Cats in flats

What's Hot

Comments

• Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    The last cat we had spent her entire time inside our flat and that wasn't our choice, it was hers.  She was petrified of the outside and was quite happy inside.  Of course it varies from cat to cat.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3316
    Perfectly fine to have an indoor cat.  If its a kitten they wont have known anything different.  The only downside is the litter tray needed so they can shit in the house.  Outside cats kindly do it in your neighbours.
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    “But I like to be here
    I like it a lot 
    said the cat in the flat
    to the fish in the pot .....”
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    edited August 2019
    One thing, cat shit stinks like nothing on earth, if you keep a cat indoors, you will face a daily nausea inducing smell every single day and have to scoop it out and dispose of said sometimes sloppy mess. You will also need to buy bags and bags of cat litter which is heavy to buy, carry and dispose of. 

An outdoor cat will go out the cat flap and do it's business well away from your and it's home.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6887
    edited August 2019
    My sis has recently got a Maine Coon they are supposed to be a bit stupid so it’s recommended they are indoor cats. It’s doing fine but they have occasionally let it go in the garden.

Personally I wouldn’t keep an indoor cat but if the rescues are offering up indoor cats only you’d be doing a great thing by rehoming one.

Our cat was a rescue she’s 16 now. I won’t miss her when she’s gone. I’ll shed a tear of course at the time.

Having grown up with cats I thought I was a cat person. It turns out I’m not really and I I don’t enjoy being owned by one and formerly two that wreck the house.

On the the other hand I miss our dog so much, we lost him at 14 a couple of years ago. He was the best - dogs > cats.

And cat shit stinks...
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18389
    One thing, cat shit stinks like nothing on earth, if you keep a cat indoors, you will face a daily nausea inducing smell every single day and have to scoop it out and dispose of said sometimes sloppy mess. You will also need to buy bags and bags of cat litter which is heavy to buy, carry and dispose of. 

An outdoor cat will go out the cat flap and do it's business well away from your and it's home.
    Nope, wood based litter is sustainable, good for odour control issues, doesn't get 'sloppy' & doesn't tread all over the place.
    If you don't actually pick the shit out of the tray with your teeth, the smell is minimal.
    Yes, it is heavy-ish, but it's no big deal unless you live on the 42nd floor & the lifts are screwed.
    Several 'outdoor' cats where I live (country village) have been killed & maimed while outside 'being free'. Sad but true.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Iamnobody said:
    My sis has recently got a Maine Coon they are supposed to be a bit stupid so it’s recommended they are indoor cats. It’s doing fine but they have occasionally let it go in the garden.

Personally I wouldn’t keep an indoor cat but if the rescues are offering up indoor cats only you’d be doing a great thing by rehoming one.

Our cat was a rescue she’s 16 now. I won’t miss her when she’s gone. I’ll shed a tear of course at the time.

Having grown up with cats I thought I was a cat person. It turns out I’m not really and I I don’t enjoy being owned by one and formerly two that wreck the house.

On the the other hand I miss our dog so much, we lost him at 14 a couple of years ago. He was the best - dogs > cats.

And cat shit stinks...
    All my dogs shite smelled of roses.... not  :o
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6887
    Iamnobody said:

And cat shit stinks...
    All my dogs shite smelled of roses.... not  :o
    But did your dog shit in the house daily?

And picking up a Dog shit on the winter makes for a great natural hand warmer  :#
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    'And picking up a Dog shit on the winter makes for a great natural hand warmer  '

Always the optimist  ;) :)
  • schrodinger1612schrodinger1612 Frets: 390
    edited August 2019
    They’re typically outdoor creatures though I don’t see the problem in keeping them indoors, so long as they’re aloud to potter around outside every once in a while. 

Feedback Thread: https://goo.gl/bquaSD
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8775
    Is this a god time to remind my Forum chums that all odours are particulate?
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • danodano Frets: 1568
    edited August 2019
    I misread cat flats as pussy flaps

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873

This is absolutely the worst thing about having cats. I know we still have to pick up our dog shit but at least it's outside and can be left for a day or two if we don't have time. To me cats have no redeeming features other than they can sort of look after themselves if they can go outdoors. Ours brought a live mouse back to the living room the other day. That was fun. 
  • Can anyone recommend other suitable indoor pets that live for more than a couple of years? Especially if available at rescue?

• MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3627
    I, very optimistically, bought a tortoise for my wife as a 50th birthday present.  We need to leave provision in our will.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    TTBZ said:

This is absolutely the worst thing about having cats. I know we still have to pick up our dog shit but at least it's outside and can be left for a day or two if we don't have time. To me cats have no redeeming features other than they can sort of look after themselves if they can go outdoors. Ours brought a live mouse back to the living room the other day. That was fun. 
    Just the 1? We have had mice, sparrows, blue tits, shrews, grass snakes a stoat and a baby moorhen, not all in the house as we intercepted them as they headed across the garden, most of the prey were being brought to us alive and survived, the stoat and moorhen played dead and went limp and once dropped sprang up and off they went.

Since we've had a microchip locking cat flap rather than just a manual one they bring a lot less in. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2621
    Cats in heels, though. That would be scary. 

A friend of mine has taken her cat for walks on a leash since it was very young (otherwise staying indoors), and it's perfectly happy with the arrangement, though she's probably an outlier. 
    edited August 2019
    They’re typically outdoor creatures though I don’t see the problem in keeping them indoors, so long as they’re aloud to potter around outside every once in a while. 

Given your forum name, how would you know if the cat was in or outdoors, or both?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2158
    Our Maine coon cross started out as an indoor. We lost two cats in less than a year, my partners cat made it to 10 before being knocked over and his replacement lasted eight months. 
    When we moved into our first home; with a relatively young cat and with both of us upset from losing two so quickly , we thought we'd keep her in. That lasted half a year or so....she escaped and was gone for hours. I found her three hours later in the back garden with three other kitty mates. And thought she really needs to go out as and play. My partner works from home a lot and touch wood we now live in a much quieter area. She itches to go out first thing in the morning and then comes and goes as she pleases.

We do try and get her in around 6pm. She's quite food oriented so a few bangs of the bowl and she comes back. I don't think she goes far. Luckily she is not a great hunter so we've never had a half dead bird gifted to us. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    Cats in heels, though. That would be scary. 

A friend of mine has taken her cat for walks on a leash since it was very young (otherwise staying indoors), and it's perfectly happy with the arrangement, though she's probably an outlier. 
    We waited far too long to try to get our ragdolls used to a harness. Needless to say they tried to flatten themselves on the floor because of the unfamiliar thing on their back. We did let them out into the garden from time to time. Cue hilariously trying to get one of them down from the high wall at the end of our garden (we lived in a street where the old Reading town wall was the rear boundary, FYI, interesting piece of trivia (not)).
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.