Epiphone Probuckers- any good?

Revolting1Revolting1 Frets: 295
edited July 2019 in Guitar
Upgrading a G&l Ascari I bought by accident a while ago.
It's got stock humbuckers-badly balanced but sound ok humbucking individually,

also very thin single coil.     

Probuckers usually well balanced? any good single coil?
   Are the coiltaps pots switches n wiring looms any good?
   The wire looks a bit thin woud happily replace that if is worthwhile? 

Or should I look at something else- looking for old PAF stylye level of hotness.

Know Strats n Teles reasonably well but these are new territory for me           o

Thanks ;)
When logic and proportion
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11670
    I've got an Epi LP Custom Pro with Probuckers, I think it sounds brilliant.

In a straight comparison with other HB guitars, significantly less muddy than the older pickups on my Dot, and more trebly and aggressive sounding than the Burstbucker Pros on my Gibson LP Studio Faded.

Hope that helps.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • Revolting1Revolting1 Frets: 295
       It does help captain- are they balanced with volume and tone pots at maximum?

Thanks                             :)
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    The stock G&L Ascari humbuckers are loosely similar to the ubiquitous Duncan JB/59 pair or the Duncan Designed HB102B/101N. Thus, the neck/Rhythm position pickup is already in PAF territory. 

You might only need to change one pickup to arrive at a balanced pair. 

The coil split sounds might be improved by adding capacitors to get a “tuned” partial split.

Another idea is to add a 181pF capacitor as a treble bypass on the volume pot. 

If you are willing to drill holes, the best solution of all would be individual volume pots for each humbucker.
    Be seeing you.
  • PonchoGregPonchoGreg Frets: 764
    I tried a Sheraton with probuckers recently - I was very impressed. A nice step up from the epi pickups of old, just a good sounding set of pickups - not handwound levels of definition but really nice sounding.
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11670
       It does help captain- are they balanced with volume and tone pots at maximum?

Thanks                             :)
    I'd say they probably are now as good as I personally need them to be, YMMV.

When I got the guitar it was obviously one that had been in the warehouse for a while, and it needed a fair bit of setting up, cleaning, polishing etc to get right, I think I got the right pickup heights off the internet and set them using a height gauge thing while doing that, and it got me where I wanted to be.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • simonhpiemansimonhpieman Frets: 681
    I had them on an Epi 335 Pro. The guitar was junk but it sounded fantastic. Loved it on coil tap mode, too. Great sound on a semi (oo err)
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4080
    I had them on a custom pro too and they sounded real great , someone said they sounded better than my Duncan slash signature ones
  • Revolting1Revolting1 Frets: 295
    Can't dial the ascari pups in at a sweet height for both, and the neck pups got a murky bottom end as soon as I overdrive it slighly above light crunch at whatever height           :anguished:  :'(
      Probably a nasty neck pup as the bridge one sounds considerably better and they are sharing tone pot and capacitor.

The Ascari is 9 years old  well polished frets - no choking and a low action
         Mahogany set neck and body-clueless as to which variety- there are many....
           Plenty of sustain
       Its hardly been played.  =)

Fed the fretboard and gave it a new set of roto blues- 10/52 this afternoon
         Re adjusted pup heights again but still a murky bridge.

Probuckers look to be a good solution.
                  Many thanks for the input                                      =)