Cone collapse on a resonator guitar?

equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
My top E and B strings were choking out above the 12th fret on my resonator (Gretsch Honeydipper). At first I suspected wear on wooden biscuit-bridge but adjusting the strings on to fresh adjacent wood had no effect. So I took the cone out and sat it on a levelled flat glass surface and using a spirit level observed that the top of the cone where the biscuit sits was not in parallel to the cone's base,  but dipped one side.  

The guitar has not taken a hit to the bridge which is covered anyway by a metal palm shield. 
I'm assuming the top of the cone should be parallel to the base so I'm wondering what could have caused this?

I would have thought the cone wouldn't be compressed out of alignment by normal string pressure?

In the short term I've put the cone back in with the high side aligned with the top E which helps a touch.

Time for a new cone?
(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LewyLewy Frets: 4126
    Yes sounds like your cone has collapsed a bit....the biscuit should indeed be parallel. They can sometimes be massaged back into shape but you need to know where it’s deformed obviously.

My advice is to get onto Michael Messer’s forum and post some pics and ask for advice there. It’s the mother lode for all things resonator.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7731
    Cones are usually the first tonal upgrade so you may consider doing that. 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11789
    yes, you can buy them, not too pricey I think,