How do you price your guitar to sell it?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2341
    i try and price at what is the lowest i will take, ie leave no room to haggle. but if a buyer calls me at the right time, and wants to come collect and pay immediately i might take off a very small amount if asked. Any low ball offers are just politely declined, even though i feel like telling them to f off, but i always ty and be polite, you never know, they may and occasionally do start being sensible.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • riverciderrivercider Frets: 461
    I also try to be polite with lowball offers for the same reason, although when I was selling my goldtop a gumtree 'buyer' began with 'What's the lowest you'll take?' with no other niceties or hellos etc.
    Feeling lively that day, I asked him 'what's the most you'll pay?' at which he offered me £400 less than the asking price because he'd seen one go on ebay at the lower price '...and that was a flame top!...'

I simply said we weren't likely to be able to agree a deal but thanked him anyway.  So did he actually want a goldtop at all anyway?  Damned if I know.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I was once selling a car to this guy that kept lowballing me again and again.

I'm talking stupid money and thousands off on an eight grand car. 

Went on for weeks. 

In the end I agreed to sell it to him, gave him what I said was my work phone number, and told him to ask for Mr Cameron.

Gave him the number for the houses of Parliament. 

Never heard from him again. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 782
    edited July 2019
    I'd say use eBay 'sold listings' as a price guide. It is very relevant as that is what people are willing to (currently) pay, not what people are asking.

I use 'sold listing' as a reference, as I don't want to pay over the odds if I can help it when buying. I avoid sellers who are miles out from what seems acceptable as I have them down as chancers: )

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I was once selling a car to this guy that kept lowballing me again and again.

I'm talking stupid money and thousands off on an eight grand car. 

Went on for weeks. 

In the end I agreed to sell it to him, gave him what I said was my work phone number, and told him to ask for Mr Cameron.

Gave him the number for the houses of Parliament. 

Never heard from him again. 
    haha brilliant

It's such a shame we don't get to hear the call he made
  • If it's a 52  Fender RI nitro finished Tele with jumbo frets it's worth £150, and I will take it off your hands for you.. as a favour. ;)
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    I don't get why anyone would communicate with someone who's given them an insulting low ball offer. Why waste your time?
    Responding to them makes them think they're in with a chance. Don't encourage them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2341
    ive just had an offer of £175 on a mex strat i advertised at £350.  im tempted to reply to the guy along the lines of i think your offer is a bit low, however if you write me an essay of no less than 600 words on why you think i should sell it to you for this i will duly consider your offer.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Sassafras said:
    I don't get why anyone would communicate with someone who's given them an insulting low ball offer. Why waste your time?
    Responding to them makes them think they're in with a chance. Don't encourage them.
    From the other thread about this kind of thing, I got the impression they hope the person eventually goes up to the correct price and was just trying their luck.

I'm with you though, I'd ignore them from the get-go. I'd expect them to be contacting me post-sale looking for some kind of partial refund through some bullshit reason. I'd just see the low offer as a warning sign and avoid that type of person all together.
  • riverciderrivercider Frets: 461
    I'm not a power-user of gumtree but I have a feeling there's a system there now whereby someone can leave negative feedback about you whether they've bought from you or not, thereby putting other more realistic buyers off you, potentially.  Might be wrong though but think I saw that 'feature', so if you ignore lowball offers I guess they could talk trash about you and scupper your chances of an actual sale.

• Gumtree feedback is actually wierd or wrong imo. 

You can leave feedback but only if you have a conversion with them. 

So if someone low balls you and you reply, even nicely but maybe don't give them the deal they want, they can leave negative feedback.

No transaction needed, whatsoever. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5024
    Gumtree feedback is actually wierd or wrong imo. 

You can leave feedback but only if you have a conversion with them. 

So if someone low balls you and you reply, even nicely but maybe don't give them the deal they want, they can leave negative feedback.

No transaction needed, whatsoever. 
    Yes, a ridiculous idea. I've stopped using Gumtree altogether, as (in my experience) it seems to be mainly timewasters, scammers and lowballers. At one point, a couple of years ago, I used to use it quite frequently, but not now. 
    Call me Dave.
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7076
    I'm not a power-user of gumtree but I have a feeling there's a system there now whereby someone can leave negative feedback about you whether they've bought from you or not, thereby putting other more realistic buyers off you, potentially.  Might be wrong though but think I saw that 'feature', so if you ignore lowball offers I guess they could talk trash about you and scupper your chances of an actual sale.

I think the easy way around that is to include a picture of your own fizog in with the pictures of the item for sale. For in this way, potential customers may thereby decide for themselves whether you have an honest face or not. 

Sounds far fetched? Maybe, but I'm fairly confident I can tell within seconds of clapping eyes on someone if they're a crook or not. It'd be especially easy with some of the 'head the balls' that are lurking on Gumtree and the like. No offence.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14035
    tFB Trader
    Such used sites will obviously attract 'the bedroom' dealer trying it on - They may only have so much to spend - Yet there are 1000's of guitars for sale - So why not hit 10/20/30 ads with a silly low offer - 29 will take offence - You only need 1 to accept your offer and happy days for the buyer, who will now re-list the guitar accordingly within his stock profile - By the way I'm not this buyer or attempt to be one either

I recall back in the days when your local Loot or Ad Mag was the thing - There was a guy in our town would take the train into London on a Thursday - Look at the classifieds for nice German cars - Ring up loads of sellers, tick them off one by one, and place a silly offer - Sooner or later he'd  find one he could buy cash from more of a desperate seller - Bring it back home and sell it for more money
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8775
    I put them up at the daft Price I paid. Usually through the classifieds here.

Then I start reducing incrementally :D 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummy said:
    Sassafras said:
    From the other thread about this kind of thing, I got the impression they hope the person eventually goes up to the correct price and was just trying their luck.

I'm with you though, I'd ignore them from the get-go. I'd expect them to be contacting me post-sale looking for some kind of partial refund through some bullshit reason. I'd just see the low offer as a warning sign and avoid that type of person all together.
    I ignore silly lowball offers and also (this is especially a thing on facebook) offers where people seem to be unable to string a coherent sentence together.

It's a funny thing though: I'll find myself making counter-offers to people on eBay sometimes and think "I'm haggling over £20, is it really worth it?"... I guess you have to draw a line somewhere though
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)