How much gear do you have for gigs?

What's Hot
monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
in Live tFB Trader
Amongst the bands I've played with recently (both mostly playing pubs) one of them would have:

Tops on poles
A pair of subs 
A couple of big amps to power them
a big mixer
full foldback with a foldback mix
A rack with compressors and reverbs etc.
Various lights on mounts
All instruments miced up. 

The other band
Played out of amps
Shitty powered mixer into a pair of tops for vox
No foldback at all

I'm really not sure if the lack of gear of the latter band made that much difference to the audience (though how you're meant to sing without foldback is a puzzle to me)

Thinking about a new project and if it can cope with being light on gear or if it really makes a difference to the punters to have the extra stuff. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    Saw a pub band this weekend.
    They had individual amps for guitar, bass, keys.
    3 mics in to pa.
    2 pa speakers - 12"
    2 small floor monitors - at a guess 10"
    1 power amp
    no lights
    no backdrop or drapes etc
    sound-wise it was fine
    looks wise, no lights / drapes meant they created no image / atmosphere
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    In my last band we had a banner made and had lights and probably 9/10 times we couldn't use either/ or due to space limitations. It was a 6 piece band but unless a pub has a decent stage area once you have a drum kit set up you are already running out of room.

We increased our PA set up over time but that seemed to just increase the amount of stuff to lump in and out and the number of things to go wrong.
    Essentially it was very hard to get the band members to understand that we could get a better balance between ourselves and not just to try to fix it with the PA.

For things like festivals or support slots then PA and lights are supplied anyway. I appreciate that if you are playing functions you need a decent PA to get that very balanced sound across potentially quite big rooms that won't have a band style PA set up. For the pub circuit IMHO you can get away with something smaller provided you use it intelligently. The next step up is then club type venues where you don't need your own PA / lights.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    We have three singers, two guitars, sax, keys, bass and kick drum DI'd  through the PA, with vocals and acoustic guitar coming back through the monitors. In addition the bass, keys and my guitar all use our own amps, set at low levels so that on stage sound is a mix of PA and personal equipment. The advantage of this is that we use the same levels live and in rehearsal, and let the PA do the work. We can then turn up or DOWN to suit the venue. We tend to get re-booked because the bar staff can hear what their customers say, and the customers can talk to each other.

12 channel PA
    3 singers' mica
    1 mic on kick drum
    Powered speakers, and if it's a largish venue then we add a sub
    2 KAM light bars set to sound activated
    Backwash and backdrop if the venue is suitable

Next step is to add some small spots, probably PAR30s, with a controller so that we can highlight singers, sax and guitar when we feature. The debate is around how we control these, and whether we add haze.

Where's the venue has a PA we still tend to use our own because we know it, and the sound is generally better. If the venue has lights then we still use our own, and may add theirs as well if they fit in.

How much do we need? I'd say all of this because it's consistent at all gigs, and allows us to get the appropriate volume. I think the lights are important because they are part of the show.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Not that we play that often these days ....

Done away with monitors

2 x 12" on poles
    Backline to mixer via DIs
    Drummer seems to prefer his electronic kit these days  - which is dead easy stereo cable to mixer
    4 mics into 20 channel mixer
    Mixer -> power amp for speakers
    Mixer (4 Aux channels) -> IEM

Lighting via 2x iColor 4 with DMX controller
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    This is gonna sound crazy but we have a lighting guy who turns up first in a small van and erects a whole load of static and moving head DMX lights, smoke and lazers. That's all controlled by a DMX desk at FOH position

Then the band turns up in a special 4.5 ton Jumbo Transit (normal 3.5 ton van would be overloaded) We have normal backline, Marshall, Fender, AER ect but everything is mic'ed and plugged into a digital stage box. Then a Cat 5 cable takes those signals to a digital desk at FOH posiiton which has far more processing power than you could ever fit in a rack.
    For monitoring we have an IEM rack which supplies 3 members of the band in stereo and 2 members use wedges. I have an A&H ME-1 which sends all 32 digital stems to me separately so I can adjust my own IEM mix myself 

It's completely over the top I spose and a lot of guys in other bands are always telling me it's not necessary etc ..... but they are always guys gig'ing pubs and clubs for £250 - £600 tops. We might have twice the gear but we can get twice the money 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bluechargeboybluechargeboy Frets: 1894

Acoustic band here. We have:

Acoustic guitar --> PA

Double bass --> PA

Cajon/Djembe/Cymbal --> PA

Mics / mixer / amp / 2xspeakers

No vocals so we are an easy set-up! Monitors and subs if we think we need them, which we usually don't. Will use the house PA if there is one. Will play without any amplification if the venue warrants it. No lights, no smoke, no banners. I have got an exciting guitar strap though. :)

If we are organising an outdoorer we may take the mighty Ampeg SVT for the double bass. It sounds AWESOME in the original sense of the word.

I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    That's the point ^ I guess. If you are going to be playing pubs for beer money how much do you want to invest and what's the point in a truck load of gear that fills half the pub?
    On the other hand if I'm paying £1500 for a band to play my wedding then I expect more than a drum kit and everything else through a 1974 Carlsbro two channel PA head.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    The more I think about it the more it seems like the two best approaches are diametrically opposed so either:

Play out of amps with some basic vocal PA

DI everything (perhaps not even have amps) and use IEMs

Anyone doing the latter?
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    I used to think Joe Public didn't notice if you had a shit PA, but the difference between a powerful rig on tickover and a small outdated rig on the edge is night and day. Listening fatigue sets in quite fast with the poor quality sound, you could be louder and not get accused of it by using a crystal clear sound as long as the rig doesn't 'look' loud.

I'm always more comfortable performing with a well spec'd sound system (I sing and play) but can perform with lesser rigs. Since I do this for pleasure (aparantly) why would I subject myself to difficult conditions and my audience to an ear bashing.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • bluechargeboybluechargeboy Frets: 1894

Having played in loud electric bands I am now in an acoustic outfit without a full drum kit, and I would not go back to a stupid high on-stage volume. In my youth sound engineers used to tell us to use 10W amps and mic them; we thought they were idiots.....they weren't.

I like the idea of an IEM mix so you don't have to crank a 50W Marshall to keep up with the drummer.

This may be the least rock and roll thing I've ever written. :D

I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    TBH I'd ask a more basic question - who is going to pay for this?Is the new band is being funded by a joint ( or an individual's) pot of money where you can invest in PA, lights,etc, or is this a bunch of people bringing what they have to the band ( bass gear, drum kit,etc,etc) with no funding for shared gear? Once the band starts earning does that money get re-invested in band gear or go to the individual members?
    Often the amps+ basic vocal PA approach is there because it is the simplest way to glue together a bunch of people who have invested heavilly in their own gear but not in band gear.
    edited May 2014 tFB Trader
    TBH I'd ask a more basic question - who is going to pay for this?Is the new band is being funded by a joint ( or an individual's) pot of money where you can invest in PA, lights,etc, or is this a bunch of people bringing what they have to the band ( bass gear, drum kit,etc,etc) with no funding for shared gear? Once the band starts earning does that money get re-invested in band gear or go to the individual members?
    Often the amps+ basic vocal PA approach is there because it is the simplest way to glue together a bunch of people who have invested heavilly in their own gear but not in band gear.
    You've absolutely hit the nail on the head. 

In one of the bands I'm in this has been a crippling problem from the start. No one owns a PA and most members of the band are in multiple bands and don't have a vast amount of money to invest upfront so we haven't bought one in advance, but because the band has multiple vocals, brass and keys it requires a decent PA which means we are always scrabbling around borrowing stuff and not getting the gigs we might otherwise get (which in turn leads to lack of commitment and funds to invest in new kit)

So for a new project I need to get it right from day one because it's caused me such a headache.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    edited May 2014
    You've absolutely hit the nail on the head. 
    In one of the bands I'm in this has been a crippling problem from the start. No one owns a PA and most members of the band are in multiple bands and don't have a vast amount of money to invest upfront so we haven't bought one in advance, but because the band has multiple vocals, brass and keys it requires a decent PA which means we are always scrabbling around borrowing stuff and not getting the gigs we might otherwise get (which in turn leads to lack of commitment and funds to invest in new kit)

