Pussy Stress

What's Hot
FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2377
edited July 2019 in Off Topic
No, not a thread about getting older, but one about a stray Bengal cat in my neighbourhood... any helpful advice is welcome!

We have three cats that keep getting attacked by a Bengal-like male cat. It looks very worse for wear, and is unneutered. We've posted on a local lost pets page on Facebook, and other people have the same issue with it as well (i.e. attacking their cats, getting in their house, spraying everywhere etc.).

A couple of people claim it's theirs, and despite everyone telling them for 4 months the location of where it's been spotted (constantly), they have ignored it and claim they are too busy to come and check. They then claimed their neighbour stole it. Later, they then claimed they've moved, and not sure if they're allowed a cat.

I'm obviously very dubious that these people would look after it if it was returned to them - the fact they have told 3 different stories, the cat looks rough and is not neutered, and we have all told them where it is and they cannot be arsed to collect it - would all tell me they are not responsible cat owners.

So, I've purchased a cat trap to try and catch it - it won't let anyone near it. I've spoken to the vets who have said to speak to cat rescue centres and take it there.... but all the rescue centres have said take it to a vets....!

As mean as it might be, I really do not want him going back to the people who claim he's theirs - if he is - even if his microchip states they are the owners; they seem completley irresponsible, and I have no doubt he won't be neutered and will be back terrorising our cats in no time.

Anyone have any advice? I'm half tempted to take it to a town 20 miles away and release it into a field if nowhere takes him in (although that seems rather unfair on the cat).
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I think the Croydon Cat Killer has gone freelance recently. Maybe give him a call?

Bye!

2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15475
    yup, if you catch him just drive him out for a while and let him go. We lost one of ours a year ago when she got attacked by a local tom cat, so fuck anyone else's feelings, if they're cat is the problem, there's nothing wrong with protecting yours. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71955
    If you can catch it, I would take it to a rescue centre - just tell them it was feral and you don't want it. If you go to a vet they'll want to give it back to you, probably with a bill.

When I was a kid, growing up in the country, there was a feral tom cat which terrorised all the local domestics - it was a really savage thing, in awful condition and probably would have been dangerous if handled... no-one wanted to deal with it, so my dad eventually shot it (shotgun). I love cats but I honestly think it was the best thing to do.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2377
    edited July 2019
    VimFuego said:
    yup, if you catch him just drive him out for a while and let him go. We lost one of ours a year ago when she got attacked by a local tom cat, so fuck anyone else's feelings, if they're cat is the problem, there's nothing wrong with protecting yours. 
    Cheers - just seems a shame that it has to suffer due to the f*cking 'owners'.

ICBM said:
    If you can catch it, I would take it to a rescue centre - just tell them it was feral and you don't want it. If you go to a vet they'll want to give it back to you, probably with a bill.

When I was a kid, growing up in the country, there was a feral tom cat which terrorised all the local domestics - it was a really savage thing, in awful condition and probably would have been dangerous if handled... no-one wanted to deal with it, so my dad eventually shot it (shotgun). I love cats but I honestly think it was the best thing to do.
    That's the other thing if we released it somewhere random - it would still terrorise the local cats there. Wouldn't be our issue anymore, but not exactly morally right...!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15475
    oddly enough, for about a year and a half we've been feeding a whole feral tom and while he's often showing scars from his wars, he's gentle as anything with ours. He was actually quite attached to the one we lost, would curl up and sleep with her. If he ever hangs around long enough we think we'll get him chopped, his wanderings are not doing him any favours. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• shrinkwrapshrinkwrap Frets: 512
    Are you near Bristol? Take him to that new wolf and bear park. He'll probably hold his own.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Aren't there any restaurants in your neighbourhood?
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18376
    Sassafras said:
    Aren't there any restaurants in your neighbourhood?
    You want to take the cat to a restaurant? 
    Presumably an Indian?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I'm with @ICBM .
    If you can catch it, take it to a rescue/rehoming centre. If it's un-neutered, it almost certainly won't be chipped.
    It's not the cat's fault, although it sounds like a really bad situation for all concerned.
    Pity about this as Bengals are stunning beasts.
    Bad people making bad pets again  :p

I'm with @ICBM .
    If you can catch it, take it to a rescue/rehoming centre. If it's un-neutered, it almost certainly won't be chipped.
    It's not the cat's fault, although it sounds like a really bad situation for all concerned.
    Pity about this as Bengals are stunning beasts.
    Bad people making bad pets again  :p

Yeah, I can see that he used to be a looker - but due to his lack of care, he's looking bloody awful. Think he has some eye infections as well, as they don't look right. He's a weird colouring as well - not the typical 'leopard' markings, but more like 'snow leopard' colouring.
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    Sounds like a "snow-spotted" Bengal - we have (a female) one - Lotus (named after the flower? Nope the car! Bloomin' breeders!).

