making offers to shops on used guitars

What's Hot
bloomerbloomer Frets: 207
I've seen a used custom shop strat I really like on the website of a major retailer but it's £2700 and when you consider that custom shops turn up on here all the the time for under 2k I really don't want to be paying that much! Is it considered outrageous to make an offer to a shop on used gear? If so what kind of offer do you think would be reasonable? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    Depends on the Custom Shop models, considering a good spec CS Strat is nearly £3.5k new 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Why not, worse that can happen is that they say no
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 730
    tFB Trader
    @Bloomer ... if you don't ask you don't get! Retailers are finding it hard too .. I'd always ask - worse they can say is no!
    www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    Cash is king, but some places are easier to negotiate with than others
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    Absolutely make an offer. I do it all the time and in most instances I get a deal.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Yeah walk in give it a play and ask what their best price is. You'll probs save a couple of hundred just by asking
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4254
    Like Collings above, I would always make an offer, usually get something. In fact, I am likely to walk away if there is not some sort of reduction, even if I really want it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    It's always worth a go - and it is kind of "the done thing" with guitar shops.  Even I haggle a bit and I'm one of the most socially awkward, least confident people you could ever meet.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7083
    You can't pay wages or rent with unsold guitars.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 735
    ANYTHING used is fair game as far as I’m concerned. Find out the best original sale price if you can/it was originally sold in the age of the internet. If it’s more than 70% of the new price you’ve got loads of wiggle room!

You can always walk away and leave your number. Selling any item in almost any industry for over £2.5k could be the difference between a good and a bad weekend, week or month for some shops, regardless of the profit they make. Summer is usually slow in retail.. 
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    Don’t feel bad. Id ask for the best price on new gear.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Guitar shops are no different to any other shops that sell 2nd hand goods. Haggling is more or less expected.
    Or 'de rigueur' if you want to get pretentious about it.
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2724
    stonevibe said:
    You can't pay wages or rent with unsold guitars.
    Or profit......
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 4979
    Personally if I’m interested in used gear in a shop I ask them what their best price is rather than just make an offer. Then if their best price is still more than you want to pay, you can always try a lower offer. Good luck with it.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Do some people really haggle with shops for brand new guitars?

Are we only talking Custom Shop level or even for like 600 quid production models?
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 4979
    edited August 2019
    thegummy said:

Are we only talking Custom Shop level or even for like 600 quid production models?
    I don’t buy new guitars but if I did I’d certainly ask first “is that your best price”? Why wouldn’t anyone do that? 

I’ve bought a few used pieces from a certain well known high-end guitar retailer and have always got a better deal than the advertised price. I can’t believe people would just stump up the ticket price without even politely asking if there’s a deal to be had!
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummy said:

Is that a serious question?

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    thegummy said:

I don’t buy new guitars but if I did I’d certainly ask first “is that your best price”? Why wouldn’t anyone do that? 
    Cause it's a pure brass neck lol
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    You have to riffle a big wad of cash right under their noses.
    I don't know if it's the look of the cash or the smell of it but it often catches their attention.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    Sassafras said:
    You have to riffle a big wad of cash right under their noses.
    I don't know if it's the look of the cash or the smell of it but it often catches their attention.
    Does this actually work at shops anymore? It costs a fortune now to handle cash at the bank and it’s a huge inconvenience time-wise too...