Decorating quotes - what's reasonable for a three bed house?

What's Hot
FreddieVanHalenFreddieVanHalen Frets: 954
edited August 2019 in Off Topic
OK, so I'm selling my flat and all the agents that I've had come to look at my place say that it's worth doing a simple refresh on the decorating. Nothing fancy, just satin woodwork and white emulsion walls.

There's the odd crack or patch that needs a little filling, other than that everything is in good condition.

My place is a three bed, two bathroom on two levels, so a staircase/bannister and about seven interior doors. No need to do windows and window sills as they're in good condition.

OK, I'm in London, but is four and a half grand a rational number for this work?!

EDIT: to give an idea of size, it's 920 sq ft.
Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SimonCSimonC Frets: 1391
    It’ll definitely be cheaper if you source and supply your own paint.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3316
    My London painter charges between 500 and 700 a room.  Someones taking the piss
  • It did seem a bit high! 

Thanks for the guidance @Blaendulais it looks like I need to source a few more quotes. At the original quoted price I was beginning to think of changing career!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 679
    edited August 2019
    I was a pro decorator for about 15 yrs. Walls in 1 easy day, woodwork 1 more easy day per room, obviously as things are drying you move into another area to best make use of your time. 300 per room, tough to price properly without seeing it, that's a rough guide. Much more than that and they are taking the piss. I did a proper job as well not a tosh-out. Too many people in the trade looking to fleece customers really boils my piss. Thank god I moved on.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks @ftumch good to hear the feedback.

There’s been a couple of quotes towards the higher end and a couple a bit lower, although all more than the rates suggested here.

Perhaps an element of supply and demand - quite a few people that I’ve had recommended aren’t able to schedule me in until November.
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    I used to do painting and decorating for a living. Unfortunately, if somone's good/trustworthy they won't be available for a months or two. Make sure you're getting quotes and not estimates. So many times those who give lowest price will claim it's an estimate and try and up the price once on the job. Unfortunately you're in London, which in my epxerience means you're likely to pay 1.5-2 x what you'd pay elsewher in the country.

I don't know if providing the paint will make much difference. I never used to charge the customer anymore for the paint than I paid for it. I would add maybe an hours labour (£25) to the quote for time incurred picking it up, maybe I was missing a trick? You mention bedrooms and bathrroms, assume there must also be a kitchen and sitting room/s?
  • Thanks @Octafish to be fair the numbers I’ve received have been firm quotes inc vat and materials.

If we’re talking rooms/spaces, there are 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, and a semi-open plan downstairs which is basically a living room and a kitchen/diner.

So to count up then the total is 3 beds, 2 baths, 1 kitchen/diner, 1 living, 1 staircase/landing = 8 rooms.

Maybe 4K for a London based quote isn’t that far off....

• OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Thanks @Octafish to be fair the numbers I’ve received have been firm quotes inc vat and materials.

If we’re talking rooms/spaces, there are 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, and a semi-open plan downstairs which is basically a living room and a kitchen/diner.

So to count up then the total is 3 beds, 2 baths, 1 kitchen/diner, 1 living, 1 staircase/landing = 8 rooms.

Maybe 4K for a London based quote isn’t that far off....

Yeah, it sounds steep, but then again if that includes all materials and they're having to charge VAT on top plus London weighting, £3500-4000 not that crazy. At a guess I wouldn't have charged much less than £2000 (5 years ago) outside of London and that's without VAT.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2418
    If they are all quoting to include VAT it means the government is pocketing about £660 of your £4k quote and what do they give you in return? - sweet FA.

Getting a freelance decorator not registered for VAT would save you that tax but, then again, at London rates maybe any decorator would soon turn over more than the VAT registration threshold.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    Jimbro66 said:
    If they are all quoting to include VAT it means the government is pocketing about £660 of your £4k quote and what do they give you in return? - sweet FA.
    Health service, education system, roads etc. If you are not satisfied with the quality of these then you could consider campaigning for higher taxes. It’s a valid point that 20% doesn’t go to the decorator. A cheaper alternative would be for the OP to cut out the middleman, take a week off work and do it himself.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Roland said:
     A cheaper alternative would be for the OP to cut out the middleman, take a week off work and do it himself.
    Yep, "paying myself" to do the work is looking like a bit of a no brainer right now, even factoring in materials, tools and opportunity cost.

It's a straightforward job so even I will struggle to mess it up....
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2418
    Roland said:
    Jimbro66 said:
    Health service, education system, roads etc. If you are not satisfied with the quality of these then you could consider campaigning for higher taxes. It’s a valid point that 20% doesn’t go to the decorator. A cheaper alternative would be for the OP to cut out the middleman, take a week off work and do it himself.
    Isn't much of that paid for by other taxes and national insurance contributions? The thing that galls about VAT is that the private individual pays it whilst VAT registered companies reclaim it.