My dad died last night.

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    zepp76 said:
    Unfortunately HA are correct,  succession of tenancies is a once only event.

Go to your GP to get a letter detailing your health problems and get to the council homeless department.

All the best mate.

I've had a meeting with a housing officer and have been told I can stay in the home until a suitable one bed home becomes available. I have the right to a tenancy just not on the family home but it looks like I'm going to be fine thanks to the very much appreciated help from the princess trust and mental health team. I can breath out and relax now, many thanks to all of you for your advice and support.

Many condolences, and well done for getting through the more practical issues. 

Good little support network on this forum - it's helped me more than I ever thought it could. Hope things start looking up for you soon. 
    Thank you, it really has helped having the kind words and advice of the forum. You have all been great, I can't thank you all enough.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    Good news about the house. 

We are starting to sort out my mother's house ( she's gone into a care home ) and it's a big bit of work so as has been said do a bit as often as you can. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    Many condolences my friend and well done on the work you have got through so far.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6386
    Great news on the house !   Just cleared my late Dad's place - in the end we got the Red Cross to do it, and they took a lot of the furniture to clean/resell.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • My condolences, I'm so sorry, I too am thinking about my father, he's been in hospital for 3 weeks and is 80 with diabetes and is having his leg amputated today, he's known for half a week now he was going to lose his leg.. Found out yesterday that was today, requested no visitors today to recover from the operation; it's a general anesthetic, am a little worried.
  • LesbianWithAGunLesbianWithAGun Frets: 785
    edited August 2019
    zepp76 said:
    As title, my dad passed away yesterday evening. After nearly 15 years of being his sole carer I am devastated. I am now staring at homelessness as the housing association will repossess the house that we have lived in for over 20 years. I don't know where to turn with all this happening, dark times ahead.
    Alright, first of all, don't panic... you've got to arrange a funeral if there isn't one in place... I hear a cremation is the cheaper of the two options between burying and cremating that most funeral homes offer... £995.00 for a dignified funeral from simplicity.co.uk... sorry for your loss.
    As for housing... If you're not already, get on to universal credit. You can apply for housing too...
    It's way better than nothing.
    Do that asap, I'm sorry, but, you've got to do a lot of stuff legally to tie up your father like the tell all scheme and, if you haven't already, and he was getting any state pension or anything like that, any state payments, annouce his death.
    It's like £10.00 for a death certificate from a hospital if he passed at one...
    You're going to need to have a funeral in place to release the body.
    You'd need the death certificate to take to the funeral home who will collect the body....

And never forget, people were lucky enough to know him, you, are even luckier, you get to be descended from him!. Sorry for your loss there brutha.
  • stephen.wood125stephen.wood125 Frets: 217
    edited August 2019
    So sorry for your loss, my dad died last September and I had to sort all of the estate out. As you mentioned earlier in the thread, I only really started grieving for him June this year when the house was sold etc.

I'm made up for you that you got a sympathetic housing officer and got to keep the house even if temporarily.

It seems like this place is fantastic support once you're known here. I know I'm just a stranger, but if you ever wanted to talk or just vent, then PM me.

Best wishes mate.

Stephen