One fret, one string, buzz...

What's Hot
darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11745
Right, got a small technical issue.

My Squier VM Jazzmaster (the "Jizzmaster" as I call it) is mostly a nice sounding, very playable cheap guitar, especially now it has a staytrem bridge.

However, despite trying a lot of different adjustments and string heights, I get fret buzz, but only on the low E string at the 9th fret...

Now the 10th fret is a bit higher than the 9th and 11th, but a TINY bit, its not rocking around like nickel elvis, and I've got perfect playing guitars where the frets arent all level (though I appreciate a trip to a tech would allow for a lower action).

Any ideas how to resolve this?  Currently the strings are off as I've been fiddling so much the high E snapped, so I can do most things to it.
You are the dreamer, and the dream...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• You need a fret level. If you are lucky it may only be some individual frets that need fettling. You need to get the whole of the neck checked 1st.

This is likely to cost about £80 from a luthier.

It will cost a  lot more to buy the tools yourself (as I did) and learn how to do it. That ideally needs a notched straight edge, fret rocker, leveling beam and 'dedicated' files. It also takes a fair amount of care and attention!
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11745
    I'd definitely lean more in the direction of a luthier, it's a nice guitar despite it's relatively humble pedigree...
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    Get a fret rocker- they are cheap.

This is, as stated, likely to be due to a high fret.
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    If it's just 1 fret it's a relatively easy job. If it was me I'd try tapping the 10th down with the handle of a screwdriver first, and if that doesn't work, put masking tape either side of the fret, and sand it down a bit with ~400 grit sandpaper. You just need to do the bit under the low E since that's the only place with the issue.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gary_macgary_mac Frets: 66
    Maynehead said:
    If it's just 1 fret it's a relatively easy job. If it was me I'd try tapping the 10th down with the handle of a screwdriver first, and if that doesn't work, put masking tape either side of the fret, and sand it down a bit with ~400 grit sandpaper. You just need to do the bit under the low E since that's the only place with the issue.
    Then reshape it, otherwise the fret will be flat on the top, which you don't want. =)
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    gary_mac said:
    Maynehead said:
    Then reshape it, otherwise the fret will be flat on the top, which you don't want. =)
    If you do the spot sanding with your finger, the softness of the flesh will naturally create a crown.
  • Revolting1Revolting1 Frets: 295
    ^ As above and use a shortish straight edge to check height relative to nearby frets regularly as you go.
    =)
    When logic and proportion
  • CasperCasterCasperCaster Frets: 760
    Low E only? Check the end of the 10th fret is seated properly - could be lifting slightly at the edge?
    Low E only? Check the end of the 10th fret is seated properly - could be lifting slightly at the edge?
    Yes I'll definitely go in with a plastic mallet before I go in with the sandpaper :)
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14181
    tFB Trader
    Might also be a kink in the string - try a new low E as well
    Might also be a kink in the string - try a new low E as well
    Thanks - inevitable at this point as the old ones are stripped off!