Is there nobody here who buys NEW kit?

What's Hot

Comments

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    I buy new all the time, very rarely used gear.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23906
    Yup.

Amps are all new. Instruments half and half.
    pedals half and half as well.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    I buy used as long as it's in good condition.
    In 50 years or so I've probably only bought new about a dozen times. I don't buy online, I like to try before I buy.
    And I don't buy the sort of disposable rubbish that's so popular these days.
  • Freebird said:
    Unfortunately they don't make new 30 year old guitars anymore.
    In fairness, I don't think anybody ever has?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    Some courier firms manage to simulate decades of gigging wear and tear in a single van journey!
    Be seeing you.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    Bought a new set of Highwood Strat saddles and a custom wound Radioshop Strat bridge pickup brand new the other day. Anything like an amp, pedal or complete guitar I’d never dream of buying new. 
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    All of my gear is purchased new. 

Although I got a free used Squier Strat when I visited a tip and someone was about to chuck it.

I've had two amps from the tip.

Think I only have a couple of pedals that are new. Half my pedals are home made plus all cables...and my slide.
  • BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 349
    Sometimes I buys new.  Sometimes I buys used.
  • Low cost - New 
    High Cost - Second Hand
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 584
    The new kit is seldom very different from the old. Most manufacturers have been making the same stuff for years, with minor modifications to keep the customers interested. It is hard to imagine anything being made today becoming a classic.
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4722
    edited August 2019
    It depends and I've not got a policy to one thing or the other. Second hand or not. Private sale or through a shop. Christchurch is in striking distance of enough decent shops that I can usually try before I buy. I've only once bought a guitar without trying it first - and it went straight back. I'm OK about amps that are second hand as long as they're working when I collect them and I think they're repairable if they break down afterwards. I'm OK about guitars that are second hand if all the controls work and it feels good and sounds good. 

• Guitars and amps I've bought have generally been used. It gives the impression I'm saving money.

When I sold on a MkII Superlead, I was looking to replace it with a 1w Marshall. I couldn't find any at the right price, and ended up just buying a DSL1 from a clearance in Dawson's.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    Used almost all of the time now but my main guitar I've had for years was new. I just can't justify the cost of new stuff when used works just as well and costs a lot less. Buying from reputable people on here there's not much of a risk.
  • Chris_JChris_J Frets: 139
    My 2 electric guitar amps were second hand, acoustic amp a shop return, but, the thr practice thingy was new.

Again, guitars a mix of new and second hand. My 75 reissue jazz was a freebie for helping a mate get a job. Don't feel bad for him, he still has 3 Rics.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    ...most of my gear was bought new. Two amps that were used, were literally 2 weeks old in both cases and have the receipts/original warranties showing this to be the case. All pedals, new, guitars new. One hardcase was used but I split that from a sale I was undertaking for a customer and kept it, so not purchased. But when I was 15, no-one else I knew had gear so was no option to buy used then - unless you were in bands and older of course.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    VERY rarely. Only when heavily discounted as showroom soiled stock or demonstrators and I really want that model. I just bought a Jazzmaster that fitted into that category. It's cool to have the full warranty etc and pay used prices.

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    I prefer getting used kit; however I did buy a new Markbass amp this year.

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    A bit of both, certainly expensive new stuff like my Helix I bought new for the warranty.  Guitars I normally buy used as I hate being the first one to ding them. 
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    I bought my first 3 guitars new, but after buying my first 2nd hand guitar, I never bought new again. Why buy new when you can get a much better guitar for the same price? Same goes for my amps and cabs. Bought 1 amp And 1 cab new, rest have been 2nd hand.

If I worked out how much I would have paid for my current gear if I bought new, I must have saved a fortune!
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9444
    edited August 2019
    Ive often bought new... still do, where finances allow.

Why ? Some ‘used’ sales are unrealistic, in terms of them being quite close to new prices.

Big purchases (e.g. Kemper) always buy new.