Found this weightlifting website- gives an indication of performance

What's Hot

Comments

• the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1778
    I do some lifting as part of Crossfit. Been doing it pretty much two years. Good fun and it’s definitely helped me get fitter and stronger. 

Starting, from nowhere really, in my early 40s though is tough and progress is slow. 

@ThorpyFX What were your numbers for your 1000lb lifts? That’s pretty impressive. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3316
    ThorpyFX said:
    What type of lifting are you doing, I loved doing weights, particularly leg workouts, squats etc, but my lower back is stuffed now so am limited to what I can do.
    Hardest part is building it up slowly so you don't injure yourself

I'm in the process of building up again... but im already back to lifting very heavy , which has pleased me no end. I've entered the 1000lb club with my combined deadlift, squat and bench press. However........ i have paid for a personal trainer to beast me so we mix the heavy lifts in with supersets, high reps, high intensity to burn fat as well...... so far so good, it seems to be both good for the body and is knackering.
    Time for a new photo in your Guitarist column then!!  =)
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6090
    tFB Trader
    the_jaffa said:
    I do some lifting as part of Crossfit. Been doing it pretty much two years. Good fun and it’s definitely helped me get fitter and stronger. 

Starting, from nowhere really, in my early 40s though is tough and progress is slow. 

@ThorpyFX What were your numbers for your 1000lb lifts? That’s pretty impressive. 
    Current PBS are:

160kg Bench press
    200Kg Deadlift
    170Kg Squat.

as an aside my seated leg press is 450Kg which I'm over the moon with tbh, considering where i was back 12 months ago

I want to hit the following within 12months:

170kg Bench press
    250Kg Deadlift
    220Kg Squat.

550kg leg press.

Blaendulais said:
    ThorpyFX said:
    What type of lifting are you doing, I loved doing weights, particularly leg workouts, squats etc, but my lower back is stuffed now so am limited to what I can do.

I'm in the process of building up again... but im already back to lifting very heavy , which has pleased me no end. I've entered the 1000lb club with my combined deadlift, squat and bench press. However........ i have paid for a personal trainer to beast me so we mix the heavy lifts in with supersets, high reps, high intensity to burn fat as well...... so far so good, it seems to be both good for the body and is knackering.
    by the end of the year i think..... got to lose some more timber first.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ThorpyFX said:
    the_jaffa said:

Current PBS are:

160kg Bench press
    200Kg Deadlift
    170Kg Squat.

as an aside my seated leg press is 450Kg which I'm over the moon with tbh, considering where i was back 12 months ago

I want to hit the following within 12months:

170kg Bench press
    250Kg Deadlift
    220Kg Squat.

550kg leg press.

Blaendulais said:
    ThorpyFX said:

by the end of the year i think..... got to lose some more timber first.
    Only kidding. Best wishes on the continuing fitness journey
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7076
    sgosden said:
    Looks like I'm better than everyone else my age and weight class. Especially at putting in imaginary figures. 
    Yeah? Well to work out what I can bench press, simply add 1 pound to whatever you can bench press.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlterlifesonAlterlifeson Frets: 475
    ThorpyFX said:
    the_jaffa said:

Current PBS are:

160kg Bench press
    200Kg Deadlift
    170Kg Squat.

That's a really impressive bench to squat/dead ratio! I'm running PPL at the gym at the moment, enjoying the higher frequency. Would love to start repping 2 plates in a few months, I can push out 3 at a struggle. 180 DL/140 squat feels fine however, so I seem to be the opposite of you!
  • mattdavismattdavis Frets: 840
    Interesting stuff. I’m trying to get back into the gym - more for stress relief and general health rather than bulking hugely. Still have ridiculous ambitions of getting back into some sort of old man’s rugby aged 42... 
    I do more cardio stuff so am clueless re weights and keep reading conflicting stuff. If you are looking to add some muscle mass without going crazy is it generally better to do fewer reps of heavy weights (eg to the point where you just can’t do another after 5 or so) or be able to do 10-15 where the last couple are a struggle?
    any tips? Cheers!
    tFB Trader
    mattdavis said:
    Interesting stuff. I’m trying to get back into the gym - more for stress relief and general health rather than bulking hugely. Still have ridiculous ambitions of getting back into some sort of old man’s rugby aged 42... 
    I do more cardio stuff so am clueless re weights and keep reading conflicting stuff. If you are looking to add some muscle mass without going crazy is it generally better to do fewer reps of heavy weights (eg to the point where you just can’t do another after 5 or so) or be able to do 10-15 where the last couple are a struggle?
    any tips? Cheers!
    Well.... I’ve trained most of my adult life due to sport, Army and for fun. Due to a catalogue of injuries I lost my edge and flubbed out.... coming back to it is harder than i imagined though. anyway my point is that initially you want to do high reps light weight to get your movements and Technique sorted. Once you are a) moving properly and b) over the horrendous Dom’s from the first few gym visits it’s time to change it up. 

The perceived wisdom is low reps and high weight will cause maximum strength gains.... but this doesn’t work for everyone. For me maximal gains come from pyramid training. I.e. start heavy and go to failure, drop a weight and go to failure.... rinse and repeat till the bars empty. For this training you need a partner, smiths machine or use a machine......

do this on unrelated muscle groups in one session.  Eg legs and back, chest and abs, arms and shoulders.. do more than one type of exercise per muscle group. And make sure the exercises do different parts of the body part being trained. 

