Turbo Spider Catcher

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18385
    hywelg said:
    What's wrong with your hands?

It's not as though we have black widows here.

I'm not concerned about bites, I'm concerned about the spiders being damaged.
    I use my 'assistive device' as the big buggers are really rather fast...and pretty fragile, hence no trying to drop a glass on them either.
    They won't stay confined in a smooth plastic tube (check the photo for the hasty cotton wool plug) much less a hand or two.
    Using a powerful vacuum ensures they are removed with a minimum of fuss & damage to them.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Sassafras said:
    I once shot a spider from about 50 feet away with a BSA Scorpion air pistol with fixed sights. I got it square in the body, death was instantaneous. Not a bad shot even if I say so myself.
    I used to have a BSA Scorpion too, lent it to a 'friend' never seen again... B)
    I still have a few .22 rifles & a Victory CP2 for occasional target practice & thankfully very occasional rat dispatching.
    A shot at 50 feet with a Scorpion would be very impressive (even with the optional shoulder stock), given the spring recoil is pretty violent.
    However, my situation involves spiders IN the house, so while legal, it just might not be the safest option to be firing pellets near the telly & my guitars ( although my expertise in relicing is scant, this might be exactly how to do it).  :) ;)
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    As a teen, I had a Crossman pump up .177 air rifle. I found that two pumps worth of air blasted at a spider in my bedroom was enough to convert it into very small pieces, even from across the room. A bit of chewed-up tissue was even better!

These days we put down Acclaim around each room's perimeter and have a can of red Raid for anything that evades that. Both the Mrs and I have spider phobias, so aren't a lot of help to each other.

Our long departed cat wouldn't catch spiders, but she would always point them out to us.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5596
    Sod that shit! Size 11 slipper, job done!

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• proggyproggy Frets: 5827
    I'm with @Iamnobody , leave spiders alone, they're our friends - they eat flies.

I leave them alone providing they leave me alone!  Flies are also useful in the ecosystem, but they're still likely to be on the end of a rolled up newspaper or can of Raid!

• PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 941
    I was once sat playing guitar on a futon in the spare bedroom of my old terraced Victorian house , when a massive spider ran across the floor opposite from one end to the other ,disappearing behind a corner unit, I thought ' just ignore it, its only  one'.
    A couple of minutes later another ran across, ' odd to see two' I thought but no need to panic,
     a couple of more minutes later another ran past ..
    'fucking hell I've got a nest of giant spiders' I screamed internally,.
     The next one I thought I'd follow it and try and find where they're coming from,  It ran in front of me along the wall and under the unit, then from the unit along the side wall, then along the long wall behind me then back round in front of me, - it was the same spider doing laps of the room!
    So glad I didn't scream for the wife!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KeikoKeiko Frets: 962
    edited July 2019
    They will breed if you don't chuck them out. Sod that. The main reason they come in the house more in Autumn is because they are looking for a mate. So if you let them hook up you'll be infested in no time.

I just picked up a 4x12 on ebay that had been sat in someones living room unused for years. When I opened it up there were hundreds of house spider 'skins', from hatchling to full size, loads of egg sacs, and a few full size dead ones. Chuck them out. Let them breed in the shed or something, not in your living room.

Flies and moths I can cope with in the house. Big spiders no. I think they tend to eat woodlice and other ground based creepy crawlies anyway rather than flies, that's garden spiders.
    Keiko said:
    They will breed if you don't chuck them out. Sod that. The main reason they come in the house more in Autumn is because they are looking for a mate. So if you let them hook up you'll be infested in no time.

I just picked up a 4x12 on ebay that had been sat in someones living room unused for years. When I opened it up there were hundreds of house spider 'skins', from hatchling to full size, loads of egg sacs, and a few full size dead ones. Chuck them out. Let them breed in the shed or something, not in your living room.

Flies and moths I can cope with in the house. Big spiders no. I think they tend to eat woodlice and other ground based creepy crawlies anyway rather than flies, that's garden spiders.
    Too true about the sex type thing.
    Life's complicated enough without being accused of running an unlicensed spider brothel, so out to the woodpile they go  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I recall once being over my best mates house. He always had a fly swat laying around and on this particular day there was a fly buzzing around. I grabbed the swatting device and gave said fly a whack with it as it landed on the patio doors. 

Rather than killing it, the fly simply dropped to the floor and looked a bit stunned. As it regained its equilibrium a massive spider shot out from a small gap in the carpet where it met the frame of the patio doors and grabbed the fly before scurrying back into its hiding place with its free meal!

I’d have had to burn the place to the ground! 

I’m so glad I wasn’t born in some place like Brazil where they have spiders that will actually chase you, hide under toilet seats and the like! There’s even a phenomenon over there where the spiders all make a massive web and then use it to catch the wind to migrate to a different location. 

Look up and all you see are hundreds of spiders in the air! No thanks!

• MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3627
    We call my 87 year old Father Spider Man.  He's not agile, he just can't get out of the bath.

Now, where's my coat?
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Is the correct answer  ;)