Turning down a great gig

What's Hot
StephenBStephenB Frets: 75
Hi guys,

Looking for advice on this one - last night my band had our first show (Monday night, acoustic set). The usual line up for the band is fully electric with a full drum setup however our drummer is away until September so we decided to play an acoustic gig to keep ourselves limber. 

After the gig we were offered a Saturday night headline slot in a very well known live music venue in the city centre and a reasonable payout as well (the original band that were to play have broken up). I couldn't believe our luck as getting gigs (let alone paid gigs) in a band that plays original music is just impossible.

So here's the problem - our Drummer and other guitar player are  both away and on the date of the gig. My suggestion was to use the payout from the gig to cover their transport back to Ireland so they can play the show however I'm getting a lot of kickback from the other guitarist about this.

Basically what I'm asking is - should we try to get the other guys in the band home for the gig and if not - what's the best way to politely decline the gig in such a way that it won't diminish our chances for another one!

Cheers all!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    edited August 2019
    Seems reasonable and it's an investment in a future residency gig.

Alternatively, providing they meet the standard and it's not a hassle, could you not use deps? Being a paid gig will help with that.

Good luck
  • Revolting1Revolting1 Frets: 295
    edited August 2019
    Kebabkid said:
    Seems reasonable and it's an investment in a future residency gig.

Alternatively, providing they meet the standard and it's not a hassle, could you not use deps? Being a paid gig will help with that.

Good luck
      As above or potentially agree that the same applies to all band members if a similar situation occurs.
        Worth it if its a top venue and well paid.

Organising musicians can be like herding cats.
    When logic and proportion
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3135
    As it was an acoustic show that went down well and led to you being offered the gig, surely you could just do it as an acoustic show minus those members? Use it to drum up support for the band and hopefully get you that repeat booking as the full band. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • steven70steven70 Frets: 1262
    edited August 2019
    Sounds like you'll be doing the venue a favour if their act has pulled out.
    You could call them and make clear you will be bringing the 'trimmed down' acoustic lineup - so the expectations are set.
    I imagine they will be grateful.

And ask for a 'proper line up' gig later in the year as well.
    If you have the material and can pull it off- I'd do it.
    If the absent members don't like it, or you feel uncomfortable, call it something else to distinguish...you got 2 bands then...Ker-Ching!!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    We have been in this situation once or twice. I love my band but I’ll be buggered if I’m cancelling a long-standing holiday to play a show. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Just do it acoustically unless the two absentees absolutely want to do it.