So for a new project I need to get it right from day one because it's caused me such a headache.
    About 10 years ago I had the same problem. My solution was to haunt eBay until a sensible PA came up. Ideally something little used from someone who'd overbought, or started a band which folded. Actually I picked up desk and speakers separately, Made the cables myself, and added other bits as I needed them. It's difficult to assign it a pay back period. It was more "if I don't do this then the band will never get off the ground". 

It's usually difficult for one person to fund the whole lot. In that case I'd rather that each person buys part of it, rather than "the band shares it" because then it's totally clear what happens if the band folds or someone leaves.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    tFB Trader
    Roland said:
    About 10 years ago I had the same problem. My solution was to haunt eBay until a sensible PA came up. Ideally something little used from someone who'd overbought, or started a band which folded. Actually I picked up desk and speakers separately, Made the cables myself, and added other bits as I needed them. It's difficult to assign it a pay back period. It was more "if I don't do this then the band will never get off the ground". 

It's usually difficult for one person to fund the whole lot. In that case I'd rather that each person buys part of it, rather than "the band shares it" because then it's totally clear what happens if the band folds or someone leaves.
    I'd really like to do that as there is a real "PA is power" thing in bands, but unfortunately at the time I joined this one I was broke with a baby on the way and with a house too small to store it and a car too small to shift it.

The situation is slightly better now and I've just discovered that the prospective drummer has access to a basic PA so it's looking up for getting up and running fairly quick.
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 531
    edited May 2014
    1 x guitar amp
    1 x bass amp
    1 x  25 year old Peavey mixer amp.
    2 x 12" pa speakers (tops?)
    2 x 10" monitors

nice and simple !

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357

The startup costs can be a problem. One solution is maybe  one band member can take out a loan for 3K or whatever and the first 10 gigs have to pay for it. From then on your fine but obviously you need to know your gonna stick together and not split up 4 gigs down the line 

All our gears paid for but there's still the running cost of the van, so £50 or so is put up every month to cover insurance, mot etc. The thing is there is a big profit in gigging and it's very enjoyable so it's worth the effort in the long run
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    tFB Trader
    Danny1969 said:

The startup costs can be a problem. One solution is maybe  one band member can take out a loan for 3K or whatever and the first 10 gigs have to pay for it. From then on your fine but obviously you need to know your gonna stick together and not split up 4 gigs down the line 

All our gears paid for but there's still the running cost of the van, so £50 or so is put up every month to cover insurance, mot etc. The thing is there is a big profit in gigging and it's very enjoyable so it's worth the effort in the long run
    I've seen that work in the past with the "Invisible Member" in a previous band the band as a whole owned the PA, but you didn't get a share of it if you left it stayed with the band and a share of the take went into the PA/other expenses fund.

• koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4125
    I think it depends on what you call a shitty PA, small and compact doesn't have to be shit.
    Learn how to use your gear that you have, and play accordingly. 
    Too often people equate amount of gear with quality, you can have best PA, but if you play too loud, you will still piss landlord or client off. 
    I used to play on country circuit where money is better than pub circuit, but I used to take a full EV rig with bins, tops, power amps and rack stuff, plus all the monitors. It used to take an hour to set up and sound check, plus a long time to pack up. And at the end of it all, who really notices? 
    As long as the sound is good and you are loud enough, job is done.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    we're totally ghetto. We have a 4 channel behringer mixer goign into a QSC power amp driving a pair of peavey missions, this handles vocals only.

Then cos our drummer is deaf as a psot we run a tiddly "kustom" PA which takes a aux send from the vocals along with mic signal from the 2 guitar amps so the drummer can hear us, using the second speaker for a bit of vocal foldback.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6435
    Just an aside, really, but i never see why bands would turn up to your average pub, function or wedding with two subs. You only need one sub, surely?