"The Game Changers" Vegan sports documentary

What's Hot

Comments

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15476
    edited July 2019
    VimFuego said:
    I think the thing to take away from this is that a vegan diet is not intrinsically healthy and a omnivore diet is not intrinsically unhealthy, healthy diets are healthy. And probably the most important piece of advice is take medical or dietary advice from a qualified and regulated professional and not from a fking youtube video. 
    or common sense? i've never felt the need to go to a qualified person to feed my family, have you?
    I tend to use the NHS guidlines, tad more scientific than ''common sense'' and less prone to crank. 

EDIT: should point out, in case it's still not clear, I have no issue with vegans, I have never met a person who does have an issue with vegans, I have never seen organised protests outside factories making vegan products, I have never called, nor seen any other omnivore call, a vegan a murderer. I have never started a thread extolling the virtues of a meat based diet. I hope this is all clear now.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12258
    I’m sorry but I don’t believe you consult the NHS website when wondering what to have for tea ;)
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15476
    edited July 2019
    I’m sorry but I don’t believe you consult the NHS website when wondering what to have for tea
    lol strawman. read what I wrote. NHS guidelines (the word I used, so important) is small amount of meat, complex carbs and lots of veg. Which is pretty much what I'll have, Basically, a common sense dinner. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Read winky eye ;)
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    RiftAmps said:
    Who gives a flying feck what someone else has for their dinner?
    This is definitely the key issue. Part of society seems to be too worried about what other people are doing when really it doesn't have any impact on them whatsoever
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    If it makes people talk about the subject without slinging arrows then it’s a good thing, and if along the way a few people choose to live a life where they are no longer condoning cruelty then that’s good too.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    VimFuego said:
    I’m sorry but I don’t believe you consult the NHS website when wondering what to have for tea
    lol strawman. read what I wrote. NHS guidelines (the word I used, so important) is small amount of meat, complex carbs and lots of veg. Which is pretty much what I'll have, Basically, a common sense dinner. 

There is plenty and emerging evidence to suggest that the NHS nutritional guidelines have no scientific backing. Furthermore a diet based around the Eat Well Diet, as it is called, is responsible for much of our current crisis of modern diseases.

Did you know that USA no longer recommends a low fat diet? Our current recommend diet - yep, that same NHS Eat Well Diet - was taken from Ancel Keyes research in the 1950s and 60s in America, now regarded as deeply flawed and skewed towards his aim proving his own diet heart hypothesis was correct, and that saturated fat raising cholesterol was to blame. It wasn't, and the data just is not there.

However, this country has been slow to respond. Parliament is currently hearing evidence on nutrition with a view to changing the guidelines. Tom Watson is heavily (no pun intended) involved in this. 

Forget omnivore / vegan / vegetarian / paleo diets. Look at which foods are the richest source of the essential nutrients and minerals we need to survive and flourish. That's easy to look up. 

If you then chose to only eat a select few of them due to moral issues that's quite understandable, but you'll probably need to supplement for the things you cannot get naturally. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12881
    edited July 2019
    VimFuego said:
    not quite sure what the point is here, is it that vegan diets can be healthy? If so, I don't think anyone with half a brain has ever disputed it. But diets containing meat can also be healthy, but with significantly lower levels of sanctimony. 
    My wife is vegan and has been for about teb years. I am not. 

Based on my experiences [observing her interactions with others] I can assure you that meat eaters give just as good as they get when it comes to sanctimony.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuego said:
    not quite sure what the point is here, is it that vegan diets can be healthy? If so, I don't think anyone with half a brain has ever disputed it. But diets containing meat can also be healthy, but with significantly lower levels of sanctimony. 
    My wife is vegan and has been for about teb years. I am not. 

Based on my experiences I can assure you that meat eaters give just as good as they get when it comes to sanctimony.

Are you admitting to bullying your wife? Bit weird.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    No, just an observation of interactions between my wife and other people.

Meat eaters are phenomenally good at starting a "conversation" about the ethics of food and then pretending that it was foisted on them :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • It sounded like you were saying you bully her all the time, since you're a meat eater.

As for the movie.. I'll wait to see what Shredded Sports Science says about it.

Bye!

Edited for clarity :)
  • musteatbrainmusteatbrain Frets: 871
    Clarence Kennedy hits near world record totals for Olympic lifting.... he’s a bloody vegan :)
    As for famous vegan sports stars, i seem to remember both Williams sisters eat vegan diets, and there are several vegan heavyweight boxers. Doubt you'd tell too many of them they weren't strong enough ;-)
  • musteatbrainmusteatbrain Frets: 871
    I should probably be less flippant than my earlier comment.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/barbend.com/clarence-kennedy-vegan-breakfast/amp/

Here’s an example of what he eats.
    It looks like a chore, I think it’s possibly easier to stay lean as a vegan. So in power sports that require a certain weight classification to be maintained, it’s no bad thing.
  • Let's hold up the extreme edges of fitness and extrapolate that out to what and how the general public should be eating. Good game.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    When did we become so vociferous and so obsessed with faddy diets?
    Come to that, when did we become so obsessed with food to the point where every other programme on telly is a cookery show and you hear of 'celebrity' chefs being compared to rock or movie stars.
    I couldn't care less what people eat, I just don't want to listen to them whining on about it.
    I was a vegan for 7 or 8 years and I wasn't any healthier or unhealthier than when I was a carnivore.
    No-one lives forever.
    These days I eat a balanced diet and avoid processed crap (which I think is probably the biggest threat to our health).
    I'm not the healthiest person in the world but neither am I on my last legs 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4085
    Dr Frankenstein could be called a body builder 
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

Just mix it up.

I enjoy vegetarian options, it just makes a change and adds variety.

Being vegan has gone beyond a moral choice and has become fashionable, with people choosing take offence if you are not one of them.

For what it's worth I believe it is far more important to choose ethically sourced products.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1297
    VimFuego said:
    VimFuego said:
    Hello, vegan here. My gf is a vegan powerlifter. We are both constantly told that our diets are deficient, don't have enough protein etc etc.
    which is why I said anyone with half a brain. It's so important to actually read what is written and respond to that.
    No you should buy a Veloster!