Incoming Harley Benton...

What's Hot
darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11671
So, thought I'd put my money where my mouth is and order this rather handsome specimen, for the ludicrously low sum of £160.

Wanted a "V type" guitar for ages, so hoping this will prove a fun addition to the collection, and if it turns out anything on it sucks, a bit of a project as well.

We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5653
    I actually quite dig the black and gold on that. And if it does turn out to be hateful, which I really doubt, look how much fun it is to photograph. Kinda want one now. 
  • WonkyWonky Frets: 188
    That looks a lot of guitar for the cash.  Let us know what it turns out like.  Be interesting to know what it's like
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7076
    hmmmm could have sworn you said you wanted a 

Harley Benton TE-40 TBK Deluxe Series

in your Harley Benton thread, at which point I said I'd like one of their V's and then you changed your mind

it's basically me you've got to thank for this
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • baldybaldy Frets: 195
    I don"t think that you will disappointed, but as said at £160 it will make a good modding platform anyway.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11671
    tony99 said:

in your Harley Benton thread, at which point I said I'd like one of their V's and then you changed your mind

You know what @tony99 you are actually correct!  I've been looking for one of Vintage's Vs for some time, and never seen one, so you DID point me at HB's Vs...

so, thanks bud :)
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7076
    tony99 said:

You know what @tony99 you are actually correct!  I've been looking for one of Vintage's Vs for some time, and never seen one, so you DID point me at HB's Vs...

so, thanks bud :)
    enjoy amigo !!
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 470
    I see that they’re dodging the Gibson legal people again by having a different headstock. Some years ago I bought a Benton V which has the Gibson- like arrowhead headstock and a stopbar tailpiece. It’s okay but I never really liked it. It now props up the wall in my guitar room, must get round to selling it on the dreaded eBay.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    I see that they’re dodging the Gibson legal people again by having a different headstock. Some years ago I bought a Benton V which has the Gibson- like arrowhead headstock and a stopbar tailpiece. It’s okay but I never really liked it. It now props up the wall in my guitar room, must get round to selling it on the dreaded eBay.
    But dont Gibson *want* to work with other manufactureres now? Im sure they be really happy doing a deal with HB rofl 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • I see that they’re dodging the Gibson legal people again by having a different headstock. Some years ago I bought a Benton V which has the Gibson- like arrowhead headstock and a stopbar tailpiece. It’s okay but I never really liked it. It now props up the wall in my guitar room, must get round to selling it on the dreaded eBay.
    Hmm, I might be interested in that when you do come to sell... I was just looking at the HB ones and the shape of the headstock was putting me off, actually...
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

The body shape is a bit different as well, not much but a bit.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    Don't Dean have a different headstock?
    Hmm, I might be interested in that when you do come to sell... I was just looking at the HB ones and the shape of the headstock was putting me off, actually...
    I’ll probably list it along with an HB35 and an old HB Explorer on eBay when I can get round to taking pictures etc, it’s just a lot of hassle for a few quid. The only HB I’ve really liked is the Beatle Bass copy, I’m not a bass player but I find that it suits me for noodling around on. I’m tempted by the LP Junior style guitar that they’ve just introduced but I suspect that I’d find it disappointing when I played it.

crunchman said:
    Don't Dean have a different headstock?
    Yes they’re an accident waiting to happen. I’ve got a Dean Leslie West Mississippi Queen single pickup guitar with the graphics on the body and a silly headstock. A really nice instrument to play though.
    Right, I got it....

So a review of this, slightly higher end, Harley Benton.

So the bad, which everyone wants to hear, first.  The fretboard was dirty, the frets probably need polishing and it needs new strings.  but I can say the same thing for most new guitars I've ever bought.  There are some small errors in fit and finish, notably where the strings go into the bottom of the body, the little gold bits were not all properly fitted.

Also, the action was a bit taxi-to-the-fretboard on receipt.  I've already lowered it a bit with decent results.

The fret edges are not sharp, but they aren't especially well finished either.

The nut is quite badly cut.

The good.

Although the "Roswell" (who is they?) pickups sound a bit generic, they do sound fairly decent.  The hardware all actually feels decent, no noises from switches or pots.

Build overall is actually extremely good.  Apart from a couple of tiny finish marks, it's hard to find fault with it, and it's on a par with an Epiphone overall, quality wise.

For £160 it's a total bargain.  It needs a bit of work which I'm going to try and do myself, if not, a trip to a tech...