Who do you consider to be the UK's top guitar builders?

What's Hot

Comments

• prlgmnr said:
    Waghorn, Carillion, Feline, Daemoness, Gray, Patrick Eggle

This is only going on reputation as I've had my hands on exactly 0 UK made instruments that weren't Gordon Smiths.

As far as putting my money in goes I've had a deposit in with Daemoness for two years and five months.
    You've a little way to go as far as waiting for your Daemoness goes. I put my deposit down in 2013. Guitar was finished last week!

All the right notes, not always in the right order!
    0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7731
    Probett look awesome but have never played one. I really like the recent Gordon Smith models.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 730
    tFB Trader
    *Edited .. for clarification I'm talking electrics
    www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Probett look awesome but have never played one. I really like the recent Gordon Smith models.
    They had massive quality issues a while back.
    Have they been sorted?
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3964
    prlgmnr said:

This is only going on reputation as I've had my hands on exactly 0 UK made instruments that weren't Gordon Smiths.

As far as putting my money in goes I've had a deposit in with Daemoness for two years and five months.
    You've a little way to go as far as waiting for your Daemoness goes. I put my deposit down in 2013. Guitar was finished last week!

Yeah I had a feeling I'd be waiting a little while yet.

I was quoted 30 months before the build would start at the time.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23906
    Status Graphite

prlgmnr said:

That is insane.
    Dylan is an amazing builder though.
  • I liked the one Feline I've played, I've liked every Eggle I've ever played, but I'm going to nominate http://www.caseguitars.co.uk purely because no-one else has yet...
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3419
    octatonic said:
    Have they been sorted?
    I think we should clarify that it was Gordon Smith that had the quality issues, not Probett...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Eric_CEric_C Frets: 52
    edited August 2019
    SVL Guitars...Simon Law knows his stuff and builds amazing guitars. His attention to detail is what I was looking for in a Strat and with Mark Foley's pickups its the perfect combination.   
    octatonic said:
    Have they been sorted?
    I think we should clarify that it was Gordon Smith that had the quality issues, not Probett...
    Oh yes indeed.
    Sorry if I wasn't clear.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    If you are after a 59 replica, then you definitely should check out Anthony Ryder, he really makes exceptional Les Pauls 
  • NightswanNightswan Frets: 1341
    Dylan is a great builder. I have a few guitars by him, amazing attention to detail. Carillion are also top tier stuff.
  • octatonic said:
    prlgmnr said:

That is insane.
    Yeah, Dylan and Barnes have both been great! My comment was by no way a criticism, Just pointing out that if you're the kind of person that likes instant gratification, you might be in for a shock. 

Dylans guitars are well worth the wait though.  
    octatonic said:
    prlgmnr said:

That is insane.
    Yeah, Dylan and Barnes have both been great! My comment was by no way a criticism, Just pointing out that if you're the kind of person that likes instant gratification, you might be in for a shock. 

I'm really pleased for him and glad he hasn't taken the 'churn 'em out for quick cash' route.
  • octatonic said:
    octatonic said:
    prlgmnr said:

That is insane.

I'm really pleased for him and glad he hasn't taken the 'churn 'em out for quick cash' route.
    Absolutely! With wait times for custom builds in the 5 year mark and a full order book, he has to be doing something right.  
  • elkayelkay Frets: 77
    I see Feline get a lot of mention. Before I started doing mods myself, I took my very first pickup swop to him, and he didn't return the original pups (Fender American Standard). This was way back when he worked out of a shed behind Martin Phelps. Good thing in a way, as that prompted me to do all my own mods from then on.
    5reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Haydn Williams built the best guitar I’ve owned. Love it: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/155516/ngd-williams-lil-58#latest

The Paul Richardson Strat I had was amazing too and I regret letting it go. 
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • CMW335CMW335 Frets: 2034
    edited August 2019
    I just got a Stig Burst and very happy with it, beats any of the Les Pauls I have played from the Gibson Custom Shop for sure
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • veldt666veldt666 Frets: 83

Martyn Booth, Classic, Signature, or new, Single cut model.

Exceptional workmanship.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom