NWD - Sometimes the simple answer is the right one

What's Hot
I'd been toying with replacing my wireless system for a while, having had two break on me (G30 which I still have, which just cuts out for no apparent reason) and a cheapy USB one that worked fine for about 4 months then the jack on the transmitter developed a loose connection. 

I'm not a gigging player, but wireless is hugely advantageous when I'm running my YBTB sessions and need to get around the room helping 5 or 6 kids on different instruments. It's also pretty normal during performances for me to have to play or sing at least one part to help the kids out, and make eye contact with them for key bits of a song. 

So I needed something simple, foolproof, more robust than what I'd had before and it didn't need to go 500 feet to the bar, just around the room. 

I saw an ex display, but fully warrantied Line 6 Relay G10 on the evil bay, but from an actual shop the other day so I finally took the plunge. 

Obviously I can't speak for longevity yet, but it's super solid, works brilliantly and has some features that I really rate. The auto cut out when you unplug (no pop), 4 minute time out battery saver and quick wake up when you start playing again are all super slick, and the transmitter is tiny! 

It does now seem to come with a new extender for different guitar jacks which I hadn't seen mentioned in reviews. This works really well on anything with the jack on the top of the guitar like my Jag bass: 

My one minor negative, which I knew about before I bought it, is that the receiver (which is also the charging dock for the transmitter) is powered by a micro usb cable. You get a plug and cable of decent length, but we all know how temperamental those cables can be. 

I'm sure this will serve me well! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    I've been singing the virtues of the G10 Relay ever since I got mine 18 mths or so ago, for the same reasons.  I like the new extender - do you know if that can be bought separately? 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Voxman said:
    I've been singing the virtues of the G10 Relay ever since I got mine 18 mths or so ago, for the same reasons.  I like the new extender - do you know if that can be bought separately? 
    I don't know, purely because until I opened the box, I didn't know it existed! There's even an addendum to the manual about it. 

My guess is it's in response to customer feedback, so if you email them they'll probably just send you one. 

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8175
    I have one and when it's working, it's great. But it did break twice during the first year and had to go back. Very disappointed. 

One thing's for sure - going back to cables afterwards is an absolute nightmare!
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • @Hattigol ...what broke? Worried now heh! 

• I’m thinking of getting the new boss one to give it a go (all for the good of the community, you know) - but it’s still preorder. Bah.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8175
    @Hattigol ...what broke? Worried now heh! 
    It just started cutting out like a staccato effect - same issue both times. Works fine now but I was annoyed that Line 6 wouldn't refund me at the time. 
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    edited August 2019
    Thread resurrection due to likely death of my Xvive U2. (gah).

hey @Legionreturns hope all good. Does the G10's receiver need to be connected to power in use? Or does it have an on-board rechargeable battery like the transmitter?

Ta.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3851
    edited August 2019
    What’s happening to your xvive @pmbomb if you don’t mind me asking? I want one but not if they’re unreliable.
    hey @Deadmanthe U2 receiver battery life has dropped from ~ 3+ hours on a full charge to 45 minutes (also the red charging light on it doesn't extinguish, which it should when fully charged).

shame as it's now useless for band practice and not reliable for gigs. great bit of kit otherwise.

I've emailed XVive but they are 13 months old so expectations of a good outcome are limited.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3851
    Ah cheers man, that doesn’t sound too good. I don’t like wasting cash on unreliable kit nowadays, I’m pretty intolerant to be honest! I liked the idea of the xvive (didn’t want a docking station/usb thingy) but will keep looking. Cheers for the reply.
    no trouble.

the form factor is another good point for the xvive - the body is on a 180 degree hinge from the jack so it can be set flat against guitar body and hinged to squeeze into a pedal board alongside a pedal.

but first and foremost it has to be reliable eh.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9444
    Deadman said:
    Ah cheers man, that doesn’t sound too good. I don’t like wasting cash on unreliable kit nowadays, I’m pretty intolerant to be honest! I liked the idea of the xvive (didn’t want a docking station/usb thingy) but will keep looking. Cheers for the reply.
    My Xvive worked perfectly, as did the G10.
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 911
    I've had my Xvive for a couple of years and it's been totally reliable. I had two gigs on a Friday, an hour then a two hour. The Xvive did both on a single charge.
    good to hear chaps. @Wazmeister how long have you had your Xvive? and can you help with my query abpve the the G10?

my dilemma is the XVive is likely out of warranty now, but I'm loathe to buy another after just 13 months. still, who knows, I've emailed asking them, maybe they'll replace it.

• LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited August 2019
    The G10 base unit has to be plugged in with a micro USB cable. I had it on my board. 

Honestly though, guitar guitar have still got the G75/70 on ridiculous discount. Well worth the extra cash. I'm loving mine. 

I now keep the G10 as a spare, but it's occasionally very useful. The other night, I was running the desk for a mini festival and needed to add a keyboard from the far side of the stage. I just lobbed the G10 at the keyboard player. Worked brilliantly. 

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9444
    pmbomb said:

hey @Legionreturns hope all good. Does the G10's receiver need to be connected to power in use? Or does it have an on-board rechargeable battery like the transmitter?

Ta.
    Needs to be connected to power.

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26451
    edited August 2019
    drwiddly said:
    I've had my Xvive for a couple of years and it's been totally reliable. I had two gigs on a Friday, an hour then a two hour. The Xvive did both on a single charge.
    I've had mine for about a year or so, and it's rock solid. I've taken to carrying a cheap 12,000mAh mobile USB battery around with me - I just charge it one in a while and keep it in the gig bag. That way, if I get to soundcheck and my wireless batteries are dead, I can just use a double USB cable and charge the transmitter/receiver/both before our set.

Also handy when I forget to charge my phone.

I have to use the U2, because I use the Helix LT bare (ie no board), so plumbing in a wireless base station is just more shit to go wrong at a gig. Far, far easier to just have a dongle pair to plug in.

Only problem is that a some of my guitars from Jaden have recessed jacks, so I had to make a couple of short jack extension cables, and stick some velcro on my strap and the transmitter. Works a treat.
    <space for hire>
    pmbomb said:

Ta.
    Needs to be connected to power.

thx. shame.
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3352
    Damn, I thought the thread title read "new wife day, sometimes the simple answer is the right one" and I felt yhe GAS brewing.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.