How do you get radio play these days?

What's Hot
We have had some Internet and smaller stations, but I can't seem to get people to respond from the big stations.
Mostly just been using twitter so probably a bad option, for those that have been successful for music6 etc, did you send them the CD?
I miss John peel. 

Here is the song, mixed by soundonsound Sam, who contacted me on this forum and did a feature on the magazine, thanks Sam. 

We've now had some praise from Big bands from years past, jesus Jones, also ex Happy Mondays and Ryan Adams. 

Listen to Cherry Cola - Sam's Mix by Vietnam Flashbacks on #SoundCloud

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2464
    You need to pay a plugger and keep paying them until something happens! Make sure it’s a good one too, lots of blaggers out there! Good luck!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7076
    Well I enjoyed it, albeit I have limited industry connections.

cherry cola cherry cola!! it's good!!
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • Blimey how much is a plugger

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    Blimey how much is a plugger
    Several kilograms! ;)
    Be seeing you.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26461
    Getting your music in front of radio bods and reviewers is basically the function of a PR company, is it not?

From what I've been able to glean, a proper 3-month PR campaign is about £1k-1.2k.
    <space for hire>
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    edited July 2019 tFB Trader
    Getting your music in front of radio bods and reviewers is basically the function of a PR company, is it not?

From what I've been able to glean, a proper 3-month PR campaign is about £1k-1.2k.
    Some PR companies will offer a ‘catch all’ service but if you want to do it ‘properly’ then a separate PR campaign and Radio plugger is the way to go. If they are good they will liaise together to get you the best, timed coverage but very much operate separately.

As an example, my previous band hired a PR company and radio pluggers (one to handle national radio, one to handle local) for a 3 month campaign, from memory were around £1500 each. You also have to factor in promo copies of the album (some stations/reviews won’t consider it unless it’s a ‘proper’ release) plus any other promotional materials that will help.

We has some results, we had a couple of spins on Radio 2 and a live session with Janice Long, a few live sessions and interviews on local BBC stations and some album reviews in mid level roots/Country magazines/blogs/websites.

And no change out of 5 Grand....

If I were to do it again (and we will be next year with my new band) then I’d set some aside for good PR and spend the majority of the rest of it on a couple of shit hot videos and use Facebook advertising to get them directly to the people I thought would like the music and go from there.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Wow spendy isn't it. Will need to save for that 

• Take a look at Vietnam Flashbacks (@VFlashbacks): https://twitter.com/VFlashbacks?s=09

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26461

If I were to do it again (and we will be next year with my new band) then I’d set some aside for good PR and spend the majority of the rest of it on a couple of shit hot videos and use Facebook advertising to get them directly to the people I thought would like the music and go from there.
    That's exactly how we're doing it. Album's done, video's done, and we've been waiting for the CDs to arrive before approaching PR companies (Hold Tight! PR are top of the list at the moment, if they'll have us).
    <space for hire>
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    I can’t imagine tweeting a big radio station will work. Be a bit cuter - just one example - Radio X is probably a mainstream target for this - the Chris Moyles show has a slot where people write (yes the old fashioned way) into Dominic Byrne, his sidekick / newsreader - often people do cleaver things and send quirky gifts that are tantamount to bribes to plug their small business or something they are doing - they might not play list it but they might stick it on out for a bit out of curiosity -  I’ve seen them pick someone up from this and increase their instagram followers 10 fold in 10 minutes if they run with it and have some fun.