Guitarist of the year 2019 finalist

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Wonky said:

I'm not usually a fan, but that was pretty sweet.
    Great solo. And if there was a competition for best guitar face, Guthrie would win that as well.
    Not sure what his eyebrows are up to but they're pretty lively whatever it is.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    Sassafras said:
    Wonky said:

Great solo. And if there was a competition for best guitar face, Guthrie would win that as well.
    The Guthrie video is a rerun for the cameras, the video doesn't match the audio, there are a few places where the vibrato on the audio not matched by Guthrie's fingers in the video. See 0.44s

It's a terrific solo and tone though.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WonkyWonky Frets: 188
    Sassafras said:
    Wonky said:

I'm thinking we should have a thread on here with FB members best faces whilst playing.  That's got to be the thread of the year, surely!
    I'll get to work on a starter video when I get a chance and you better all join in! =)
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    What I always find slightly odd about these is that the finalists have expensive guitars that they've carefully chosen to suit their style and the prize is always a guitar that you imagine they'll put away in a cupboard somewhere. As the point is obviously more about the honour and the publicity perhaps they could have a more useful prize ( or even no prize) or find someway to donate the prize guitar to someone who actually wants it.

Competitions in music aren't exactly novel but ( like the isn't John Mayer/ Eric Clapton/ Wellington Womble over rated threads we have on here) you need to be quite specific about what is being judged otherwise it's a bit meaningless. However, for all my grumbles ( and the grumbles of those before me) I'm sure it takes an enormous amount of dedication to get to this point and I wish them all well. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WonkyWonky Frets: 188
    What I always find slightly odd about these is that the finalists have expensive guitars that they've carefully chosen to suit their style and the prize is always a guitar that you imagine they'll put away in a cupboard somewhere. As the point is obviously more about the honour and the publicity perhaps they could have a more useful prize ( or even no prize) or find someway to donate the prize guitar to someone who actually wants it.

Competitions in music aren't exactly novel but ( like the isn't John Mayer/ Eric Clapton/ Wellington Womble over rated threads we have on here) you need to be quite specific about what is being judged otherwise it's a bit meaningless. However, for all my grumbles ( and the grumbles of those before me) I'm sure it takes an enormous amount of dedication to get to this point and I wish them all well. 

Do you know what, I never even looked or considered there maybe a prize until you said!  Just did a quick search and couldn't find what it is, although being sponsored by PRS I'm thinking it's one of them.
    I agree they all seem to have chosen their guitars well to suit what they are doing in their videos.
    But if they are like me, maybe covering different genres like I do, they may need various different sorts of guitar for different things.  I hate to think of a great guitar tucked away under someones bed or in a cupboard somewhere!!!  I think you're right that they should get a prize to suit what they do though.
    Great post by the way.  I don't think you're grumbling at all man.  Truly a balanced view.  I personally think overrated is overrated!   ;)
    I can't imagine being a judge on something like this TBH.  Like you said, what would you judge on?  Is there a tick sheet for such a thing?  They're all amazing.  I think though, the fact I like all their musical genres helps a lot for me.  Truly, they are all awesome guitarist and that makes me really happy for the future of what we do.  All so different, but all amazing and all guitar!
    In fact wouldn't it be amazing if they were FretBoard members.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4947
    Just because fifty posters say (GG and the like) is good doesn’t mean it is good. One would be enough if it is good. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• tony99tony99 Frets: 7076
    axisus said:
    something memorable, like Sylvia by Focus for example.
    don't actually remember that one to be fair
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!