Disgruntled after two lessons!

What's Hot
Guitar61Guitar61 Frets: 4
Hi guys , got my first guitar, electric, a couple months ago and making ok progress following YouTube videos. Decided to try lessons. Not sure what I was expecting but I've currently got a stash of printouts on major and minor scales, names of all the notes on 12 different pentatonic scales, on and on. I've watched him go up and down the scales as well as improvising. And listened to lots of tales of things he's done. I reckon I've put pick to strings for 2 or 3 minutes at most in the 3 or so hours we've been together.
Is this normal?
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Based on your description I’d say you need a new teacher.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 16reaction image Wisdom
  • I started lessons last September after playing on my own for 1 month and every lesson has had a substantial playing portion. Sometimes time is used to discuss theory etc.but most lessons should be about playing.

Guitar teachers are like any profession and many people who do it are incompetent or lazy. I would say to change teacher because you are just going to throw good money after bad. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3129
    Change teacher ASAP. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7743
    Get a new teacher. If you’re paying to watch him play at you, you’re wasting your money. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    It is true that some teachers use lessons as bit of a paid practice session for themselves.

What you want is someone who can get you the next step along the path, rather than overload you with stuff that is unachievable for many years.
    I never load students up with too much unless it is a one off 'master class' type lesson for someone who is already good at playing and really good at practicing.

Where in the UK are you?
    Someone here might know of a teacher they can recommend.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7743
    Where are you based? Someone may be able to recommend a better teacher.  
    My first teacher was excellent, had a few others since, but none were a patch on the first (except for the last one, he was great, just had a slight personality conflict)

• LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    I had a similar experience with a teacher.. however, for me i wanted the lessons to be very theory heavy... i can play but i wanted to understand what it was i was playing, so there was less playing and more conceptualising. 

If you're starting out, i'd probably get a new teacher and find one you're comfortable with.. It will dishearten you staying with this one and you will probably want to give up. Getting a teacher who is fun/inspiring and makes you feel like your making progress is so important at the beginning. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • You don't need lessons. Just keep going with the Youtube video and put in hour after hour. It'll be more rewarding too imho!

Bye!

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7080
    edited July 2019
    I'd actually say just play with other guitarists. You tend to pick up more by playing with other musicians and it helps to see how they put things together.

YouTube is great, but you can't stop and ask why and how etc

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• Guitar61Guitar61 Frets: 4
    Fantastic replies, guys. I really appreciate everyone that has taken the time to respond.
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1526
    Guitar61 said:
    Hi guys , got my first guitar, electric, a couple months ago and making ok progress following YouTube videos. Decided to try lessons. Not sure what I was expecting but I've currently got a stash of printouts on major and minor scales, names of all the notes on 12 different pentatonic scales, on and on. I've watched him go up and down the scales as well as improvising. And listened to lots of tales of things he's done. I reckon I've put pick to strings for 2 or 3 minutes at most in the 3 or so hours we've been together.
    Is this normal?
    Piss take. Get a new teacher lifes too short.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    My advice would be to contact your current teacher (out side of lessons), and advise him that you are not happy and tell him exactly what your playing goals are, and ask him to structure his lessons around that. I am not a guitar teacher but have "helped" a couple of people improve their playing, by listening to what they want to learn, and showing them how to best acheive it. For example if you want to play the blues, learning a few blues standards would be a good way to start. Give him one more lesson and see if it improves, if not find somebody else, or as already mentioned above in other posts, if you are self motivated,teach yourself with you tube videos, and play with as many other guitarists as you can. Good luck
  • Guitar61Guitar61 Frets: 4
    North Manchester
  • Revolting1Revolting1 Frets: 295
    If your teacher is not listening to what you can do, its impossible for them to assess what you need to be taught for you to improve.
     you are effectively being taught guitar theory rather tha how to actually play guitar.
       So for playing it- get a new teacher
    When logic and proportion
  • Definitely change teacher - it's mostly an unregulated industry so anyone with a guitar and even a basic set of skills can set themselves up as a teacher - there are also a fair number who are great players but awful teachers anyway! Try and source someone who has at least taken some teaching qualifications. In a lesson scenario a good teacher shouldn't be playing much anyway, the focus should be on your playing with him only performing in order to demonstrate/assist you. He should be able to analyse your playing and describe what you need to do verbally without even playing to you. Everyone learns differently as well and a good teacher will be able to recognise and accommodate which type of learner you are. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    Try practicing with a mirror on your fretting hand, you’ll be surprised how “off” you can be 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    The Justin Guitar website and course are excellent for beginners. You need to find a teacher who listens to you and what your aims are. Do you want to strum some chords and hear a recognisable song, or learn scales and theory etc. Good luck - there is a wealth of great stuff online now but a good guitar teacher can help identify areas that need work etc - it is a 2 way relationship tho!
  • kelpbedskelpbeds Frets: 180
    I'm a guitar teacher and I get this a lot from students who come to me from other teachers. The teacher needs to listen to what the student wants and design lessons appropriately. All mine are bespoke to the needs of the individual. The problem is a lot of guitar teachers aren't teachers - they are guitarists. I spent 20 years as a teacher so I know how to teach. Make s a massive difference. 
    Some teachers just instruct and don't always instruct well at that. I've had to re-explain a lot to students who have been misled.  Teaching is an art. 
    Check out my Blues lessons channel at:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBTSHf5NqVQDz0LzW2PC1Lw
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 614
    I think when learning things have to be kept simple ..as in a few chords and knock a few songs together then start introducing small parts of theory then actually start using it...it sounds as though the guy is reciting the full jazz theory book in the first lesson.....get a better teacher is my advice ..
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2418
    edited July 2019
    I agree with what has been said above: He’s not the right teacher for you and if you stick with him you will loose enthusiasm and maybe give up, which would be a shame.

A good teacher should firstly ask you what music you particularly like: Rock? Metal? Pop? Country? Folk? Jazz? Other? He should then bear that in mind in his tuition. His aim should be to give you a good basic musical knowledge and playing technique but also to get you attempting your favourite music, even simplified, as soon as practically possible. That will maintain your interest and hopefully bring a smile or two to your face. Endless scales is not the way to achieve that IMO. Good luck.