USB on Mixing desk for recording

What's Hot
Been reading some reviews of mixing desks for a new live band. As a feature, I see alot of them have a USB out for recording your performance (thats what the marketing blurb says). Would it be fair to say that most of this is a Stereo (left/right) mix rather than individual tracks?  I guess its model and manufacturer dependant... 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33780
    edited August 2019
    Often they are multichannel capable.

"At the theoretical maximum USB 2 bandwidth, you'd be able to record just over 40 tracks of 24-bit, 96kHz audio, while halving the sample rate to 48kHz would give you 80 tracks."

In reality you don't get that many channels glitch free over USB2, but you should at least get 16-24 channels at 48khz without any issue.
    The problem I have with most USB2 mixers is they don't bring a world class level of sound quality.
    Also, driver support isn't on par with the best of the best (RME, Focusrite Pro, UA)
    Which ones are you looking at?

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3036
    Yes, depends on model/manufacturer, but also depends what sort of USB connection.

If it's Type A (standard flat, rectangular shape) then it will probably be recording the stereo out.

If it is Type B (almost square) then you will probably be able to connect to a computer and record multiple tracks with a DAW.

R.
  • Yes it’s mostly desk dependant as to what you get and what you can achieve. Depending on finances a Dante equipped desk and a laptop is the way to go
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10393

I use a lot of A&H QU mixers for band work and installs. All you need to do with these is pop a USB pen key into the USB slot and hit record on the built in Q-Drive
    By default the first 18 tracks are recorded separately in 48K 24 bit which you can then mix down later using the mixer or load the wavs into Reaper. I've literally recorded hundreds of gigs like this
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3650
    I use a Zoom LiveTrak L-12 to record rehearsals.  I’ve also used it as PA mixer (although I prefer my Mackie DL 806 for gigs).  The Zoom can either record to SD card or over USB (and it can do both simultaneously if you require).  Worth a look at if it’s within budget as it’s very easy to use which is handy if you’re trying to play and record.
  • kennedydream1980kennedydream1980 Frets: 1155
    edited August 2019
    I run a Behringer Xair 18 with my band and record out via USB into a pretty mediocre laptop I picked up second hand for £50. The laptop runs Presonus Studio Artist which I use as the recording software. It runs just fine and records smoothly without any glitches. 
  • I run a Behringer Xair 18 with my band and record out via USB into a pretty mediocre laptop I picked up second hand for £50. The laptop runs Presonus Studio Artist which I use as the recording software. It runs just fine and records smoothly without any glitches. 
    I have the XR18, into Reaper. Works flawlessly. 

I used to use a Zoom R16, which is a recorder that does up to 8 tracks straight to SD card, then you drag the files into your DAW. Either works perfectly. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2082
    Danny1969 said:

I use a lot of A&H QU mixers for band work and installs. All you need to do with these is pop a USB pen key into the USB slot and hit record on the built in Q-Drive
    By default the first 18 tracks are recorded separately in 48K 24 bit which you can then mix down later using the mixer or load the wavs into Reaper. I've literally recorded hundreds of gigs like this
    Does this method record EQ and FX etc ...or is that optional ?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 349
    I’ve also used an XR18 for recording direct into a DAW via USB.  It can be configured to send the raw channels and/or the main and and aux buses, so basically you can record the channels and/or a mix.  On the raw channels you can also select the point in the processing chainthat gets sent via USB....on each channel.  Eg pre or post input gain, pre or post EQ etc.   So it’s pretty flexible.
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    edited August 2019
    Lots of good advice here.

Primarily itll be a live desk but if it has a recording option then that would be good. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10393
    spark240 said:
    Danny1969 said:

No it's all PFL and pre comp \ Eq  .... By default channel 17 and 18 ASIO record the main left and right output which is post everything  .... which is handy for a quick mix of big outdoor gigs where stage volume is insignificant to FOH but not so much for smaller gigs. 
    I've used the X32, the Studiolive 16:4:2, The Tascam DM4800 and a few others ... and while they can all record multitrack via an ASIO stream they need a laptop connected to do it. The built in QU drive on the A&H is just easier, less kit to carry and the desks also operate in HUI mode so you can use motorized automation in Reaper \ Logic \ Protools etc
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Danny1969 said:
    spark240 said:
    Danny1969 said:

No it's all PFL and pre comp \ Eq  .... By default channel 17 and 18 ASIO record the main left and right output which is post everything  .... which is handy for a quick mix of big outdoor gigs where stage volume is insignificant to FOH but not so much for smaller gigs. 
    I've used the X32, the Studiolive 16:4:2, The Tascam DM4800 and a few others ... and while they can all record multitrack via an ASIO stream they need a laptop connected to do it. The built in QU drive on the A&H is just easier, less kit to carry and the desks also operate in HUI mode so you can use motorized automation in Reaper \ Logic \ Protools etc
     Caveat on QU they are very fussy about which USB drive you use so check on the A&H site befor you try and record anything significant! Other than that it all works very easily
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    Ive had a bit of a Google and I can see that PreSonus do a desk which is alot cheaper and does record. 

Is it cheaper for a good reason I wonder?
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    Ditto above regards the Allen & Heath QU. Once you get a solid USB stick that works they are near faultless.

The new SQ series also does it and should be fairly glitch fee by now (can't speak from experience though).  SQ only does 16ch to USB compared to the QU 18ch
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3036
    andyoz said:
    Ditto above regards the Allen & Heath QU. Once you get a solid USB stick that works they are near faultless.
    I would strongly recommend using a USB SSD drive, rather than a USB stick.

R.