Good guitar shops for a set up in Glasgow

What's Hot
shaunk26shaunk26 Frets: 25
Hello there

This is probably only for a limited amount of people on the site because of the location.
Can anyone recommend any of the Glasgow guitar shops or surrounding areas for a set up? 
2004 Gibson Les Paul Standard ltd edition, 2012 Fender strat 70s re-issue, 2018 Epiphone Texan
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• andypandyp Frets: 332
    Jimmy Egypt out on Great Western Road. My old man used him for a re-fret and I had my SG set up there. First class both times. Has a good reputation all round I think.

• teradaterada Frets: 5113
    I know nothing of techs in Glasgow. 

But jimmy egypt is a quality name. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I think @ICBM does set ups, doesn't he?
    Can't remember what the shop's called.
    G-String or something?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    If Edinburgh’s not too far away Chris Mcintyre is excellent.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    Does ICBM still work in Glasgow? 

I took mine to Moon once for a partial refret dress and set up. Was well done and not that expensive. 
    I meant to say, I was £110 I think, for a new nut and full setup. It sounds dear but transformed the guitar that I thought was pretty ok as it was. I'd go back there for any of this stuff after that. Think I had to wait 10 days or so, but that wasn't an issue.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9610
    edited August 2019
    terada said:

Glasgow might be too pharoah way for you.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunk26shaunk26 Frets: 25
    Thanks Andy. I’ve been hearing good things about strung out guitars as well. 
    2004 Gibson Les Paul Standard ltd edition, 2012 Fender strat 70s re-issue, 2018 Epiphone Texan
    It's Strung Out that ICBM works at, I believe. I've never been there though but keep meaning to visit.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Calum13Calum13 Frets: 37
    Strung out or the guy downstairs in GuitarGuitar.
  • Haven't used them for work, but my experience of Strung Out is A1 
  • PCGPCG Frets: 14
    Some good suggestions in this thread already but I’ll add another option.  The Guitar Workshop in Finnieston did a good job of replacing the nut on, and generally setting up, my ES335.

https://www.instagram.com/theguitarworkshop/
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    PCG said:
    Some good suggestions in this thread already but I’ll add another option.  The Guitar Workshop in Finnieston did a good job of replacing the nut on, and generally setting up, my ES335.

This guy is top notch. I've had a few things done that could be difficult and he was up front about the possibilities but then went on to exceed my expectations with what was possible. Highly recommended.

I've actually had a bad experience with one of the shops in Glasgow but not sure it would be fair to name them since I didn't go back and confront them at the time (I was extremely busy at that point), I just decided to go elsewhere in future.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2593
    edited August 2019
    Nice vibe in Strung Out but I've never had any work done by them (bit far away from me).

Chris McIntyre in Edinburgh is good, but get a price agreed up front and a clear understanding that that's the total amount you will actually pay - I've twice had bills from him that were higher than I believe we agreed.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    andyp said:
    It's Strung Out that ICBM works at, I believe. I've never been there though but keep meaning to visit.

I called in there last Saturday to say ‘hello’ to him - he only works there on Thursdays I believe. It’s a proper ‘old school’, small, independent guitar shop - I really liked it.
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    terada said:

Glasgow might be too pharoah way for you.
    Where do you Sphinx I live?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1031
    andyp said:

Strung out have worked on a number of guitars for me - always been very happy, work is always top notch and they are a pleasure to deal with :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    You could always approach John @ICBM directly and perhaps cut out the middle man. Do you have your own customer base too John?

• gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4258
    thegummy said:
    PCG said:

This guy is top notch. I've had a few things done that could be difficult and he was up front about the possibilities but then went on to exceed my expectations with what was possible. Highly recommended.

I've actually had a bad experience with one of the shops in Glasgow but not sure it would be fair to name them since I didn't go back and confront them at the time (I was extremely busy at that point), I just decided to go elsewhere in future.
    Would agree with this. Ian is a top man, young, enthusiastic and knowledgeable. His main concern is getting it exactly right to your requirements. I have used all the Glasgow stores at some point in the past, but have only taken my guitars to Ian in recent years.