Wiping a laptop to sell?

What's Hot
I've had a look and there's a program called DBAN that'll suck the life out of my lap top but i don't have the install disk to put Windows back on as I had it built by Cyberpower and they sent to me ready to go.

If I list it without an OS will it devalue it much? I'm assuming whoever buys it will probably just strip it for bits anyway as i was going to sell it as "for parts not working" due to the battery being shot and my daughter having picked 2 of the keys off!!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11675
    If it's Windows 10, just download the "media creation tool" and create a USB stick to re-install windows.

Doesn't even take very long, and it is way better than it used to be at getting drivers etc.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11414
    If it's Windows 10, just download the "media creation tool" and create a USB stick to re-install windows.

Doesn't even take very long, and it is way better than it used to be at getting drivers etc.
    I've just had to reinstall Windows due to an SSD failure.  Absolute doddle these days.

Make sure you have your Microsoft account details or the product key for Windows to avoid any issues with activation.  If you log into your Microsoft account, it should activate automatically.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22097
    Shouldn't have any problems activating Windows after installation with the product key. Done three PCs in a month this way and all were fine. 

PS: If you're using the laptop for music stuff, ignore Windows 10 build 1903. Very bad DPC latency spikes with this one. 

• BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
    Shouldn't have any problems activating Windows after installation with the product key. Done three PCs in a month this way and all were fine. 

PS: If you're using the laptop for music stuff, ignore Windows 10 build 1903. Very bad DPC latency spikes with this one. 
    Thanks. I'm just going to wipe it, flog it and go fully Apple!
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5327
    For most purposes a factory reset will be sufficient.

If you don't have original install media then on most mainstream laptops there will be a recovery set creation tool built-in.  Generate that, then do a factory reset.

If you're totally paranoid, make the media, then use DBAN (it'll take "some time") and then reinstall from the media you created.
  • guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1012
    I have known DBAN to take a day or two to wipe a machine depending on the settings you select. 

“Ken sent me.”
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom