Bit of advice needed for shredding

What's Hot
Hey,
So I'm into metal and have been trying to build up my speed for a while. To give a reference, I can play the first bit of the Master of Puppets solo at 180bpm at a push (triplets), 212 is the original.
I've been practicing stuff like the cowboys from hell riff too, but I get to about 100 out of 115bpm and I hit a wall.
I'm using light pressure, pick is angled but I'm trying to work that out, building up speed with a metronome...
Tried watching a bit of rock discipline, seems good but I forgot to go back to it... Is it worth it??

Thanks for any advice guys!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Paul31Paul31 Frets: 22
    edited August 2019
    Hi Doodlegame! Maybe you could try a few of these ideas they may help you.

You could be overtrying maybe and then of course things get abit tense and then you will reach a sticking point, i never used a metronome myself i just developed the timing in my head more so no outside tracking to follow, also away to get past sticking points is to go a little faster even if a tade sloppy, and then clean it up over time and go up in little stages, maybe that could help you because it sows a feel into the muscle memory cells.

As well maybe try breaking up your practise routine could be you are spending to much time on just the few licks, learn many then it can trick the mind abit and things will maybe become a little easier that way for you.

Anyhow Good Luck! with your playing.
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    Watch the Troy Grady cracking the code stuff - massively helps with picking technique which ultimately results in more speed and cleaner shredding. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul31 said:
    Hi Doodlegame! Maybe you could try a few of these ideas they may help you.

You could be overtrying maybe and then of course things get abit tense and then you will reach a sticking point, i never used a metronome myself i just developed the timing in my head more so no outside tracking to follow, also away to get past sticking points is to go a little faster even if a tade sloppy, and then clean it up over time and go up in little stages, maybe that could help you because it sows a feel into the muscle memory cells.

As well maybe try breaking up your practise routine could be you are spending to much time on just the few licks, learn many then it can trick the mind abit and things will maybe become a little easier that way for you.

Anyhow Good Luck! with your playing.
    Awesome, thanks for the tips!
  • johnl said:
    Watch the Troy Grady cracking the code stuff - massively helps with picking technique which ultimately results in more speed and cleaner shredding.

For sure I'll check that out, thank you!
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    With that sort of playing it's really easy to make your right hand too tense, which is when things start to fall apart. It's hard to keep it relaxed but it really does help. Playing to a metronome is really boring but it will help - I prefer playing/recording to drums though. That way you're doing something fun, but also practicing at the same time. With the soloing stuff, a lot of it is just repetitive practice and you have to be prepared to put the time in. I'm very into the shreddy stuff myself, but my picking has always been crap...so about 2.5 years ago I really started concentrating on it and working it into my practice every day, including looking at both my hands, minimising the movement each was making, adjusting the pick angle (see Troy Grady as mentioned!) etc - and I'm now loads better at it. Still needs work but it was worth the effort!