My dad died last night.

What's Hot

Comments

• ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    My mum died last month and it is difficult to cope with all the things that surround the death of a parent. But, as a few people have said already, take one thing at a time and be ruthless with focusing on the most important things. CAB or similar with all the follow up info they will require needs to be sorted out ASAP.

Things will improve if you do this.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5382
    Sad news and you have my condolence.
    I lost my dad (my hero) many years ago but he and my mother are still alive in my mind and memories so in time I hope yours are too.
    Tough call on your housing but you have sound advice from many sources already and I agree totally that you need to be proactive about this matter.
    In my experience, things always work out. That is based on taking control of situations as and when they arise.
    All the best to you and yours.
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    rlw said:
    Tenancy can be inherited and most HA will honour this once.  Go to the Shelter website and check that you are covered.  Hopefully you are.
    My dad died in 1977 and I think about him everyday.  You never get over it but it gets better with time.  My thoughts are with you. 

Thank you to you all for your kind words and advice, it means a lot. I haven't even cried yet I just feel numb.

The problem I have is the tenancy agreement was inherited by my dad when my mum died so according to the housing officer it can't be inherited again. I'll be phoning around on Monday trying to get as much help as possible, the mental health team should be able to help to some degree.

Again, thank you to you all you've been a great help.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    condolences
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Go to your GP to get a letter detailing your health problems and get to the council homeless department.

All the best mate.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Unfortunately HA are correct,  succession of tenancies is a once only event.

Go to your GP to get a letter detailing your health problems and get to the council homeless department.

All the best mate.

I've had a meeting with a housing officer and have been told I can stay in the home until a suitable one bed home becomes available. I have the right to a tenancy just not on the family home but it looks like I'm going to be fine thanks to the very much appreciated help from the princess trust and mental health team. I can breath out and relax now, many thanks to all of you for your advice and support.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 349
    Sorry for your loss.  It’s great to hear that you have the support, and the strengthen in yourself, to have found a way forward.  Very best wishes to you.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18379
    zepp76 said:

All the best mate.

I've had a meeting with a housing officer and have been told I can stay in the home until a suitable one bed home becomes available. I have the right to a tenancy just not on the family home but it looks like I'm going to be fine thanks to the very much appreciated help from the princess trust and mental health team. I can breath out and relax now, many thanks to all of you for your advice and support.
    Great news. Good things can still happen, even in the darkest times.
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    Really pleased for you!
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4902
    Good to hear that, zepp, great news.

• DB1DB1 Frets: 5024
    That's great to hear - kudos to you for getting hold of the situation so quickly. At least it's one (huge) thing less to worry about. All the best to you.
    Call me Dave.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    zepp76 said:
    That's great news, takes a lot of stress out of the situation.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15476
    really glad to hear that zepp, you needed to catch a break.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Excellent news ! Now focus on your losing Dad, it's equally as important that you resolve all of that too !

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Jalapeno said:
    Excellent news ! Now focus on your losing Dad, it's equally as important that you resolve all of that too !

Yes you're right I haven't really mourned the loss of my dad since all this happened. He is being cremated on Thursday and myself and my brother are going down to Devon to spread his ashes, it'll give us time to connect again as we've had a bit of a strained relationship.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14032
    tFB Trader
    JezWynd said:
    zepp76 said:
    That's great news, takes a lot of stress out of the situation.
    agree - Best wishes
    Some more good news from a meeting with the housing officer today, I have been successful in my application to the rights to inherit the tenancy from my dad. It gives me the right to stay here indefinitely until I/ they find me a one bedroom home. I was also successful in my application to be put on the housing list and have been put on the high priority list due to my mental health and also because I would be giving up a three bedroom house for a one bedroom place. I don't have to worry about rent until they sort out the tenancy transfer, giving me a bit of breathing space. I doff my hat to the housing officer and lady from the Princess trust, they have been nothing but amazing during this hard time. And thank you again to you all for your help and support, I love this place, I truly do!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71957
    Sorry for your loss, and glad to hear the house situation is safe for now.

This may seem rather cold advice currently, and it will probably be emotionally difficult, but make a start on clearing your dad's things as soon as you can, so that when your new house becomes available you don't have to rush to do it all at the last minute. It's amazing how much there is to go through and it's even worse to have to deal with it under pressure. When we had to clear my mother-in-law's house - which was only a little 2-bed one - it was shocking how much work it was.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

ICBM said:
    Sorry for your loss, and glad to hear the house situation is safe for now.

This may seem rather cold advice currently, and it will probably be emotionally difficult, but make a start on clearing your dad's things as soon as you can, so that when your new house becomes available you don't have to rush to do it all at the last minute. It's amazing how much there is to go through and it's even worse to have to deal with it under pressure. When we had to clear my mother-in-law's house - which was only a little 2-bed one - it was shocking how much work it was.
    Hi @ICBM Thank you for your reply and advice, I have pretty much cleared out dad's stuff already it's just his bedroom I have to do now which I just can't bring myself to go into just yet. I know it has to be done but I need to just take a break from the clearing and try to come to terms with the loss which really hits me hard when I see his room. I'm pretty much on top of everything else.
  • zepp76 said:

All the best mate.

Many condolences, and well done for getting through the more practical issues. 

Good little support network on this forum - it's helped me more than I ever thought it could. Hope things start looking up for you soon.