exceptional touch with the faded '60s metallics. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    brooom said:

I'm the seller of the "lovely green" one in the sales. I haven't had a change of heart. I love that guitar, but I also have a Masterbuilt for sale. Whichever one sells, I'll keep the other.

Apologies, referring to the Dano as 'lovely green' is underselling it,  It looks fantastic. 
    If I were in your enviable position I would definitely keep the Dano and sell the Masterbuilt. There will be a few hundred other Masterbuilts about by the end of the year.

At prices I have them right now, it's very likely I'll keep both  B)

It's ok, I should only keep one to be honest. I have to much stuff as it is. Just bumped the price on the Dano temporarily until the "danocaster is no more" frenzy is over.
    tFB Trader
    CloudNine said:

Not John Cruz? Hmmm
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    CloudNine said:

Not John Cruz? Hmmm
    Exactly, have a wisdom.
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    So basically all the guitars people couldn’t sell last week are now going up in price to still be sat unsold in another months time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
    Nope, actually lots of them sold in the last 2 days, both in reverb and at LA vintage gear. Their only distributor.
    Golly but some of those single cuts are very lovely.
    The most surprising thing is the Ron Ellis pickups.