DIY Edge Rolling

What's Hot
thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
I just tried out the Player and American Pro Strats.

I actually preferred the Player with one exception - the lack of rolled fretboard edges. Because I'm so used to rolled they felt sharp.

I know it's possible DIY roll the edges yourself and there are guides online but I ask the wise men on here - is it a good idea? Any reason not to?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7271
    I did mine with the round edge of a screwdriver. I just did it side to side until it was smooth.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7076
    not sure if I read doing maple boards can crack the finish
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    It will be a maple board so very interested if that causes problems
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22515
    It will definitely crack or remove the finish on the edge of a maple board, depending on method used.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9498
    This can happen on a rosewood board as well. Do not ask me how I know this.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10227
    Philly_Q said:
    It will definitely crack or remove the finish on the edge of a maple board, depending on method used.
    This. 

My mates (definitely not mine, honest Guv) Classic Player Strat. 

https://imgur.com/a/p8ATfa2

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1845
    Would the fret edges not be proud and need bevelled as a result? 
    Not looking too promising so far.

The annoying thing is that neither option are as good as my current Strat; the Pro does have rolled edges but they've changed the shape of the neck to one I like less.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6635
    Best bet with a lacquered neck is sanding the edges and a wipe over with truoil. That’s how the edges of heavily worn necks would have been rounded, you can’t change the shape without damaging the lacquer.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7076
    thegummy said:
    Not looking too promising so far.

The annoying thing is that neither option are as good as my current Strat; the Pro does have rolled edges but they've changed the shape of the neck to one I like less.
    Got a nice american special there Gums, lovely satinny maple board on it, right up your street chum.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    mrkb said:
    Best bet with a lacquered neck is sanding the edges and a wipe over with truoil. That’s how the edges of heavily worn necks would have been rounded, you can’t change the shape without damaging the lacquer.
    When you say lacquered does that include the Player Strat neck or is that the finish used on high end models?
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6635
    thegummy said:
    mrkb said:
    When you say lacquered does that include the Player Strat neck or is that the finish used on high end models?
    Any hard polymeric wood finish, nitro, polyurethane, etc

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lacquer
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18374
    mrkb said:
    thegummy said:
    mrkb said:

Good point simply made. Why would anyone expect such a coating to behave otherwise?
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    Just done a bit of edge rolling with a Stanley blade. So far, its working pretty well.
    Rolling or Shaving?
    Sounds a bit like an old Stones track ...
    Zoolooter said:
    Just done a bit of edge rolling with a Stanley blade. So far, its working pretty well.
    Is the fretboard maple or rosewood?
    mrkb said:
    thegummy said:
    mrkb said:

Had to ask since Fender use the word lacquer in model names to specifically denote a nitro finish.

So are you saying sanding then wiping with truoil can roll the edges without damaging the surrounding area, or that it will still (or have a good chance of) damage the finish around it but it's still the best way to do it?
    Just remember that Gibson & Fender Nitro finishes are not the same  (Gibson not usually sprayed over Poly like Fender).
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1534
    Sanding the edge between the frets will soften the edge and cause least damage to the surrounding finish. With any scraping method you are likely to chip the finish. Sanding will leave a graduated demarcation between edge-wood and finish, a scraper unilkely to.
    The fret ends shouldnt be affected as the neck edge is only being rounded between the frets. Think of it as being scalloped.

Adam
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Play the bejaysus out of it for 10 years or so. That'll do the job.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom