Eddie Murphy

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31370
    Sassafras said:
    I'm listening to a bloke called Terry Alderton on the radio at the moment. He's described as an award winning comedian.
    I'm trying to work out what the award was for, possibly a darts or snooker prize.
    I'm not sure whether that show is working tbh, some of it does, some of it doesn't. 

I'll give it a chance for a few episodes because I saw him in a tiny comedy club in Bristol years ago and he was fantastic.
    Surreal show in parts, but looping around to an incredibly clever and funny conclusion, it was genuinely hilarious. 

Although we were less than ten feet from the stage it took us a while into his act to realise that he'd also been the support act as well, in heavy disguise. 

So I'll give his radio show a couple more episodes to see if it settles down. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    Sassafras said:
    Russell Brand, Ricky Gervais, Jimmy Carr, Jack Whitehall.
    All awful, especially Russell Brand, the dirty looking mockney tosser.
    Jimmy Carr & Keith Lemon have me reaching for the off switch.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24211
    I don't get these "Artist A is amazing, artist B is shit" threads.  It's entirely subjective.  It's horses for courses.  It's the exact reason there are so many different flavours of art in every discipline.  It's like having a thread discussing vegetables....  "I think carrots are awesome!". OMG No! - they are disgusting!  The best vegetable is onions!.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • WiresDreamDisastersWiresDreamDisasters Frets: 16664
    edited July 2019
    Emp_Fab said:
    I don't get these "Artist A is amazing, artist B is shit" threads.  It's entirely subjective.  It's horses for courses.  It's the exact reason there are so many different flavours of art in every discipline.  It's like having a thread discussing vegetables....  "I think carrots are awesome!". OMG No! - they are disgusting!  The best vegetable is onions!.
    You're only saying that because you love Michael MacIntyre.

Bye!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15477
    /\ /\ true, but I think we can all get behind the idea that Michael MacIntyre is crap tho. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

He's the highest earning standup in the country.  Whatever your personal preferences are, you can hardly say "he's crap".  It just means that a hell of a lot more people find him funnier than you do.

Which nicely ties in with my theory of most of the general public being thick as pigshit.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    someone or something can be popular and crap, in fact popular entertainment is littered with examples, the 2 are not automatically exclusive. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    No.  Something can be popular with others and crap to you.  It's not crap to them.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Emp_Fab said:
    No.  Something can be popular with others and crap to you.  It's not crap to them.
    History will decide who's crap.
    Ah, here we go, history has just decided McIntyre's crap.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Emp_Fab said:
    well, I'll never get in the way of someone being wrong.

• I now have an urge to sit and watch 'Trading Places' for 37th time, bloody love that film! 

My faves of the current crop are most definitely Stewart Lee and Aziz Ansari. Ansari's shows Parks and Recs and Master of None (Netflix exclusive) are genius, and his recent Netflix special hour long stand-up gig is brilliant.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_Fab said:
    Taste is indeed subject, eye of the beholder, etc, etc, all that crap.

Bye!

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18389
    p90fool said:
    Sassafras said:
    I'm listening to a bloke called Terry Alderton on the radio at the moment. He's described as an award winning comedian.
    I'm trying to work out what the award was for, possibly a darts or snooker prize.
    I'm not sure whether that show is working tbh, some of it does, some of it doesn't. 

I'll give it a chance for a few episodes because I saw him in a tiny comedy club in Bristol years ago and he was fantastic.
    Surreal show in parts, but looping around to an incredibly clever and funny conclusion, it was genuinely hilarious. 

Although we were less than ten feet from the stage it took us a while into his act to realise that he'd also been the support act as well, in heavy disguise. 

So I'll give his radio show a couple more episodes to see if it settles down. 
    Thanks for posting that about Terry Alderton.
    I thought I had slipped into an alternative 1970's reality when I heard it. Who the hell namechecks Bobby Davro in a sketch show in 2019?
    Oh, wait, look who was credited as a co-writer...

"Written and performed by Terry Alderton
    Additional material: Richard Melvin, Julia Sutherland, Bobby Davro, Bob Tap, Paul Tonkinson, Steven Dick."

Like yourself, I'll listen again, but the first show was such a load, I went out to work on my bike.
    Unheard of between 6.30 -7pm on R4.
  • Bye!

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3049
    I watched the Eddie Murphy episode of Comedians in cars getting coffee last night and he was pretty great. Nice and natural.. and a funny guy.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"