Removing fingerprints from matte black guitar?

What's Hot
zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
As title really, I was just wondering what would be the best way to remove fingerprints and other marks from a matte black guitar please? Can it be done without glossing the paint or is it just a case of leaving it and putting up with the marks? Many thanks in advance for any tips and advice you can give.
Tomorrow will be a good day.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mbembe Frets: 1840
    edited August 2019
    I have a Satin Black Jackson SL2 and I use a clean damp cloth to freshen it up. If you wanted to be ultra careful you could dampen the cloth with distilled water. Don't rub too hard

I think anything else might shine it up and then it might be impossible to restore the original finish. It's always going to be a problem with matt finishes. I have a Kramer Assault with a black satin finish on back of the neck and it's starting to shine up from playing it. I'm just going to leave it.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72244
    Soap. The marks are caused by oils in the fingerprints, so you need something that will dissolve them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3493
    I use lighter fuel and a rag.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    edited August 2019
    A mildly moist cloth and shammy.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    damp cloth  with small amount washing up liquid on.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10254
    tFB Trader
    Isopropyl alcohol ... that's what I use  
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• FentoFento Frets: 1
    I used to use a microfiber cloth, with a small amount of baby shampoo and de-ionised water. worked a treat.