NGD Fender Telecaster Thinline - setup issues

What's Hot
nonesuchnonesuch Frets: 304
Just got hold of a second hand Fender Classic Series '69 Telecaster Thinline, and I'm having a few issues with the setup.

Firstly the action was way too high, probably 7/64" or about 3mm, and the neck relief was also too much (0.021").

The truss rod adjustment is at the heel of the neck which is a bit of a pain. Anyway I took the neck off and when I went to tighten the screw it was completely loose. I've never experienced this before, so I was a bit concerned. I tried to tighten it some more and it did start to take, although it felt quite tight.

This seems to have worked, although I might need to back it off a little bit. Should I be concerned about the initial looseness? Or should it be okay now that it seems to be tightening up.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• gary_macgary_mac Frets: 66
    I've encountered a fair few where the truss rod nut has been loose and not adding any tension. I normally apply a little silicone grease and then adjust it as required.
  • Flame_GuitarsFlame_Guitars Frets: 79
    tFB Trader
    I don't think you have anything to be concerned about. Just tighten it until you feel the resistance. The location of the truss rod nut means that many owners are reluctant to adjust it. As someone who regularly adjusts this type of truss rod, they are a bit of a pain. Leo's design of the Tele and Strat was brilliant, but the heel adjusted truss rod was not his best idea. 
    Flame Guitars. Custom electric guitars, servicing & repairs by David Kennett
  • nonesuchnonesuch Frets: 304
    Okay thanks - I'll leave it to settle down for a bit now. I don't suppose the heat of the last few days (and now rain) is helping much.

Yeah you're right it's not the easiest way to adjust a truss rod, having to take the neck off each time. Fingers crossed it seems to be working now that it's tightened up properly.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6914
    tFB Trader
    You wouldn't believe how many new guitars I see with no tension on the truss rod.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Now with pictures!

Restrung and setup - this is looking pretty good now. As well as the usual neck relief and intonation issues, I had to sandpaper the slot for the pickup selector switch, because it wasn't clicking in to position properly. There's a couple of tuners that are feeling a bit scratchy, but I'll deal with those at a later date.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 470
    You’re right to check the neck after a few days, there can be a little bit of “creep” after truss rod adjustments as things settle down. It always worries me a bit when I find a truss rod fully backed off, it makes me wonder if the neck has had a back bow at some time.
  • sharpjimbosharpjimbo Frets: 36
    FYI - you can adjust the truss rod with the neck on and the pick guard off. To create your own neck adjusting tool, you just need to bend the tip of a cheap tea spoon.
    I think taking the neck off is maybe easier - because then at least you can leave the strings on.
  • sharpjimbosharpjimbo Frets: 36
    nonesuch said:
    I think taking the neck off is maybe easier - because then at least you can leave the strings on.
    Sorry... My bad, forgot it was a thinline. With a regular tele you can just slide the pickguard under the strings and keep it all in place because neither the controls or pickups are attached to the pickguard. Saves you repeatedly unscrewing the neck and adjusting.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I don't think you have anything to be concerned about. Just tighten it until you feel the resistance. The location of the truss rod nut means that many owners are reluctant to adjust it. As someone who regularly adjusts this type of truss rod, they are a bit of a pain. Leo's design of the Tele and Strat was brilliant, but the heel adjusted truss rod was not his best idea. 
    It drives me crazy when they put the truss rod adjustment at the neck heel.

When they can put it in a convenient place on many of their instruments, there seems no reason at all to make some with it at the neck heel.

The only reason I can see is vintage correctness which has to be among the most stupid reasons to do anything that there is.