Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Removing tone pots: likely "tonal" effects?

What's Hot
JetfireJetfire Frets: 1687
As I'm a ham fisted guitarist, the volume pot on my blacktop strat is kinda in the way, so I'm thinking of having a Jim Root style scratch plate for my HH set up and a single volume knob moved right out of the way. I am assuming I'll need to remove the tone pots too, but what could this do to the tone? 

If I do ahead with this, I prob will make a recording to look back on..
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    It will be like turning the tone up to 11. A tiny increase in brightness that you may or may not notice, depending on your cables, effects and amp.

If it is a problem you can always have a simple resistor and cap added inside to duplicate the tone control on 10.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    edited August 2019
    The loading effect of the tone control on the pickup is lost. As ICBM states, this will pass additional treble frequencies - possibly, more than you bargained for.

The old PRS Upgrade Kit included parts to simulate the tonal loss effect of loading. 

1) 470k resistor between the hot and ground terminals of the output jack socket.

2) 500k resistor and .022uF capacitor, in series, between the input terminal of the master volume pot and ground.
    Be seeing you.
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 734
    Sonic Youth Jazzmasters have this - pretty sure they mostly use neck pickups though, the bridge pickups are super bright!
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    My strat copy doesn't have a tone knob for the bridge humbucker (no other pickups). I haven't noticed any issues with it being overly bright, it's nothing you can't EQ in or out.
  • CasperCasterCasperCaster Frets: 760
    edited August 2019
    For similar reasons to you most of my Strats are master volume and master tone. I used to rewire them and leave the volume pot hole empty, but now I buy pickguards without the pot holes drilled, and drill them to suit. I've put this picture up before - the walnut coloured Strat on the right has a master volume and master tone plus mini toggle switch and 5-way lever: 

https://i.imgur.com/CyYmUFV.jpg 

However, before you do anything try just removing the knob from the volume. It's then a smaller target to hit and might work for you. It's what I do prior to rewiring. 

• WonkyWonky Frets: 188
    I used to use a guitar on a project many years ago with no tone control and just like ICBM said, it was a very bright sounding guitar.  I compensated for this with my amp settings.  It had Schaller Golden 50's pickups in it and they were anything but that without the tone control.  Not in a bad way mind, just very different.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    I put 3 of those tiny little Boss pedal knobs on my Strat. Doesn't get in the way and I find it easier and more positive for volume changes.
    Aesthetically might not be to everyone's taste but I don't care.
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 470
    edited August 2019
    A simple one volume one tone circuit works well on a Strat. If you fit a switched pot you can switch out the tone circuit thus giving you an instant tonal change between your preset tone and a brighter no tone control circuit.
  • Worked for Eddie Van Halen! Thing to do is look at how often you actually use the tone control when playing, I’d like to bet most of us don’t , then if you find you don’t use it just adjust the tone on your set up to suit .
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • WonkyWonky Frets: 188
    Worked for Eddie Van Halen! Thing to do is look at how often you actually use the tone control when playing, I’d like to bet most of us don’t , then if you find you don’t use it just adjust the tone on your set up to suit .
    Worked for Ed!  I'd really love to hear that story man.
    That's one reason the guitar I played for that specific project didn't have a tone control.  Didn't use it at all for what I was playing and also I found it give the guitar a slightly wilder feel.  Hard to explain, but sort of un-throttled in a way.  Or maybe tonally open is a better way of putting it.  It did change the tonal character of the pickups, but for that project it really worked well. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I've removed the bridge tone from my Les Paul studio, it makes the signal so much hotter and there's more high end, which works nicely as we play in drop b and as I use a 6505+ live it gives it a bit more cut through.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Not sure if I've missed something here but why not just remove the volume pot and where the two tone pots are stock, have a volume and a tone? Then you'll still have a tone control.
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4136
    edited August 2019
    On a similar vein to this, any idea where I could get a no load tone pot, like the one they fit to the Charvel Pro-Mod series?
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

On a similar vein to this, any idea where I could get a no load tone pot, like the one they fit to the Charvel Pro-Mod series?
    Are they different to a normal no-load tone pot in any way?
    Worked for Eddie Van Halen! Thing to do is look at how often you actually use the tone control when playing, I’d like to bet most of us don’t , then if you find you don’t use it just adjust the tone on your set up to suit .
    Surely most people do use it beyond beginner level?

Come to think of it, I don't think I remember seeing the guitarist in my band ever using it, though it's likely I'd just never have noticed.

It would be funny if the type of people who discuss the tone qualities of the number of screws in trems, and the material the nut is made of, never used their tone control.
  • thegummy said:
    No, not as far as I know. I googled 'no-load tone pot' earlier though and didn't get anything even remotely helpful...
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

thegummy said:
    No, not as far as I know. I googled 'no-load tone pot' earlier though and didn't get anything even remotely helpful...
    Would you prefer that it clicked in to position at no-load or was just smooth like a normal tone pot?
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    I never use a tone control with humbuckers, it just doesn't give any worthwhile sounds for me. With singles and P90s I find it useful for getting rid of that horrible scratchy twang you can get under gain. Volume I use all the time as I like single channel amps. 
    This is the one I would recommend, it doesn't click in to position, it's smooth like a normal tone pot but is out of the circuit at 10:

https://www.northwestguitars.co.uk/cts-split-shaft-no-load-tone-potentiometer-250k-or-500k-for-stratocaster-telecaster-guitars/

There's the Fender one which clicks in to the no-load position but I disliked it because it makes it a bit harder to adjust with the pinky:

https://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/parts-c4/electronics-c698/potentiometers-c109/fender-no-load-250k-solid-shaft-pot-tone-p5295
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    Allparts do them in both 250K and 500K.

thegummy said:

Surely most people do use it beyond beginner level?

It would be funny if the type of people who discuss the tone qualities of the number of screws in trems, and the material the nut is made of, never used their tone control.
    I would guess most guitarists never actually use the tone control - many don't use the volume control either, except to turn off between songs.

Whether I do or not depends on the type of music I'm playing and the band context. If I'm using a very 'structured' sort of sound with specific programmed effects changes, I never use the controls. If I'm playing a more traditional plain overdriven rock guitar style then I do.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson