The cricket thread

What's Hot

Comments

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    Now that the dust is beginning to settle, let the ramping up for the Ashes commence.

If you want sustained drama then I would pick Mike Atherton and Jack Russell against South Africa in 1995. That was unbelievable.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SouthpawMarkSouthpawMark Frets: 620
    Playing cricket on Saturday for the first time in ages, then watching yesterday has inspired me to get back in to playing. This morning I fired off an email to the team in my village. I’m sure they’ll be greatly interested in someone who hasn’t played for 12 years, and currently cannot move... 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11411
    Playing cricket on Saturday for the first time in ages, then watching yesterday has inspired me to get back in to playing. This morning I fired off an email to the team in my village. I’m sure they’ll be greatly interested in someone who hasn’t played for 12 years, and currently cannot move... 

When I was down in Devon, it was often a challenge for teams to get 11 bodies on the pitch.  I remember one game we roped my Dad in even though he was close to 50, and had probably never played an organised game of cricket since leaving school.  If you know which end of a bat is which, they will probably be desperate - especially once the school holidays start and they will be short of players.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3487
    crunchman said: 

In any sport, people forget the great players and performances of the past.

You see it in cricket.  A few years ago, various young idiots were arguing that Tendulkar was the greatest ever.  Being old enough to remember Richards, he's not as good as Richards, let alone Bradman.

I follow the NFL, and I see it there too.  There are a lot young journalists in their 20s and early 30s on various NFL websites, and they haven't got a clue about players from before 2000.  For them, all the greatest players to have ever played are from the last 15 years.  They don't seem to know that players that I can remember, like Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, Reggie White, and Lawrence Taylor, ever existed.  Then there are great players of the past that I can't remember - like Jim Brown and Mean Joe Greene.

I agree about people over looking sportsmen of the past. 

I'm not one to ever say a sportsman of one era is the greatest, across eras conditions and the sport itself changes IMO it's never really possible to make an accurate comparison. 

I'd rather just see great sportsmen being celebrated opposed for often needless and pointless comparisons, eg 'How would WG Grace fare at playing T20 cricket?'

Back to cricket, I even think it's near enough impossible to compare white ball stats from now to a few years ago, all the new rule changes (2 new white balls, powerplay restrictions) in addition to changes in field drainage have made the game a little different to what it was a few years ago. 
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929

I agree about people over looking sportsmen of the past. 

This is so true, I came 5th in my daughter's junior school Dad's race back in 1997. No-one remembers that.

Can someone help me list out the songs played during the CWC2019? Not the ones the guitarists played along to but the other recorded songs. 

Neil Diamond - Sweet Caroline
    Queen - We Will Rock You

What's the one that goes "De dah de dah dah, De Dah De Dah Dah..." etc?

• steveledzepsteveledzep Frets: 1172
    I recall hearing Seven Nation Army - White Stripes, not sure if it was during the final though.
  • jhumberjhumber Frets: 238
    Can someone help me list out the songs played during the CWC2019? Not the ones the guitarists played along to but the other recorded songs. 

Queen - We Will Rock You

The main song that got played in the stadiums was "Stand By" by Loryn (which I think was the 'official song', it certainly got played plenty). Other songs that got played over the PA a fair amount were Courage by Pink, and Ruby by Kaiser Chiefs.
    jhumber said:

Queen - We Will Rock You

The main song that got played in the stadiums was "Stand By" by Loryn (which I think was the 'official song', it certainly got played plenty). Other songs that got played over the PA a fair amount were Courage by Pink, and Ruby by Kaiser Chiefs.
    It's the one that gets all te crowd chanting, sounds all jolly and happy like a Madness or Bad Manners instrumental, “De da de da da etc, just a tune not singing. I think it's saxophones. What is it? It's driving me nuts, they played it in the final.

edited July 2019
    Found it: Tom Hark

It's either The Piranhas version or the Football one done for 2010:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK9Mg6gXGdk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnJdGuQbJUo

...and I already have The Piranhas version in iTunes on a Ska Mania compilation. Clearly not played very often!

The T20s start up tomorrow, I've never really watched much of it before except the finals day, I think I might take in a few games.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/48976116

More importantly, interesting squad for the Ireland Test:

Joe Root (Yorkshire) captain

Moeen Ali (Worcestershire)

Jimmy Anderson (Lancashire)

Jonny Bairstow (Yorkshire)

Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire)

Rory Burns (Surrey)

Sam Curran (Surrey)

Joe Denly (Kent)

Lewis Gregory (Somerset)

Jack Leach (Somerset)

Jason Roy (Surrey)

Olly Stone (Warwickshire)

Chris Woakes (Warwickshire)

Anderson in the squad, but I'm not sure if he will be fit enough to play.  Stokes, Archer and Buttler rested.

Looks like Roy will be opening the batting.  Not sure that will work.

Be interesting to see which spinner is selected.  With Curran, Woakes, and Gregory there, there is enough batting depth to play Leach, who is the better bowler.

I'm not familiar with some the guys, are they being given a spin as a potential trial for The Ashes?

Most of them are in contention, but Stone and Gregory are likely to be replaced by Archer and Stokes for the Ashes.  With Mark Wood now injured, and out for 4 to 6 weeks, it could mean Stone comes into the reckoning, but he will be behind Archer in the pecking order.  He does give that option of genuine pace though.

The fact that Leach is in the Squad means that they are at least considering him.  Given Moeen's recent batting woes, and his fragility against the short ball, his batting isn't as big an advantage over Leach as it used to be.  For me, you just have to pick the best bowler - Leach.

• Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1384
    jhumber said:

Queen - We Will Rock You

I hate all this marketing "let's create an experience" shite in sports. Music constantly pumped out when there is a lull or break in play. Not just cricket but rugby. I'm not a fan of cricket so luckily didn't have to put up with it on tv. It's only a matter of time before it comes into tennis in between games or before serves.....
    jhumber said:

Queen - We Will Rock You

I hate all this marketing "let's create an experience" shite in sports. Music constantly pumped out when there is a lull or break in play. Not just cricket but rugby. I'm not a fan of cricket so luckily didn't have to put up with it on tv. It's only a matter of time before it comes into tennis in between games or before serves.....
    In the case of tennis it would improve it.  Do it during the points as well to drown out Nadal's grunting.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30824

Was in Lords Pav as Eoin Morgan was carrying the Cup last night. As he walked past I asked if I hold it.

"Sure," was Morgs' reply- it's as much yours as it is mine" was the incredibly classy response.

Wow. No wonder players regard him as a true leader.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 429
    tFB Trader
    Gassage said:

Was in Lords Pav as Eoin Morgan was carrying the Cup last night. As he walked past I asked if I hold it.

"Sure," was Morgs' reply- it's as much yours as it is mine" was the incredibly classy response.

that is very classy indeed
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30824
    Gassage said:

that is very classy indeed

AB dV last night- 30k crowd and he put on a masterclass. 88 off 40- hit one 115m onto Grandstand roof off Dan Lawrence. Biggest one I've ever seen at Lord's with the poss exception of Gooch's 6 off Hirwani in 1990. That landed in the Nursery Ground.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.