Selling Upgraded Guitar

What's Hot
thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
If I'm going to sell a guitar that has been upgraded; i.e. stock tuners changed to locking tuners, String Butler added, would you advise just selling it with the upgrades intact or removing them and selling them separately?

I'd think maybe, unless the buyer specifically wanted those mods, they wouldn't spend any more for it than they would if it was stock.

On the other hand, I might not get much for the upgraded parts if selling them individually (if they even sell) so it might be a better idea to just add them in as a bonus and possibly it will make the guitar more likely to sell for the normal price than if it was stock, even if I'd be losing a small amount of money that way.

What would you do?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    Personally I’d take the “upgrades” off and sell them separately 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 851
    I'd put it back to stock and keep the bits.
    For now. ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    Either way, you won't get the money back on the upgrades.
    I'd stick them in a parts drawer ready for any future upgrades you might want to carry out.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72241
    If it’s easy to take the upgrades off at no cost - ie you don’t have to pay someone to do it - and it won’t leave evidence of them being changed, like extra screw holes or marks in the finish, then it’s always better financially to remove them and return it to original. If you don’t, you’re always giving away either the new parts or the originals for nothing.

Personally I wouldn’t buy a guitar with a String Butler on unless I was certain that removing it would leave no marks, and I’m sure I’m not alone.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    ICBM said:
    If it’s easy to take the upgrades off at no cost - ie you don’t have to pay someone to do it - and it won’t leave evidence of them being changed, like extra screw holes or marks in the finish, then it’s always better financially to remove them and return it to original. If you don’t, you’re always giving away either the new parts or the originals for nothing.

Personally I wouldn’t buy a guitar with a String Butler on unless I was certain that removing it would leave no marks, and I’m sure I’m not alone.

Restored it to stock last night including removing the String Butler. Definitely didn't leave any marks, it just slides under the tuner nuts but glad I did in case it put someone off if they weren't sure it would or not.

The suggestions to store the extra parts for later use would be sensible for most people probably but my decision to sell the guitar is actually part of a plan to move away from LP style guitars in general so I don't plan on having any guitars that they would fit on.

Given that they probably wouldn't sell for much money, it might still be better to keep them just in case I change my mind in the future.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom