Glitter paint

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15928
Anyone know how this goes?

I've already bought white emulsion for the living room and Hooters now wants the glitter effect but rather than scrap the batch of ordinary white emulsion i guess we can make our own glitter paint,yeah?

Looking for a subtle effect rather than a Chinese nookie factory look.......wot's the procedure........ anyone?

Thanks guys  :)
tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5327
    Invite some small children round and give them a craft set?
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12258
    Pour glitter into paint, stir, apply paint. Start off with a little bit and see if you need to add more.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2358
    Is this a thing now? Sounds awful
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    I think glitter paint in the home could be like a tattoo, looks great at the time but you soon regret it.
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    Sassafras said:
    I think glitter paint in the home could be like a tattoo, looks great at the time but you soon regret it.

A bit like sponge painting in the 90's
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12315
    We did my daughters bedroom in Barbie pink with glitter effect. (She was 5 at the time). 

Paint on base colour emulsion and let dry. 

Mix in glitter with PVA. 

Paint glitter mix over base coat. It’ll look milky when you put it on but it dries clear. 

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18389
    boogieman said:
    We did my daughters bedroom in Barbie pink with glitter effect. (She was 5 at the time). 

Paint on base colour emulsion and let dry. 

Mix in glitter with PVA. 

Paint glitter mix over base coat. It’ll look milky when you put it on but it dries clear. 

Mixing the glitter into the paint will just give you a textured surface as the opaque paint will cover the glitter particles.
    PVA is a better idea as it suspends the glitter in the medium.
    I would mix water into the PVA as well, to thin it & give a viscosity that is much easier to work with.
    It will dry to a slightly glossy sheen, but will be more wipe clean, if that's an issue  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
    I'm a bit stunned that we're talking about putting glitter paint on a living room like it's a thing that sane people do... 
    Red ones are better. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Trying to not judge, only trying to help  ;) =)
    Not really my thing though too, but hey  *shrugs*
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
    Person: "Im making a shed out of mince - any suggestions for the best brand?"

Forum: "Try co-op mince it's really good"

Me: "dafuq?"
    Red ones are better. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    I would think subsequent coats of paint in the future will have glitter shapes showing, the new artex blot on decorating. It will be a bitch to get rid of. The tattoo analogy being a good one. 
    ESBlonde said:
    I would think subsequent coats of paint in the future will have glitter shapes showing, the new artex blot on decorating. It will be a bitch to get rid of. The tattoo analogy being a good one. 

Ah well, we did the glitter paint over lining paper so we stripped the whole lot off when my daughter got bored with it
    It'd be the last thing I'd want on my walls:

Sassafras said:
    It'd be the last thing I'd want on my walls:

Oh, I wouldn't mind, so long as there weren't too many lumps left after the pureeing process & the smell wasn't an issue.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14324
    By Gadd. 
    Be seeing you.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    edited July 2019
    Glitter contains lots of micro plastic. I would certainly not use it around the house. Kids can ingest tiny bits of it and it can do all kinds of harm to them, plus it's really bad for the environment.
    ^ Yeah, he's had a lot of cosmetic work, he's definitely not safe near kids & is a waste of oxygen.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Ossyrocks said:
    Glitter contains lots of micro plastic. I would certainly not use it around the house. Kids can ingest tiny bits of it and it can do all kinds of harm to them, plus it's really bad for the environment.
    Maybe if you fed your kids once in a while they'd be less inclined to eat the paintwork.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Ossyrocks said:
    If you apply it like I said ^ the glitter is imbedded in PVA so there’s no chance of kids eating it. 
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12258
    edited July 2019
    As the father of a young girl my house is fucking covered in the stuff, the amount of times I’ve gone into work and someone has said “you’ve got glitter on your face” I look like Ziggy fucking Stardust
    "OUR TOSSPOT"