Changing (not clipping) bright cap on deluxe reverb

What's Hot
Could the bright cap be changed for a different value to give a slight presence boost at low volumes rather than a massive spike?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Could the bright cap be changed for a different value to give a slight presence boost at low volumes rather than a massive spike?
    Yes. The stock value is 47pF, so you could try 22pF or 10pF.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Cool. No reason I couldn’t have all 3 on a 3 way mini switch next to the volume I suppose - never selling the amp and the circuit is already modded so not bothered about a small hole in the front panel. 

Could even look into eventually having something similar for the mids too...

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    You could try different values on a push-pull pot until you find the one you like best?

IME every time I've built switching in to select different tone stack values I end up having a favourite and leaving it there, so I never drill holes these days!
  • That’s a good idea, thanks.
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2569
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    47p on a 1M pot should really not be giving a massive boost unless you are playing with the volume really low

Give it a try and report back though
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 789
    edited August 2019
    ICBM said:
    47p on a 1M pot should really not be giving a massive boost unless you are playing with the volume really low

Give it a try and report back though
    I basically use the bright channel blended in with the normal channel for playing very quietly at home. When I’m playing louder the normal channel is bright enough on its own. 

I’m probably going to put a different speaker in first though - there’s a Cannabis Rex in there right now, so something a bit more Jensen-voiced might brighten up the normal channel enough for low volume without needing the effect of a bright cap. 

Still not quite decided between Jensen Neo Tornado, Eminence GA-SC64 or Warehouse G12C.
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3021
    ICBM said:
    Won't that just change the frequency of the boost, rather than the level?

I'd try putting a resistor in series with the cap - try 100K. Or even a pot or trimmer so you can adjust to find the sweet spot.

R.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 789
    edited August 2019
    ICBM said:

I'd try putting a resistor in series with the cap - try 100K. Or even a pot or trimmer so you can adjust to find the sweet spot.

R.
    A pot on the back of the chassis would be really handy actually. Or a trimmer on the front panel if it was really small. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    robinbowes said:

Yes, but given the very limited top-end response if the speaker, shifting the frequency higher will also effectively reduce the effect.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• ICBM said:
    Does clipping the bright cap work on a DRRI the same as it does on the earlier blackface and silverface handwired DRs? Thanks.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • gringopig said:
    I got a push pull fitted on mine:

That’s a neat solution. Does the volume still have the same sweep etc?
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • Just clip the bright cap i did on my blackface deluxe and never looked back. I just desoldered one leg and taped it up. It won't be going back anytime soon. The allesandro sc64 is the perfect deluxe reverb speaker
    . Imho. Like the original oxford it sounds wonderful
  • gringopig said:
    gringopig said:
    I got a push pull fitted on mine:

That’s a neat solution. Does the volume still have the same sweep etc?
    Same value, same type, yes/

That’s really smart. I think I’ll look into one next service. 

captainbeeffart said:
    Just clip the bright cap i did on my blackface deluxe and never looked back. I just desoldered one leg and taped it up. It won't be going back anytime soon. The allesandro sc64 is the perfect deluxe reverb speaker
    . Imho. Like the original oxford it sounds wonderful
    For me it was a toss-up between a GA-SC64 and the Celestion G12H Creamback. Went with G12H in the end, just because I’m familiar with the Non-creamback version I’ve heard in other amps and it sounds absolutely great in the DRRI,, but I can’t help but wonder what the SC64 would have sounded like, plus it’s a few lbs lighter. Might keep my eyes out for a second hand one to try at some point.
  • JonPJonP Frets: 48
    Thought I'd chip in with good speaker option for Deluxe Reverb. I use a WGS G12A in my Custom 64 HW Deluxe Reverb - sounds incredible. I found the stock Jensen C12Q broke up much too soon and the DRRI C12N was far too loud. The WGS G12A is a great balance between headroom and warm breakup.