Is there nobody here who buys NEW kit?

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4941
I put this question in the Amps section, it applies equally to Guitars, Bass and all music kit.  Is there anyone here who buys New kit or is everything bought used or second hand?

I prefer to buy new but I have bought a few items used.  There is a very small guitar market in Ireland so new gives more choice.  There is a decent amount of genuine vintage kit available but it tends to be expensive.  Discuss.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• very very rarely, often trading around, especially on this forum yeilds the best results, i've even ended up trading an amp and getting it back again from someone else on the forum after they traded it. 
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JackobeanJackobean Frets: 667
    Nah, I piss away enough money buying second hand. Be out on the street if I bought everything new.
  • HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 979
    Personally, I very much prefer new guitars, as opposed to "previously intimately fondled"...  by some other individual, however clean they may be.  Guitars are an instrument one gets quite close to, so it's always felt a bit like borrowing someone else's clothes.

Quite happy for the right second hand eletrical kit though.  That said, warranties and a likely longer life makes me tend toward new, but it depends on the thing.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd buy new amps etc where a guarantee is important due to it being my livelihood (and to a lesser degree my reputation if it shits its pants on a gig). I have similar thoughts on PA.

Would rather not buy guitars new. Sure fire way to lose money.

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11788
    Only buy new when I can't get it used, or it's a bargain anyway
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    Very rarely buy kit new. If I do it means I'm planning to keep it for the long haul. Buying secondhand is useful as I can try stuff out for a while without making much of a loss if/when I eventually move it on. And I like old guitars; you can't buy those new.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    All the time, but usually through people I know in the trade.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    I bought two new acoustics this year because I wanted to choose the guitar rather than just buy what was available.

However, my best purchase this year was a used Mesa Maverick which I couldn't be happier with. 
  • Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 599
    edited August 2019
    I find looking for used kit here pretty pointless. Not very much of interest and what you do find is priced way too high. I saw a PRS SE priced at the equivalent of £550 locally. Cheaper new! Old Peavey amps for example you pick up for buttons in the UK are well over £100 here. Even Budapest is shakey. High end is ok from a couple of decent shops but the free ads are full of tat or allright stuff but just expensive.

Our second hand (multiple hands really) tractor just died and I have a feeling it may have had issues prior to our ownership. And don`t get me started on the used car market in Hungary.............. Jesus,.......

You lot do have it good. I just go to Thomann!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Jetsam1 said:
    I find looking for used kit here pretty pointless. Not very much of interest and what you do find is priced way too high. I saw a PRS SE priced at the equivalent of £550 locally. Cheaper new! Old Peavey amps for example you pick up for buttons in the UK are well over £100 here. Even Budapest is shakey. High end is ok from a couple of decent shops but the free ads are full of tat or allright stuff but just expensive.

Our second hand (multiple hands really) tractor just died and I have a feeling it may have had issues prior to our ownership. And don`t get me started on the used car market in Hungary.............. Jesus,.......

I found the same in Singapore.
    I could buy things cheaper from Thomann including shipping and import duty.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 599
    octatonic said:
    Jetsam1 said:

I found the same in Singapore.
    I could buy things cheaper from Thomann including shipping and import duty.

And get exactly what you want too. I`ve ordered form Thomann twice since living here after finding the local towns music shops a bit underwhelming. The usual Hungarian fear of actually carrying stock!
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31367
    I buy new more often than not. I live too far from anywhere to be able to try gear in person, and obviously get better consumer rights buying new from shops. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    Unfortunately they don't make new 30 year old guitars anymore.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • All of my gear is purchased new. 

Although I got a free used Squier Strat when I visited a tip and someone was about to chuck it.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7730
    Last new guitar was a Taylor GS mini 6 years ago. Lots of new parts that cost as much as a guitar since. I just can't justify the price of new stuff when I have so much gear already. 
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7743
    edited August 2019
    I’ve only ever bought one guitar new, and it was the biggest heap of cr@p I’ve ever owned.  Was my first electric, still loved it. 
    I’ve trained good friends find great used guitars, then bug them to sell them to me
  • I just bought a new Squier contemporary strat , put some gotoh locking tuners on , got it set up and graphtec string trees installed. I absolutely love it . After a tiger Kramer , charvel So Cal, jackson soloist,ibanez S series ,  I never thought I would end up with a Squier being the one. I do miss the Kramer though as it looked freakin awesome. I find I don’t get on with floating Floyd bridges . Love my Squier with its 80s skateboard stickers, 80s neon green nob ease knobs and neon pink dimarzio cliplock .  I just got a new NuX  mighty lite amp too. What an awesome bit of kit . My other amp is a katana 50 which is a lot lighter than my valvestates were , plus I have a boss gt1 which can go through a P.A .   I got the Squier from Andertons . Good transaction really got their shit together. I also like merchant city music, gak, gear4music ,guitarguitar,richtone , pmt, absolute music and Nevada for dealing with. All very good. Ooh forgot thomann 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11799
    I bought all my amps new.

All my pedals are new, every single one.  

I have had 8 guitars, 3 were 2nd hand, 5 are new.
  • Yes, quite a bit. 

Bye!

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26450
    See, I normally go second hand for just about everything, but I've just totted up my live rig and...

Guitars - all Jaden Rose, new (one came in kit form).
    Wireless - Xvive U2, new.
    Effects - Helix LT, new.
    Amp - Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170, new.
    Cab - Matrix NL212, new.

Even my cables were new (albeit a few home made).

How odd.
    <space for hire>