Here she is:

People see Bengal cats and their markings, thinking how lovely they look but the thing to understand about Bengals is they are NOT like ordinary domesticated cats. They are very characterful but only a few steps away from a wild cat.

They don't like other cats generally and male ones can be an extreme handful. If they are not treated right they can get out of hand very quickly, becoming extremely difficult to control. Plus male Bengals are generally big, strong, muscular cats.

That said Lotus is quite small a very placid cat with a very good nature - she's a bit odd in that she doesn't chase birds in the garden, frogs or toads are more her line!

Maybe his owners bought him to use as a "stud" (to try to make money from) but have not been able to control him, so he's now got out of hand - very irresponsible not having him neutered.  
    We are all Chameleons...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    I have a Bengal cross with a maine coon.. he is like a clumsy psycho ninja jungle rug. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    LuttiS said:
    I have a Bengal cross with a maine coon.. he is like a clumsy psycho ninja jungle rug. 
    I require photo's  ;)
    Despite my FB name sounding cat related, it really isn't at all B)  I do however love cats, despite being violently allergic to them. Go figure Darwin...
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    LuttiS said:
    I require photo's  ;)
    Despite my FB name sounding cat related, it really isn't at all B)  I do however love cats, despite being violently allergic to them. Go figure Darwin...

5reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Good on you for going to the trouble & expense of getting a trap.
    As others said best choice is a rescue centre, vets don't really have facilities to deal with these situations & sorry to say some of them don't really seem to care much about animals. If you take him to a rescue place rather than phoning they might be more helpful. Probably a good idea to cover the boot of your car with bin liners or something as there's a good chance he'll piss out of the cage probably through terror. Alternatively the RSPCA might come & get him if you can catch him.
    Original "owners" should be out of the picture here, they've done nothing & clearly don't care. Even if they do live somewhere they can't have cats doesn't mean they can abandon him like this. 
    Hope you get this fixed for everyone's sake.
    Cage is arriving today..... And I had to fish Dave (one of our cats) out the tree again at 1am. This cat is a huge pain in the arse. 

Thinking of calling the RSPCA and explaining the situation - one rescue told us it has owners, I explained the situation, but they didn't care. Wondering if we state to the RSPCA that we're concerned about the cat's welfare if they'd do something.

Failing that - he'll be taken 20 miles away and released. Not ideal, but if nobody can take him in, I need to ensure our cats are safe. 

Bloody people.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11670
    LuttiS said:
    LuttiS said:
    I require photo's  ;)

@Luttis Best. Cat Picture. Ever.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71955
    FarleyUK said:

Thinking of calling the RSPCA and explaining the situation - one rescue told us it has owners, I explained the situation, but they didn't care. Wondering if we state to the RSPCA that we're concerned about the cat's welfare if they'd do something.

Failing that - he'll be taken 20 miles away and released. Not ideal, but if nobody can take him in, I need to ensure our cats are safe.
    Take him to a different cat rescue if necessary, and refuse to take him away again. Don’t just abandon him somewhere else.

I’m aware of the financial pressure cat rescue centres are under - our cat and the previous one came from there and we’re regular donors. But this is what they’re for.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @LuttiS  Gorgeous  <3  Ta.
    Just spoke to the RSPCA, and they were pretty useless. Explained the situation, and they were only interested as I said he 'might' have infected eyes. Gave me an incident number to use if I can take him to vets so his eyes can be checked.... but then he'd be back to the wankers that (probably) own him. I explained I was concerned about his welfare, but they didn't give a toss.

Also been speaking with a couple of local people who have had issues with him as well - one is in agreement about not giving him to the people who claim he's theirs; the other has a microchip reader and she is happy to come and scan him to see if he's chipped.

Cage is on the way, so will try and trap the fecker later....