Hearing band next door via Jazzmaster

What's Hot
longshinslongshins Frets: 246
My friends Jazzmaster was picking up snippets of the guitarist in the adjacent practice room, any ideas why? It only did it with either bridge or neck pickup, both on cancelled it out. Really odd... reminded me of Nigel Tufnell with his wireless system.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 734
    Those pickups are big flat antennas. My JM is by far my noisiest guitar (assuming proper grounding etc). If yours is not a top of the line USA model it won’t be well (or at all?) shielded. You can do it yourself with foil backed with conductive adhesive or fender parts which can get expensive. I’m afraid it’s just the way it is! More than once I’ve had to wonder around a stage to find the one place and angle that the noise dropped out at and tried to stay there for the whole gig... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8775
    I used to get Punjabi radio with my old one. 

Tons of fun fun trying to jam along with Bally Sagoo and the Panjabi MC.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • longshinslongshins Frets: 246
    So it’s the same thing thing as when you pickup radio with certain fuzz and wah pedals?
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    JerkMoans said:
    I used to get Punjabi radio with my old one. 

Tons of fun fun trying to jam along with Bally Sagoo and the Panjabi MC.
    haha that's brilliant.

Didn't know this could happen, pretty crazy.

I have a vague memory of watching something where James Hetfield was singing through his pickups, is that possible?
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9499
    edited July 2019
    Could it be that it's more of an acoustic coupling rather than purely electromagnetic? The sound of the guitar next door causes the strings to resonate on your guitar. The acoustic I have in my living room rings out when have reasonably loud music playing on my hi-fi speakers. This will be accentuated on an offset because you have a much wider number of frequencies available to excite - not just EADGBE, but you have the unrelated/dissonant frequencies from behind the bridge.

A well-known recording technique is playing a guitar track back through a small amp face down on the soundboard of a piano, and miking up the resonating strings for ambience.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

A well-known recording technique is playing a guitar track back through a small amp face down on the soundboard of a piano, and miking up the resonating strings for ambience.
    Interesting!

I've read every book I can find about music recording and every interview I can find online (which would literally fill a book shelf if printed) but I don't remember reading that one.

So thanks for sharing that, very cool :)
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1583
    Presumably the next door guitar is using a wireless system. 
    thegummy said:

Interesting!

I've read every book I can find about music recording and every interview I can find online (which would literally fill a book shelf if printed) but I don't remember reading that one.

So thanks for sharing that, very cool :)
    As a side note: my next purchase is either going to be a Musicman bass or a soft synth called Ominsphere - for that they seem to have sampled all sorts of things like piano string resonances, bowing them etc. to record sounds to mix in to the synth sounds for texture. Possibly a further variation of the technique you mention.
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited July 2019
    I used to pick up the local church on a Sunday morning. They were extremely hardcore brainwashers when out of sight from prying eyes. It was quite shocking actually, promising everybody a grizzly end if they didn't repent and conform!
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Freebird said:
    I used to pick up the local church on a Sunday morning. They were extremely hardcore brainwashers when out of sight from prying eyes. It was quite shocking actually, promising everybody a grizzly end if they didn't repent and conform!
    Should have definitely hit record to sample for some death metal
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10103
    Yea when we’re at band practice often I can hear the other band come from my amp. 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26453
    This happens at one of the venues in Peterborough (The Met Lounge). Whichever guitarist is standing stage right will pick up the radio from the betting shop downstairs.
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8775
    thegummy said:
    Freebird said:
    Should have definitely hit record to sample for some death metal
    My daughter did her Grade 3 or 4 exam in the basement of a church in December a few years back, when the rig became microphonic And was audibly broadcasting the festival of nine lessons and carols from upstairs. Provided a demented counterpoint to ‘I Love Rock n Roll’ and ‘Anarchy in the UK’.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 470
    I guess that the guitarist next door is using a wireless system. The big drawback of single coil pickups has always been their susceptibility to electromagnetic fields. Screening can help reduce the problem but you can never completely eliminate it.
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 734
    I guess that the guitarist next door is using a wireless system. The big drawback of single coil pickups has always been their susceptibility to electromagnetic fields. Screening can help reduce the problem but you can never completely eliminate it.
    I don’t think it would be a wireless, that would be transmitting digitally right? In which case your guitar would need to decode it, which I don’t think is possible. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • longshinslongshins Frets: 246
    The only thing we could think of was it being a wireless system next door.
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1583
    I don’t think it would be a wireless, that would be transmitting digitally right? In which case your guitar would need to decode it, which I don’t think is possible. 
    Newer wireless guitar systems tend to be digital but there are still analogue ones available.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EskiEski Frets: 35
    Snap - I get the same bing through my Tele.  Can be quite interesting at times.  Can mute it out by kicking on the tuner and can’t hear it when we’re playing in any event.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    I had a Coloursound Wah that picked up Neil Armstrong's historic speech as he stepped onto the Moon.
    Sassafras said:
    I had a Coloursound Wah that picked up Neil Armstrong's historic speech as he stepped onto the Moon.
    Maybe they were filming the "moon landing" in the studio next to the one you were in
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom