making offers to shops on used guitars

What's Hot

Comments

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    Set out your position first, ie I really like this but I know I can pick them up used for £x. I'm a cash / credit card / finance buyer, what sort of deal can you do? 

Do it all with a smile and you often get good results. 

Cash, today in their account can be extremely helpful for businesses, don't forget that! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    Or just buy from people that don't overprice there stuff to begin with. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    thegummy said:
    Do some people really haggle with shops for brand new guitars?

Are we only talking Custom Shop level or even for like 600 quid production models?
    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/160006/your-best-guitar-related-shop-haggles/p1
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11540
    tFB Trader
    A lot of secondhand guitars you see in shops are actually being sold on commission for guys like yourselves. 
    The shop may well listen but they'd have to go and ask the person selling if they'll take less for their guitar (shop will be working on 10 or 15-20% these days in most cases). 
    Because of eBay and Reverb, sites like this and so forth few will sell outright to a shop at a price that the shop would wish to have enough margin to have money tied up in stock that may or may not sell like they would pre-internet, so sales on a commission basis are more likely

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    edited August 2019
    thegummy said:

Are we only talking Custom Shop level or even for like 600 quid production models?
    Nope. Everything. Even strings
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    TINMAN82 said:
    thegummy said:
    Do some people really haggle with shops for brand new guitars?

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/160006/your-best-guitar-related-shop-haggles/p1
    Oof, kind of scary that I completely forgot asking the same question one month ago.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11540
    edited August 2019 tFB Trader
    By all means ask, but don't be offended or put off the shop if they can't comply.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Always put in an offer , nothing to loose everything to gain
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    Personally if I’m interested in used gear in a shop I ask them what their best price is rather than just make an offer. Then if their best price is still more than you want to pay, you can always try a lower offer. Good luck with it.
    I tend to take the opposite approach in many instances. I always know what i'm willing to pay and I just offer them that always stating if they accept I'll buy the guitar that day and pay by any method that suits them although these days that tends to make no difference.

I guess there is the chance with this approach that I may pay more than the lowest price they would have accepted.

I think its good to build up good relationships with the dealers over years, so for the ones I generally buy from, they already know i'm a serious if I enquire about a guitar and very often they will always say "we can do you a good deal on that as its you" and we go from there. I got some significant reductions from the price tag over the years.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72204
    As long as you ask sensibly and not with a “you’ll never get that for it” type attitude, you have nothing to lose and the shop should not take offence. But as already said, it’s quite likely they’re selling it on commission for a customer and they may have little room for movement.

The difference between £2700 and a typical private sale price of £2000 also reflects that with a shop, you’re getting a guarantee (or you should be from any reputable one), you can use a credit card, and they may accept trade-ins, all of which you won’t get with a private seller - so if you’re paying cash and not trading anything in there may still be a small amount of room for negotiation. Don’t be surprised if the important word is ‘small’ though...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Don't waste the shops time as a time waster/tyre kicker, once you get to the talking money stage. If they offer you a good reduction be ready to go ahead with the purchase.  After negotiating  a good deal it's not on to say 'Yeah I'll think about it' .

• lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2511
    When I've sold on commission the shop would say something like... We'll put it up for this to give us some wiggle room and then they ask what your bottom line is. So there is nearly always room for an offer ;)
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5400
    ... and don't forget shops have to charge 20% VAT on their markup from whatever they paid for it as well.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11444
    A lot of secondhand guitars you see in shops are actually being sold on commission for guys like yourselves. 
    The shop may well listen but they'd have to go and ask the person selling if they'll take less for their guitar (shop will be working on 10 or 15-20% these days in most cases). 
    Because of eBay and Reverb, sites like this and so forth few will sell outright to a shop at a price that the shop would wish to have enough margin to have money tied up in stock that may or may not sell like they would pre-internet, so sales on a commission basis are more likely

There is still room for movement there though.  I've sold stuff on commission several times.  Often you agree with the shop that they will put a price on the ticket, but will take an offer.  For example, you might price it at £800, but they will sell it if someone offers £750.  Anything below £750 and they call me.  The exact numbers may vary, but every time I've sold on commission it's been that kind of arrangement.

On occasions, some mug has paid full price, and the optimistic price has worked out.  Other times I've had phone calls asking me if I'm willing to take a significantly lower price.

I tend to be guided by the shop on the ticket price, as they have more expertise than me, but sometimes sellers can be too optimistic on price.  I remember a conversation with the manager of a shop that did commission sales about a guitar that was overpriced.  It was on commission, and that was what the seller wanted.  Maybe that's the case with the CS Strat that started the thread.

If you aren't in a hurry to sell, sometimes you start optimistic and reduce it if it doesn't sell.  I did that with a PRS once.  Started high, and it didn't sell in a few months, so reduced it by £200.  Ended up taking an offer of £100 below that, but still got £200 or so more than the low ball offers I was getting in the classifieds here, for a lot less hassle.

As others have said, there has always been a culture of haggling in guitar shops.  Shops used to price with some haggle room built in, so you could normally get 10% off of anything.  With the internet, and everyone comparing prices these days, that kind of pricing doesn't really happen any more, but you can normally still get something.

A lot of the time, pricing has finance deals and free shipping built in - with the possibility of a customer return as well.  If there is a finance deal, the shop will pay a fee to the finance company (3%?? - not sure of the exact amount).  If you are there in person, so there is no shipping for them to pay, with a card that goes straight into their account, and no risk to them of you sending it back a week later under distance selling, there is normally some wiggle room.

Sometimes it's easier to ask for accessories.  If you ask for £100 worth of case, strap, lead and strings to be thrown in, it will only cost them the trade price, so it's £60 or so for them, which is easier than giving you £100 cash.  At the very least, you should be able to get a set or two of strings thrown in. 

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    Always worth a punt.  Depends if it is on "Consigment" sale for a punter or not, if it's a sunk cost (ie. trade credit expired on the item and shop has had to pay for it), and a long list of other constraints on the shop.  But do ask.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • JackobeanJackobean Frets: 667
    I usually aim for at least 10% off if it's a fairly high end item. Otherwise I'll probably walk away.
  • JackobeanJackobean Frets: 667
    edited August 2019
    -
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3971
    crunchman said:

On occasions, some mug has paid full price, and the optimistic price has worked out.  

This doesn't necessarily make them the mug. Maybe you could have asked for more.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11444
    prlgmnr said:
    crunchman said:

On occasions, some mug has paid full price, and the optimistic price has worked out.  

This doesn't necessarily make them the mug. Maybe you could have asked for more.

Maybe I should have asked for more, but they were still mugs.  Whatever the asking price was, there was a little bit of give in it.
  • Always haggle on stuff in shops. I really don’t see the problem if you’re a genuine buyer and polite about it.

Just the other day I haggled £200 of the price of a used Les Paul Standard I’m Guitar Guitar. I got it for a decent price and I’m very sure they wouldn’t have accepted if they weren’t making a profit on it still.