Has anyone here taken the Police to court? (Updated Thread)

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31367
    Just shows, the answer to every thread is not always "Katana". 

I have no experience of the Beijing police force, the nearest I ever got was having to bribe cops in India.
    :)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    p90fool said:

I have no experience of the Beijing police force, the nearest I ever got was having to bribe cops in India.
    I have a friend living in Vietnam.. he has to drop off a bottle of whisky with his local police chief every month.. :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12253
    They probably ruined it during an ad hoc game of Fruit Ninja down at the station
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31367
    LuttiS said:
    p90fool said:

I have a friend living in Vietnam.. he has to drop off a bottle of whisky with his local police chief every month.. :) 
    See, that's how it should work here. 
    They could link it to your file at the DVLA to see if you were up to date. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    ronnyb said:
    I sympathise with your situation and i may be wrong but aren't some of these things which are classed as dangerous weapons actually banned from possession in private as well as a public place. The legislation is confusing but it mentions swords with a blade which exceeds 50cm and is under 100 years old. There is a new Offensive Weapons Act which received the Royal assent in May 2019. Just wondering if that is the reason they are not returning one though they certainly should be upfront about it. 
    Not quite. "Samurai swords", specifically curved katana style weapons, can no longer be bought, sold or imported in the UK without valid reason (e.g. martial arts club membership holders), but private possession is not illegal.
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Yawn. Another “Chinese policeman steals ancient sword” thread :(
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I didn't realise I had my location set to Beijing. I live in South West England. 

I think I might try twitter as it worked very effectively against HSBC when they were messing me about.

I'll also try letters to all the places that have been mentioned. 

• jdgmjdgm Frets: 850
    Put it in writing to the Chief Constable of your area and copy the letter to your MP.
    That will get some response.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18374
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I didn't realise I had my location set to Beijing. I live in South West England. 

I think I might try twitter as it worked very effectively against HSBC when they were messing me about.

I'll also try letters to all the places that have been mentioned. 

Ah, so. Looks like all the advice here will actually be useful to you  :)
    Local radio might be interested, or even "You & Yours' on Radio 4.
     Worth a thought as the media loves unusual stories like this.
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5325
    This happened to my dad years ago, with a stolen motorbike. He just contacted the chief constable and said if it wasn't sorted pronto he'd be in touch with the local and national press and his MP by X time.

Cue a meat wagon screaming to a halt outside our house and a bunch of coppers hurriedly getting the bike out.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Snags said:
    This happened to my dad years ago, with a stolen motorbike. He just contacted the chief constable and said if it wasn't sorted pronto he'd be in touch with the local and national press and his MP by X time.

Cue a meat wagon screaming to a halt outside our house and a bunch of coppers hurriedly getting the bike out.
    I think you will be right with this approach. It is so bloody stupid though, just do your job properly and we wouldn't have to make threats and go on facebook/twitter and bash companies/agencies
  • I have contacted the Chief of my area's Police. Now we wait. 
  • Revolting1Revolting1 Frets: 295
    edited July 2019
    Drive carefully o
    When logic and proportion
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7076
    I have contacted the Chief of my area's Police. Now we wait. 
    Don't spend too long waiting for the storm, for that way you will never enjoy the sunshine.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • So since the last post on here I have contacted the Police again this time going to the highest officer in the area.

We are now being fobbed off through a pointless complaint service and the Police are now denying they ever had the swords. We know this is a lie as 
    a) we have one of the swords back
    b) there were 7 people present at the time swords were recovered (4 Police officers, 2 people who went to meet the offender to get the swords back and the offender himself)
    c) the officer who brought the other sword back said he had seen the smaller one. 

I mean shouldn't all evidence be photographed and catalogued on arrival. Further to this surely an evidence locker should be locked and only accessible when access is granted. Also there must be CCTV in an evidence locker and you must have to sign anything out before taken. 

At this point I am losing the will to live. It is my most important possession and Gloucestershire Police are making no effort to find it or offer us suitable redress or compensation.

In the complaint response they have mentioned contacting us back which they have made absolutely no effort to do. 

Has anyone on here ever taken the Police to court for non-returned property?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7076
    IOPC you need I think.

https://www.policeconduct.gov.uk/

Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23906
    Whether anyone else on here has taken the police to court is irrelevant.

Your facts are not the same as anyone else. You will have to prove your loss.
    You can instruct a lawyer to do it for you - but if the value of the sword is under £10,000 you won't get your legal fees back if you win.

Or you can do it yourself.

Here's the link to the Claim Form (NOT the money only one as you want the item back, not money).

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/form-n1-claim-form-cpr-part-7

Read the notes.

Fill it in - get the name of the defendant right. Be nauseatingly detailed with dates / times / names / reference numbers etc. Look up examples of Particulars of Claim on the web (making sure they are for England / Wales courts. Not Scotland or anywhere else) to help you.

Send it to the court with the court fee.

Be aware that if Plod cannot find it then you need to argue for money as an alternative. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom