Fender Acoustasonic - Fender still plugging it

What's Hot
RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
edited July 2019 in Guitar
No amount of flashy playing and use of fancy woods makes it any more appealing. It still sounds like an Ovation from early 80s with the plasticky piezo sound:

Horrible and horribly expensive

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    I like them and I like the sound. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14030
    tFB Trader
    I tried one for about 20 mins back in late Feb at the Brum Guitar Show - As an electric guitar player I liked the way it felt and played - Certainly far more user friendly than many acoustic based guitars, with a slick'sissy' action

Tone wise I think it depends on what you play, own and expect - Apart from its practically I can't see an owner of a pre-war Martin D28 getting excited about it - Yet for a good cover band, or an electric player into song writing/recording then I can see it finding some fans - Instantly made me think Tom Petty Free falling, The Who, Sting/Fragile and even Stairway to Heaven/Hotel California to mention well known tracks

Could I enjoy owning one then easy to say yes - Would I buy one at around £1800 then I'm more no than yes - I don't dislike the concept, but as it would never be my main guitar then I don't see me ever owning one, unless a find a good used version someday 

As it happens, IMO it sounded better plugged into a regular guitar valve amp (on a clean amp setting), like a Fender, than it did through a PA or electro acoustic amp  - the former it sounded more natural - The latter more 'tinny'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    I rather like it as well.  I just think its massively overpriced.

• NikcNikc Frets: 627
    i know the answer to this unasked question - Yamaha APX ;)
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14030
    tFB Trader
    Nikc said:
    i know the answer to this unasked question - Yamaha APX ;)
    I can see where you are coming from and yes an obvious answer, supported by great sales figures - But I have never liked the way they feel/play - As an electric guitar player who likes a Tele/Strat neck with a 'sissy action the Fender nails it - In your left hand it just feels like a good Tele - But not what everyone wants but this part of the guitar I love - Not a fan of the price
  • I think they seem fine. I'd like to try one out.
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
  • xscaramangaxscaramanga Frets: 436
    Does anyone remember the 90s Peavey Ecoustic? Seems likely roughly the same thing to me. One sold on Reverb a couple of years ago for £300: https://reverb.com/uk/item/6511415-peavey-ecoustic-acoustic-electric-guitar-black-1992

The ones I remember had six-in-line Peavey electric headstocks though.

I'd have a Fender if they were that sort of money. 
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    I'm waiting for the Squier CV version of it.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Switch625Switch625 Frets: 576
    Def Leppard use a couple on their current Canadian tour when they do 2 Steps Behind. Of course they get them for free though...
  • xscaramangaxscaramanga Frets: 436
    edited July 2019
    switch625 said:
    Def Leppard use a couple on their current Canadian tour when they do 2 Steps Behind. Of course they get them for free though...
    Well, anything would be an improvement on the tone they got for that song at their 1993 Don Valley show...

My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
  • lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
    I have never played one but I'm afraid from what I've seen and watched/heard there's nothing I like about them
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    It would probably be a decent guitar to learn on and for certain situations. Busking? Why it's so expensive I don't know. If they do do a cheap version it would probably sell.

Maybe I'm missing the point.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    I'm sure Ibanez made a very similar guitar in the 90s and it was a damn sight cheaper. I seem to remember trying one out in GAK.