Gretsch 6228 - A few little changes :) what do you think?

dean111musicdean111music Frets: 278
edited July 2019 in Guitar
I just posted this on Gretsch pages but thought this would be of interest on here.

I’ll get some before and after pics on here but what do you think?

http://www.gretsch-talk.com/threads/6228-mods-complete-what-you-think.193759/

Thanks to @Fifty9 for the tv jones classics they sound awesome! 
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5653
    I actually ‘aaaaaaaahhhh’d’ out loud when i got to the bigsby shots  <3
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    I'm no gretsch expert but love he look of them, looks like you made a huge improvement..

I was looking at towner system for my 335 copy, can I ask did you get it from the french place on Ebay?  How is tuning stability and what are string changes like?
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7744
    Love the Gretsch headstock logo.  A Gretsch without a Bigsby look wrong to me. Much better!
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Looks great! Really interesting to see a guitar change so much by the simple addition of a bigsby. The “after” photos look far more inspiring.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9984
    tFB Trader
    We seem to have all gone a bit Gretsch bonkers round here at the moment ... personally I think it makes a nice change from Tele, Strat and LP/SG obsession! Love your improvements!
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• dean111musicdean111music Frets: 278
    munckee said:
    I'm no gretsch expert but love he look of them, looks like you made a huge improvement..

I was looking at towner system for my 335 copy, can I ask did you get it from the french place on Ebay?  How is tuning stability and what are string changes like?
    I did! Very quick delivery and very helpful. Recommend! 

So far no major tuning issues but need to report back in a month or two. Only had it on for a day :)

to be honest putting strings on was easy. I twisted the ball end around a pen then gave it an extra kink near the ball end. Easy. I do have locking tuners which made that end easy.

fandango said:
    Looks great! Really interesting to see a guitar change so much by the simple addition of a bigsby. The “after” photos look far more inspiring.
    Thanks so much! I’m loving the guitar much more now and think it has that classic look still

We seem to have all gone a bit Gretsch bonkers round here at the moment ... personally I think it makes a nice change from Tele, Strat and LP/SG obsession! Love your improvements!
    They are awesome guitars. Inbetween a tele and Les Paul. They are actually a better design than a les Paul, break angle comfort and versitille In my opinion.

glad you dig it 
    fandango said:
    Thanks! It is more inspiring to play for sure 

TheMarlin said:
    Love the Gretsch headstock logo.  A Gretsch without a Bigsby look wrong to me. Much better!
    It’s now more classic looking and sounding 
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 321
    I think the original 50s ‘solid’ body Gretsch guitars are among the coolest looking guitars ever made.

I really dislike the V shaped stop bar, so the changes you made look great to me. Lovely guitar.

I should try one, as I love the sound and have played but have never owned a hollow Gretsch, and a hollow body is not compatible with a sleeping child and a small flat.
    Matt_McG said:
    I think the original 50s ‘solid’ body Gretsch guitars are among the coolest looking guitars ever made.

I really dislike the V shaped stop bar, so the changes you made look great to me. Lovely guitar.

I should try one, as I love the sound and have played but have never owned a hollow Gretsch, and a hollow body is not compatible with a sleeping child and a small flat.
    This is what I exactly my thoughts where. I could have of got a vintage select but I much preferred the modern feel of the 6228. 

I feel eel I have the playability of a modern gretsch but the look of an old one :)