New York in September with a mate

What's Hot
ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
Going there in September with the main objective being to see Roger Federer play at the US Open at one of the evening sessions. Also want to see a baseball or basketball game. 

So, two blokes away for 5 days. Looking for recommendations on good live music bars (blues/rock) and busy nightlife areas that have a good vibe and mix of people.

Cheers

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13932
    The Top Of The Standard bar in the meatpacking district is a hip and trendy bar frequented by celebs.

Not my kind of thing, personally, I preferred to walk The High Line that runs below the hotel.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Blue Note. You’ll find some top top jazz/blues acts play there that don't bother coming to the UK. Chick Corea for one. Quality of music is superb. You can book a table seat via their website - well worth doing.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26870
    There are gigs all over NYC every night of the week, so I'd check listings for whenever you'll be there. 

Baseball is good. A fairly simple and oft-derided game but a brilliant afternoon out.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12344
    edited July 2019
    There are gigs all over NYC every night of the week, so I'd check listings for whenever you'll be there. 

Baseball is good. A fairly simple and oft-derided game but a brilliant afternoon out.
    Whereas..... when I first went out to the US to see my future brother in law he asked if there was anything I fancied doing while I was there. My dad had not long died and I’d found a baseball program from Wrigley Field in his stuff, so I thought it’d be cool to see a game too. My BiL said “errrrrr, right, ok” (which should’ve been the giveaway really) and sorted out tickets for the Tampa Rays v Boston Red Sox. Seriously the most boring few hours I’ve ever spent. The highlight was the food. 
  • rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    Where in NYC would you guys be staying?
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1173
    Jim Campilongo has a monday night residency at Rockwood two: https://www.jimcampilongo.com/tour.html

I'd definitely pop by to see/hear that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16290
    brooom said:
    Jim Campilongo has a monday night residency at Rockwood two: https://www.jimcampilongo.com/tour.html

I'd definitely pop by to see/hear that.
    I have no sense of the geography of New York at all but I'd try to get myself to that. The Iridium and The Knitting Factory are the other venues that come to mind, although I think the Knitting Factory isn't the cool alternative venue it once was. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Did I mention Blue Note?
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    Basketball tends to start at the end of September or early November. Brooklyn are the better of the two NYC teams so you'd be better off trying to get tickets to see them unless the Knickd are playing a top team.