Which broadband?

the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1778
edited July 2019 in Off Topic
We’re currently with Virgin for broadband and tv but we’re going to sack off their tv package Nd go back to freesat. We still need broadband though so asking for recommendations. 

Are they all really much of a muchness these days or any done more reliable than others? I’m thinking Plusnet and their cable seems like a good option at £28/month for 65mbit (average) unlimited. 

Any advice would be very welcome
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18383
    I'm with Plusnet. Can't speak for anyone else's experience, but they have been pretty good.
    Their customer service is easily contactable & in the UK. Not a xenophobic thing, but having once spent over an hour talking to someone in India trying to sort out my parents TalkTalk BB issues, that is an experience I'll happily pay to avoid ever again.
    Also, just like here at FB, the Plusnet community is very knowledgable and helpful, also the company take part too.

Expect the next advice here to disagree with me 100%  ;) :3

• tekbowtekbow Frets: 1686
    +1 for Plusnet
  • Dav275Dav275 Frets: 291
    Been with Plusnet the last 5 years. Was ok, but recently switched to Direct Save Telecom @ £16.95/m.   Same service and all ok so far.  We're very rural, so speeds/service is limited by Openreach network, irrespective of supplier.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Zen are an order of magnitude better than all the other options.
    They are more expensive though.
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2489
    I moved from BT to plusnet last year and will be moving back this year. Cannot remember ever dripping connection with BT. Happens every day with plusnet - I guess it depends on area etc, but my experience is not good
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1778
    I moved from BT to plusnet last year and will be moving back this year. Cannot remember ever dripping connection with BT. Happens every day with plusnet - I guess it depends on area etc, but my experience is not good
    Is that on fibre or normal phone line?
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11811
    BT, it’s a really solid connection, I think it went down may be once ever for 30 mins in years since I had fibre.
    the_jaffa said:
    Fibre
    the_jaffa said:
    Fibre
    Hmm, that’s not great. 
  • KeikoKeiko Frets: 962
    Virgin are the best, I think you will regret ditching them. I would just contact them and tell them your needs. They will reduce your bill if you tell them you're thinking of switching.
    Keiko said:
    Virgin are the best, I think you will regret ditching them. I would just contact them and tell them your needs. They will reduce your bill if you tell them you're thinking of switching.
    That’s the plan but I need an alternative in case they call my bluff. 
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1468
    We recently moved house and I'm using Virgin BB for the first time....I doubt I'll ever go back to anything else, but will always try and reduce my bill every 12 months. 

I wouldn't hesitate to go back to Sky if they supplied fibre in my area, but they don't currently. 

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18383
    the_jaffa said:
    the_jaffa said:
    Fibre
    Hmm, that’s not great. 
    What did I say  :)
    I went from BT to Plusnet after years of really awful BB, customer services & associated experiences.
    Initially I did have a few issues with Plusnet too, but it turned out that the problem was in the infrastructure.
    BT consistently denied the problem existed & accordingly refused to keep trying to correct it.
    Turns out they were looking at the wrong exchange box...  :s
    Plusnet (a BT owned company) fixed it & I have not had any issues since ( copper initially, then fibre, FTTC).
    @lovestrat74's  problems sounds like infrastructure to me, but who knows.
    YMMV...
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    Just changed from Plusnet (which was crap for speed and somethings just cutting out) to Onesteam which is fiber. Its fast and so far reliable, all for £20 a month. That's with no landline phone or any other add on extras.
    the_jaffa said:
    the_jaffa said:
    Fibre
    Hmm, that’s not great. 
    What did I say  :)
    I went from BT to Plusnet after years of really awful BB, customer services & associated experiences.
    Initially I did have a few issues with Plusnet too, but it turned out that the problem was in the infrastructure.
    BT consistently denied the problem existed & accordingly refused to keep trying to correct it.
    Turns out they were looking at the wrong exchange box...  :s
    Plusnet (a BT owned company) fixed it & I have not had any issues since ( copper initially, then fibre, FTTC).
    @lovestrat74's  problems sounds like infrastructure to me, but who knows.
    YMMV...
    Ha, just as you predicted. I think you might be right about the local infrastructure being the most important thing. 

We’ll see what Virgin day first then looks like plusnet should be ok
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5326
    the_jaffa said:
    Fibre
    Did anything else change around the same time, e.g. an extra phone plugged in somewhere in the house on an unfiltered connection?
    Snags said:
    the_jaffa said:
    Fibre
    Did anything else change around the same time, e.g. an extra phone plugged in somewhere in the house on an unfiltered connection?
    No, nothing. Weird as they will be using the same line in and infrastructure that BT did... Anyway, not long now until contract is up and I'll be off.