Hearing band next door via Jazzmaster

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    thegummy said:
    Sassafras said:
    I had a Coloursound Wah that picked up Neil Armstrong's historic speech as he stepped onto the Moon.
    Maybe they were filming the "moon landing" in the studio next to the one you were in
    There's no maybe about it. It was same studio where they filmed The Clangers. They even re-used the same set.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8028
    edited July 2019

A well-known recording technique is playing a guitar track back through a small amp face down on the soundboard of a piano, and miking up the resonating strings for ambience.
    Equally (but simpler) technique - many years ago (late '80's), I had an Ibanez Artist 6/12 twin neck - if you played the 6-string with the pickups off, but the 12-string pickups on, you got the most amazing shimmering resonance - I used to bung that through a wee bit of overdrive, delay and reverb for some uber-ambient texture.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389

A well-known recording technique is playing a guitar track back through a small amp face down on the soundboard of a piano, and miking up the resonating strings for ambience.
    Equally (but simpler) technique - many years ago (late '80's), I had an Ibanez Artist 6/12 twin neck - if you played the 6-string with the pickups off, but the 12-string pickups on, you got the most amazing shimmering resonance - I used to bung that through a wee bit of overdrive, delay and reverb for some uber-ambient texture.
    Nice! Love hearing about these kind of tricks (hence my fore mentioned reading of those books etc.)

A book I'd recommend to anyone else interested in that kind of thing is "Behind the Glass".
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14404
    If yours is not a top of the line USA model it won’t be well (or at all?) shielded.
    Worse than this. The CIJ Jag and JMs have graphite paint smeared all around their routed cavities BUT it is not connected to anything. Duh!
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • DoodlegameDoodlegame Frets: 28
    thegummy said:
    JerkMoans said:
    I used to get Punjabi radio with my old one. 

Tons of fun fun trying to jam along with Bally Sagoo and the Panjabi MC.
    haha that's brilliant.

Didn't know this could happen, pretty crazy.

I have a vague memory of watching something where James Hetfield was singing through his pickups, is that possible?
    Yeah, it was on the making of one of the hardwired tracks, perhaps atlas though I'm not sure. He started laughing and it got tracked through his pickups
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3377

Careful, @Three-ColourSunburst ;will be along shortly to tell you that there is no energy transfer between the strings and the guitar
    thegummy said:
    JerkMoans said:
    I used to get Punjabi radio with my old one. 

Tons of fun fun trying to jam along with Bally Sagoo and the Panjabi MC.
    haha that's brilliant.

Didn't know this could happen, pretty crazy.

I have a vague memory of watching something where James Hetfield was singing through his pickups, is that possible?
    Yeah, it was on the making of one of the hardwired tracks, perhaps atlas though I'm not sure. He started laughing and it got tracked through his pickups
    I wonder how that was able to work and if it would only work on active pickups.
    NelsonP said:

Careful, @Three-ColourSunburst ;will be along shortly to tell you that there is no energy transfer between the strings and the guitar
    Did he really say that?

The last post of his I read I thought he was saying that the energy does transfer to the body but that the ideal to aim for would be to minimise that as much as possible.

Seems to be a bit of a witch hunt against him. I suppose I can see why since if some of the things he says is true it means most of us on the forum are wasting a lot of time and money on nothing lol
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3519
    This is why I have a strat with Zexcoils. 

Interestingly, I can't get the TC toneprint app to work with them. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Greatape said:
    This is why I have a strat with Zexcoils. 

Interestingly, I can't get the TC toneprint app to work with them. 
    Wow looks interesting, never seen anything like that before.
    edited July 2019
    thegummy said:
    NelsonP said:

Careful, @Three-ColourSunburst will be along shortly to tell you that there is no energy transfer between the strings and the guitar
    Did he really say that?

The last post of his I read I thought he was saying that the energy does transfer to the body but that the ideal to aim for would be to minimise that as much as possible.

Seems to be a bit of a witch hunt against him. I suppose I can see why since if some of the things he says is true it means most of us on the forum are wasting a lot of time and money on nothing lol
    Honestly I can't quite remember, but I think the jist of the argument was that energy transfer from the strings to the body (either via the neck or bridge) was negligible and therefore it doesn't matter too much what wood that the body is made from.

HarrySeven's example above does tend to suggest that there is sufficient energy transfer from the strings that are being played to those that aren't to make them resonate. And that has to be happening via the body in a twin neck.

...but the topic was done to death in the other thread with no real resolution so I probably should be strung up for even mentioning it!

NelsonP said:
    thegummy said:
    NelsonP said:

Careful, @Three-ColourSunburst will be along shortly to tell you that there is no energy transfer between the strings and the guitar
    Did he really say that?

Honestly I can't quite remember, but I think the jist of the argument was that energy transfer from the strings to the body (either via the neck or bridge) was negligible and therefore it doesn't matter too much what wood that the body is made from.

HarrySeven's example above does tend to suggest that there is sufficient energy transfer from the strings that are being played to those that aren't to make them resonate. And that has to be happening via the body in a twin neck.

...but the topic was done to death in the other thread with no real resolution so I probably should be strung up for even mentioning it!

When you play a guitar you can feel the body vibrating so it would be a bit strange to claim the string energy didn't go to the body.

I thought the question/debate was whether that affects what gets picked up by the pickups or not.

I wonder if anyone's ever put one of those PZM boundary mics on the body of a solid body electric guitar.
    thegummy said:

I thought the question/debate was whether that affects what gets picked up by the pickups or not.
    Yes, and whether that creates an audible difference or not.
  • ArjailerArjailer Frets: 103
    I guess that the guitarist next door is using a wireless system. The big drawback of single coil pickups has always been their susceptibility to electromagnetic fields. Screening can help reduce the problem but you can never completely eliminate it.
    I don’t think it would be a wireless, that would be transmitting digitally right? In which case your guitar would need to decode it, which I don’t think is possible. 
    Newer wireless guitar systems tend to be digital but there are still analogue ones available.
    Wouldn't analogue wireless signals still be modulated in some way?

Though I don't know enough to know if that would make them unrecognisable or just "warbly".
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1589
    Arjailer said:
    I guess that the guitarist next door is using a wireless system. The big drawback of single coil pickups has always been their susceptibility to electromagnetic fields. Screening can help reduce the problem but you can never completely eliminate it.
    I don’t think it would be a wireless, that would be transmitting digitally right? In which case your guitar would need to decode it, which I don’t think is possible. 
    Newer wireless guitar systems tend to be digital but there are still analogue ones available.
    Wouldn't analogue wireless signals still be modulated in some way?

Though I don't know enough to know if that would make them unrecognisable or just "warbly".
    Yes, an analogue wireless system will work by modulation and hence could potentially be picked up by another guitar. What we're saying is that digital wireless systems are more prevalent now.  The source guitar is digitised on the belt/strap pack before transmission and sent as a bitstream.  A neighbouring gutiar/amp/fuzz pedal etc. wouldn't be able to turn that back into anything that sounded like the original guitar - might just sound like noise, chirping, crud etc.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom