LP special 2016 v 2019

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15956
Twin P90 jobs

Thinkin' specifically about the Japanese market 2016 special edition specials :) red and bound necks

V

The new and rather tasty lookin' LP TV yellow 2019 specials @ £1300

anyone compared/have experience of the two or have anything to say about the new 2019s?

The Jap market guitar can be had for around 750 or so against the new 2019 price.....whaddya'all think?
tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• tony99tony99 Frets: 7104
    edited August 2019
    I've got a USA, tv yellow with bound board, 2012. I'd put it up against any of the old japanese or the new 19's no problemo, up for sale too!!
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15956
    Is it in the classifies?
    tae be or not tae be
  • markjmarkj Frets: 914
    Hootsmon said:
    Twin P90 jobs

Thinkin' specifically about the Japanese market 2016 special edition specials :) red and bound necks

V

The new and rather tasty lookin' LP TV yellow 2019 specials @ £1300

anyone compared/have experience of the two or have anything to say about the new 2019s?

The Jap market guitar can be had for around 750 or so against the new 2019 price.....whaddya'all think?

The new 2019 specials  are superbly made. The action / playability and intonation of the guitar direct from Peach was spot on. Yes I've changed the pickups to a set which I prefer but the original Gibson ones are great.
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7104
    edited August 2019
    Hootsmon said:
    Is it in the classifies?
    Haven't put it up yet, going away for a few weeks. Will list it when back. There's a piccy in guitar family though
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15956
    is the 2019 special 2x piece body?
    tae be or not tae be
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    My 2016 Special from that Japan run is really good - I mean really good.

I have the upgrade bug like many others around here, but the Special is still stock for fear of ruining it in some unforeseen way.

Can't speak for the 2019 Specials, but from what I can see the specs look identical, apart from the colour.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dallcorpdallcorp Frets: 139
    Agreed.......I think Gibson have responded to the universally positive response of the 2016  Japan Proprietary model by just re-releasing it? I'd love to measure/compare the neck profiles?
    (and they must have even figured out that the few 2016 TV Yellow models were trading at a premium second hand over the cherry ones!).......Internet forums must make the market researcher's work easy these days?
    Not sure, but Gibson may well have done that.

The neck profile was described in the spec as being "C shaped".  It reminds me of the "transitional" profile of the Warren Haynes ES-335 I had at one point.
  • markjmarkj Frets: 914
    Hootsmon said:
    is the 2019 special 2x piece body?
    Mine has a one piece body.
    I can't find a seam on my 2016 Special either, or they glued it together really skillfully.
  • TwoToneGreenTwoToneGreen Frets: 7
    edited August 2019
    I have a 2016 model which I bought on sale from Music Store. The guitar is nice but it is marked by a degree of regret on my part as I had to return the first example which I received due to a poorly milled fretboard. The second guitar I received has a much more visible body seam, weighs more and doesn't sound quite as raucous.

That being said, unless you want a Special in TV Yellow, the difference in price would seem to recommend the 2016 model, even once you factor in the cost of the hardcase.

The 2016 model has a moderately chunky neck and decent pot tapers, though in the longer term I would probably consider upgrading the harness.

Despite this, it is a lot of guitar for the money ultimately.