Newly signed up to eBay - Any words of wisdom?

What's Hot
duotoneduotone Frets: 971
After discovering that my eBay account no longer exists (10 years+ since I’ve used it) I had to sign up for a new account.  

Am having a clear out, mainly clothes but some other bits and pieces as well.

I’m not encouraged to sign up for PayPal after hearing some of the hassles on here, but without it I’m not sure if many people would bother bidding.

So any words of wisdom or advice?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27342
    duotone said:
    Don't.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    edited July 2019
    If you can wait for the £1 total fees offers they frequently have. 

Send little time with people that ask numerous and odd questions regarding whatever you and selling. Ebays equivalent of a tire kicker, they nearly always never buy.

Unless it’s really niche stuff, I would only sell within the UK.

Ive never had problems with PayPal, probably impractical to have an EBay account without it.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18375
    edited July 2019
    duotone said:
    After discovering that my eBay account no longer exists (10 years+ since I’ve used it) I had to sign up for a new account.  

Am having a clear out, mainly clothes but some other bits and pieces as well.

I’m not encouraged to sign up for PayPal after hearing some of the hassles on here, but without it I’m not sure if many people would bother bidding.

Edit: miss read the 10 year as account time, not dormant!  Ouch! Not a resounding endorsement. Have you thought of Gumtree (used, OK), Shpock (not used), Preloved (not used) etc. etc.
    I have been fairly lucky with PayPal/eBay over the years, but I reckon its only a matter of time.
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7076
    bought loads off ebay, nothing too expensive so no big probs really, few items not as described but nothing mega

what puts me off selling is the fees though, ebay 10% on everything now yeah? then what? 2.9% on paypal?
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 971
    Zoolooter said:
    If you can wait for the £1 total fees offers they frequently have. 

Send little time with people that ask numerous and odd questions regarding whatever you and selling. Ebays equivalent of a tire kicker, they nearly always never buy.

Unless it’s really niche stuff, I would only sell within the UK.

Ive never had problems with PayPal, probably impractical to have an EBay account without it
      Cheers! Will keep any eye out for the £1 offer.  I thought the same about eBay/PayPal tbh, a necessary evil that I will more than likely sign up with.

tony99 said:
    bought loads off ebay, nothing too expensive so no big probs really, few items not as described but nothing mega

what puts me off selling is the fees though, ebay 10% on everything now yeah? then what? 2.9% on paypal?
    I’ll let you know!  Last thing I sold on there was a Vox Valvetronix amplifier 12-ish years ago, cannot remember what they used to take as a fee back then...but I’m sure it hasn’t gone down over the years.
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    I’ve used it a lot and PP..never really had any issue...

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4079
    I use eBay all the time since about 2001 buying and selling I get just about everything off there . Just sold a epiphone Les Paul and a bright onion footswitch . Just got to be careful and read up on places like this about dodgy sellers scams etc. PayPal is great use it on lots of other sites too, how on earth do you exist not using eBay and PayPal ?  It’s a necessity for me as I’m quite poor but using eBay and other online stores I can scrape buy, plus nectar points get me free stuff when I save enough
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4065
    Used dildos don't fetch much. 
  • Yes

Cash on collection only

You're welcome 
    edited October 2019
    Just a quick update.

All going well so far (*touch wood) sold 20 items of old clothes that no longer fit me any more.  A few time-waster questions, but those can be easily ignored/quickly replied to.

Am glad I signed up to it.

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7730
    edited October 2019
    Use paypal. It's a pain to sell and buy a lot without it. Buying is great. With selling wait for the £1 listings for high value items and just chuck low value items on as need be. I personally set BIN at fair prices most of the times but auctions can be useful as they may get more traffic on occasion. As a seller you will be shafted if the buyer is dodgy so treat it like any sales business, expecting occasional losses and just go about it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I've never had an eBay issue  and I've been on since pretty much day one.

Simple rule - check feedback. Don't deal with newbies or people with any negative feedback unless they have zillions of transactions. I've sold a few guitars and I refuse to deal with anyone without a gold standard track record.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Fretwired said:
    I've never had an eBay issue  and I've been on since pretty much day one.
    Me too.  I "manage" it.
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15923
    Mr GRIMSDALE!!
    tae be or not tae be