Anyway, I’m not an expert but this lot worked for me......
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    Cheers - helpful insight to the pyramid thing. I’ve only been doing about 3 sets of 10 reps, usually the last few are barely moving. But haven’t had much in the way of pain following - which has made me think I haven’t been doing enough. 
    tFB Trader
    mattdavis said:
    Cheers - helpful insight to the pyramid thing. I’ve only been doing about 3 sets of 10 reps, usually the last few are barely moving. But haven’t had much in the way of pain following - which has made me think I haven’t been doing enough. 
    There’s a theory that muscle strength only increases  through micro tearing and repair. So if you don’t go to failure or do a few extra reps, you don’t cause those tears and therefore don’t make any extra gains. 
    edited August 2019
    That’s what I understood - and I do end up being unable to push the weight - but I’m not getting much pain. Maybe the muscles are currently too small to tear :-)
    PS am just using machines - I understand free weights are a bit better (utilise more natural ranges of movement and engage the smaller stabilising muscles too - maybe that makes a difference to pain..)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 531
    mattdavis said:
    That’s what I understood - and I do end up being unable to push the weight - but I’m not getting much pain. Maybe the muscles are currently too small to tear :-)
    PS am just using machines - I understand free weights are a bit better (utilise more natural ranges of movement and engage the smaller stabilising muscles too - maybe that makes a difference to pain..)
    Pain is not necessarily a sign that you are making gains.Its just as likely your doing some damage, so don't get hung up on that.If you train regularly then the gains will come.

Im no expert but do go to the gym 4-5 times a week. Heres my regime that keeps me in shape and injury free !

Day1 : Chest and triceps
    Day2: Cardio
    Day3: Back and Biceps
    Day4: Cardio
    Day5: Shoulders and core

3 Sets of 10/12 reps , medium to heavy weights (depending on mood)

Most important thing is to keep at it. Should see some results in about 4-6 weeks.MOst people tend to give up after about 2  weeks because they have transformed in Arnie.

bobblehat said:
    mattdavis said:
    Pain is not necessarily a sign that you are making gains.Its just as likely your doing some damage, so don't get hung up on that.If you train regularly then the gains will come.

Im no expert but do go to the gym 4-5 times a week. Heres my regime that keeps me in shape and injury free !

Most important thing is to keep at it. Should see some results in about 4-6 weeks.MOst people tend to give up after about 2  weeks because they have transformed in Arnie.

Cheers - tend to always do a bit of a 20-30 min run pre weights anyway and only managing to get there about 3-4x/ week. Dropping some work sessions soon to try and focus on my own health and life so that may improve! Thanks for the pointers 
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 735
    bobblehat said:
    mattdavis said:

No leg day?
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22096
    ThorpyFX said:

Anyone else into lifting/fitness etc?

I've started lifting a four pack of Skol every night and placing it in my shopping basket. 

• bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 531
    fnpt said:
    bobblehat said:
    mattdavis said:

No leg day?
    Nope no leg day.  I do a fair bit of cycling/running and do squats/lunges etc as part of my core exercises so legs are in good shape. 
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    fnpt said:
    bobblehat said:
    mattdavis said:

No leg day?
    I don't know anything about the subject. I exercise as little as possible to keep the moobs away and so I don't look too much like I'm dying after running to catch a train  :3

Body builder types though...PLEASE try to do a well rounded workout. There used to be a couple of guys I'd see going to the gym that obviously didn't worry about legs or anything just huge upper arms/shoulders. Then into their skinny jeans and muscle shirts. Just looked weird! (not that I'm Brad Pitt or anything!).
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4290
    That website is very interesting. Thanks for the link. 

I’ve been training for about 9 years now. Initially with a set of dumbells at home for about 7 years, then I joined the local gym about bout two years ago.

I do five sessions a week. 

Top half heavy on a Tuesday 
    Bottom half heavy on a Wednesday. 
    Core Thursday. 
    Top half hypertrophy on a Saturday. 
    Bottom half hypertrophy on a Sunday. 

Both the top half sessions use the same exercises but I vary the weights and number of sets and reps. Same with bottom half sessions. 

Heavy days are 5-7 reps. 3-5 sets. 
    Hypertrophy days are 10-20 reps and 5-7 sets. 

Top half days:

Strict overhand pullups
    Flat bench press with dumbells
    Lat pull down 
    Flys with dumbells
    Arm curls on cable machine with bar, superset with pressups
    Shoulder press with dumbells 

Bottom half days:

Deadlifts
    Leg press
    Single leg calf raises 
    Goblet squats with close stance, heels on a plate
    Famers walk 
    Lunges

Core day:

Plank rotisserie
    Toes to bar
    Reverse crunches
    Flutter kicks

I do the exercises continuous and take a 2 mins rest between sets heavy days. 1 min rest in hypertrophy days.  

Warm up is normally 10 mins on the cross trainer. 

Warm down is 3-5 x 500m rows. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

I must say I laugh everytime I see someone at the gym timing their rest between sets! FFS where is the science between that.  Get moving get rid of the lactate and go again.  Keep the heart going!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I must say I laugh everytime I see someone at the gym timing their rest between sets! FFS where is the science between that.  Get moving get rid of the lactate and go again.  Keep the heart going!
    Depends on your goals. For fitness/work capacity/endurance? Shorter is probably better.

For maximal performance i.e. powerlifting/weightlifting? Then you want long rest times to recover. It's not simply about the lactic acid but also the neurological stress.

However to address your point - timing your rest ensures consistency and one less variable to consider when trying to improve. Which is fairly scientific in its method I would say!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom