Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

NGD - Finished! custom Avalon L7-390 FC Ziricote/Sinker Redwood 12 fret jumbo Florentine + soundport

What's Hot

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11790
    GTC said:
    GTC said:
    That's the nicest piece of ziricote I've seen!
    They had one even nicer looking, also nice sounding, but slightly too small for a Jumbo
    the photo above is the sinker though
    Well - that's me failed on the boy scout tonewood identification badge then! Let's try again - that's the nicest piece of sinker redwood I've seen.
    I ordered this one after being incredibly impressed with a 2018 L2-20 jumbo lefty I bought from them back in April. With this one coming I'm reluctantly selling the L2-20 lefty to maintain domestic harmony
    I'd put teh L2-20 on buy it now at a much higher price for a few months. Especially as a lefty.
    If the object was money then you are right - but we are talking about domestic harmony here ;)  
    yes, I had to jettison a few guitars and a very nice Victoria amp to get this custom build through the disapproval stage. I think the physical theatre of boxing all those things up in our hallway helped me there
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 730
    tFB Trader
    @ToneControl VERY nice .. I'm based about 5 mins from Avalon. If you're ever over again give me a shout 
    www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
    Anchorboy said:
    @ToneControl VERY nice .. I'm based about 5 mins from Avalon. If you're ever over again give me a shout 
    thanks

I used to come over lots in the late 80s and 90s, very impressed with the improvements since then
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1534

Oh good lord, that ziricote is pretty! For an acoustic guitar, I don't think there is a single species I prefer aesthetically to ziricote (possibly cocobolo), and that is stunning.

Look forward to updated photo's.

Adam

• How does zircote sound, again?? Looks amazing !!!
    How does zircote sound, again?? Looks amazing !!!
    I was a doubter on ziricote. The ziricote/rewood small body Avalon I bought is like a much larger £5k guitar, louder, with an aural exciter added. Even my kids can tell the difference (against more expensive guitars)
  • And it looks so good, too. Total win!!

Have you tried the "amazaque" wood they use? 
    And it looks so good, too. Total win!!

Have you tried the "amazaque" wood they use? 
    not yet
  • GTCGTC Frets: 261
    Amazaque is referred to as Ovangkol by many makers - somewhere inbetween mahogany and rosewood tonally
  • That might actually really suit me.... 
    Sapele is a bit brighter than mahogany and is on my Larrivee. I think I prefer it. Just that bit closer to rosewood. 
    Anyway sorry for thread hi-jack!
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3491
    Ziricote IMO is one of the best sounding back/side sets I've come across.  A bit like a premium rosewood for the deep rich basses, but not like a rosewood for being scooped in the midrange - I'd say Ziricote is quite evenly balanced across basses, middles and trebles.  Looks superb as well.

Ovangkol is quite common for guitars now, quite a lot of Taylor 400 series guitars are made with it. 
  • I'll have a 12-fret Ziricote with cutaway, please :lol:
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Ziricote IMO is one of the best sounding back/side sets I've come across.  A bit like a premium rosewood for the deep rich basses, but not like a rosewood for being scooped in the midrange - I'd say Ziricote is quite evenly balanced across basses, middles and trebles.  Looks superb as well.

Ovangkol is quite common for guitars now, quite a lot of Taylor 400 series guitars are made with it. 
    I'm stunned by my small Ziricote/redwood Avalon, lovely balanced sounds, lots of mids, and a high end zing that is completely new to me, and easily the loudest steel strung I own, even louder than my Brazilian/Adirondack Dread
  • I like the sound of that in a smaller A-body style guitar with cutaway. How does that wood lend itself to fingerstyle?
    I like the sound of that in a smaller A-body style guitar with cutaway. How does that wood lend itself to fingerstyle?
    I play almost nothing but fingerstyle, really & am liking the Ziricote/redwood hugely for that, but remember my ears are not your ears, and I play with a bit of nail, might not be enough treble for someone not using nails - personal preference! Come and try it!
  • I am temped... I do have some holidays left...!
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1534

I would also add (and, really, this is not to ignite a 'tonewood' debate) that the choice of B&S wood has much less impact than you might imagine for playing style. It is much more to do with how the builder has finessed the construction of the guitar. This comes from several years of viewing the MIMF forum.

Again, you are more than welcome to try my yew Brook, or macassar Bailey-build.

Cheers,

Adam

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
    Kalimna said:

I would also add (and, really, this is not to ignite a 'tonewood' debate) that the choice of B&S wood has much less impact than you might imagine for playing style. It is much more to do with how the builder has finessed the construction of the guitar. This comes from several years of viewing the MIMF forum.

Again, you are more than welcome to try my yew Brook, or macassar Bailey-build.

Cheers,

Adam

http://www.psych.lancs.ac.uk/hearing/the-guitar-experiment/
    Red ones are better.